myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD 8'5 Wasup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: RRD 8'5 Wasup Reply with quote

Anyone try this board for light onshore small wave sailing....Just want to play around in the mush at Pismo beach....
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it, so my opinion is based only on seeing someone sail the wassup 8.5 in light winds on flat water, very slowly with most of the board underwater, not making much upwind progress.

The wassup should be fun on a wave but shlogging it upwind through the waves could take a while in light onshore conditions, limiting the number of waves caught per session. For onshore conditions you might want to consider something a foot or two longer with more volume and maybe a daggerboard to cut upwind better.

The folks who really love sub-9' sailable sups seem to be the folks who can sail them in sideshore or side-off condtions with 10+ mph wind and good waves.

eghoffman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capetonian has one - I think he posted in these two forums:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26753&highlight=wassup

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26498&highlight=wassup

I sailed it on flat water, but had no problem with sinking (7.0, about 10 mph, about 160 pounds). Also, from personal experience, you can easily sail a sub-9 foot SUP in less than 10 mph. I feel comfortable going down to about 7 or so in the waves, as long as it's not directly onshore.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail a RRD Wassup in cross on winds at County Line in Los Angeles. It is a breeze to get out through the waves in those conditions, but I think as d0uglass suggests, in straight onshore conditions a longer board would be better. The volume is about 135 L, so up to about 240 lbs it won't sink under you. I used to weigh 215 lb when I bought it and it never felt like it lacked volume.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get upwind non planing, just ride the whitewater on the way in to get maximum upwind, then it won't matter when you head out thru the whitewater, you're already well upwind!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: