myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders if the US Chamber of Commerce's survey included the question whether small business executives actually cared about offering their employees quality healthcare coverage as part of their benefits package. No doubt, if they had the nerve to ask such a pertinent question, I'm guessing that we would see a very low percentage. Of course, that presumes that respondents would offer honest responses.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chamber of Commerce surveys are special. Those surveyed are not chosen at random. Need I say more?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics Opinions Local More
POSTPARTISAN
The Insiders: Obamacare is falling apart
By Ed Rogers,  Published: JULY 19, 3:24 PM ET
      Aa  
As the reality of Obamacare emerges, a disastrous calamity imposed on the American people, even the most compliant members of the Obama fan club are beginning to panic. Three union presidents have sent Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi a scathing letter decrying Obamacare, showing just how out-of-control this law has become. This astonishing reversal has been underreported so far, except by the ever-vigilant Tom Gara in the Wall Street Journal.

The fact is that the crater of Obamacare is getting deeper, with sharper edges. The unions are first-tier political allies of President Obama and the Democratic Party, and it was surely their last resort to put their grievances with Obamacare in writing in the public sphere. A lot must have happened behind the scenes before they felt sufficiently frustrated with the Obama administration to take this step.

In a joint letter, James P. Hoffa of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Joseph Hansen of the UFCW and D. Taylor of UNITE-HERE state that Obamacare will "destroy the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class" and "destroy the very health and wellbeing of our members along with millions of other hardworking Americans." And they highlight their buyer's remorse:

We have been strong supporters of the notion that all Americans should have access to quality, affordable health care. We have also been strong supporters of you. In campaign after campaign we have put boots on the ground, gone door-to-door to get out the vote, run phone banks and raised money to secure this vision. Now this vision has come back to haunt us.

You can feel their anxiety and boiling frustration coming through.

What does falling apart look like for Obamacare, if not this?

The goal for the White House over the next 15 months is to make sure the 2014 elections will not just be a referendum on Obamacare. And it may find that it's not easy to persuade its Democratic allies to stick with the White House talking points and walk off an electoral cliff. As the union bosses pointed out to Reid and Pelosi, "Congress wrote this law; we voted for you. We have a problem; you need to fix it." It’s one thing for the Democrats to dismiss American businesses as whiners. It’s another for them to belittle union leaders.

And, oh by the way, the Department of Health and Human Services Web site shows that the administration is now backpedaling on Obama's promise that "If you have insurance that you like, then you will be able to keep that insurance. If you've got a doctor that you like, you will be able to keep your doctor." Well, apparently not. As the union presidents point out, "That promise is hollow."

One of the frequently asked questions on the HHS Web site is, "Can I keep my own doctor?" The HHS answer to this question has evolved; currently, the answer is, "Depending on the plan you choose in the Marketplace, you may be able to keep your current doctor." (Emphasis is mine.) In other words, the HHS language are weasel words that can be interpreted as "No, you cannot keep your own doctor." Obamacare makes sure that it's impractical or just plain impossible to do so.

The cumulatively building, rolling deceit is only going to get worse between now and the 2014 elections. Along with the necessity of the employer-mandate delay, hiding the unflattering facts about Obamacare is only going to get harder as the partial implementation of the law becomes reality. Even the core constituencies of the Democratic coalition know they can’t live with or accept the blame for the disaster that is coming.

Show Comments (99)
MORE FROM POSTPARTISAN
Texas’s TRAP for women
James McAuley JULY 18, 6:19 PM ET
The various legislatures are not concerned about the health of women.
Time to fix the rest of it: Executive branch nomination reform now!
Jonathan Bernstein JULY 18, 3:59 PM ET
Too much vetting makes for a government that doesn't function well.
PostScript: Milbank and repeal redux
Rachel Manteuffel JULY 18, 2:45 PM ET
Readers respond to Milbank on Affordable Care Act repeal lunacy.
MORE
Contact us
Privacy policy
My Account
Sign In
Subscribe
© Copyright 1996-2013 The Washington Post
View desktop site
POSTPARTISAN
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bard, "where's the beef"? Roger's commentary shows just how bankrupt the Republicans are in their whining about the ACA. Like they really care what union leaders are saying. It's pitiful when folks attempt to use those that they normally detest and complain about to sell their worthless BS.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now DNC ex-chairman Dr. Howard Dean is raising holy hell about Obamacare's IPAB death panels ... the same healthcare rationing panels Sarah Palin accurately exposed many years ago to left wing derision.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fabricator wrote:
Now DNC ex-chairman Dr. Howard Dean is raising holy hell about Obamacare's IPAB death panels ... the same healthcare rationing panels Sarah Palin accurately exposed many years ago to left wing derision.

And in the real world that deals with real facts...... nobody seems to know much or care about this less-than-trivial issue, in which Dean advocates FOR the patient but was grossly distorted by the rabid right media and shills like Mr. Fick-shun.

And yet, here's Mikey, trying desperately to make something out of nothing. (He didn't raise "holy hell," Mikey. He wrote an op-ed about a 40-year-old practice that should be changed.)

Isn't it appropriate to fine-tune ACA going forward, Mikey? Were you perfect the instant you graduated from school, or did you need a little re-education and re-direction as your career launched?

Oh, wait.... I forgot. You ARE perfect and have always been so.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, to be a member of the ruling class, they must feel like lucky bastards, it will be us subservients paying for most of their health insurance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Market Pulse
Aug. 2, 2013, 12:32 a.m. EDT

Congress to get Obamacare exemption: report
By Michael Kitchen
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) --

The White House has approved a deal that will exempt members of Congress and their staff from some of the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, Politico reported late Thursday. Under the law, popularly referred to as Obamacare, lawmakers and their aides were required to source health insurance "created" by the law or offered through one of its exchanges, and without the subsidies they currently enjoy, the members of Congress would have faced thousands of dollars in additional premium payments each year, the report said. However, the Office of Personnel Management now plans to rule that the government can continue to make a contribution to the health-care premiums of the lawmakers and their staff, it said, citing unnamed congressional sources and a White House official.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/congress-to-get-obamacare-exemption-report-2013-08-02?dist=tcountdown
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Turdy wrote:
Oh, to be a member of the ruling class, they must feel like lucky bastards, it will be us subservients paying for most of their health insurance.

It must really gall you to think about paying for those knuckle-dragging, inept, nitwit, dim-bulb buffoons like Boehner, Bachmann, King, Gohmert, Akin, Barton, Young, Stockman, Desjarlais, Broun... and the list goes on and on...

And, before you get your knickers in a twist, Mr. Turdy...

I agree with you 101%.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
Mr. Turdy wrote:

It must really gall you to think about paying for those knuckle-dragging, inept, nitwit, dim-bulb buffoons like Boehner, Bachmann, King, Gohmert, Akin, Barton, Young, Stockman, Desjarlais, Broun... and the list goes on and on...

And, before you get your knickers in a twist, Mr. Turdy...

I agree with you 101%.

Well then you can enjoy wiping my ass, beings that you are obsessed with turds.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Turdy wrote:

Well then you can enjoy wiping my ass, beings that you are obsessed with turds.

Geez. To think that I agree with you, and say so, and yet you still insult.

Oh, well -- what else to expect from the ethically and emotionally challenged?

Anyway, wiping you anywhere would suffice. Laughing

BTW.... I thought you were going to take a page from Mikey's book and "plonk" me.

Mikey does this, and I really appreciate it. He pretends that he can't read my posts and I pretend to care.

Mr. Turdy, you're so easy it's laughable. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 49 of 201

Jump to: