myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui conditions in October-November

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Maui conditions in October-November Reply with quote

I will be on Maui last week of October and first week of November. I have a few questions:
1. What rental place to use?
2. Should I rent a van to keep stuff for two inside?
3. Is Kanaha the only flat water spot?
4. What kind of winds to expect?

We are, I guess, still intermediates, and usually sail on the lake, so waves is not our cup of tea. I am expecting some choppy experience and I wonder what kind of equipment works better on Maui?
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Depends on what equipment you like. Use Naish for Naish equipment, Second Wind for RRD, Hitech for Quatro, Goya obviously for Goya boards and sails.
2. Rent minivan (search for windsurfing vans maui).
3. Kanaha is not flat water compare to lake. Conditions will be from bumpy and some waves to significant waves on reef and behind of reef.
4. Gusty and light side-shore.
I'm 200 lbs. sloppy East Cost sailor, in October-November on Maui I use 89 liter wave board and 6.0-5.2 sails.

You MUST have solid waterstart.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond starik333's observations, Kihei can often be more like a windy lake if the NE trades are cranking. Just be very careful about sailing too far offshore since sideshore winds can act as offshore winds at that location. And it's a very long way to Antarctica.

Kanaha isn't flat but shouldn't be a problem. Even with no wave experience a small day at Kanaha can provide great bump and jump sailing and an easy introduction to wave sailing.

Consider booking an introductory wave lesson from HST or any other reputable instructor. He or she can give you a tour of the sailing area and that will save you a ton of frustration and possibly some broken gear in the alternative.

xander.arch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That time of year often has great waves and good wind on Maui. This is why the AWT (and maybe PWA) event will be held during that time. This will be super cool as you can take a break from sailing Kanaha and check out the comp action at Hookipa.

Kanaha has proper wavesailing on the outside reefs and intermediate level bump and jump on the inside with no shorebreak. The nice thing about Kanaha is you can push yourself into the waves or stay in the flats depending on your skill and level of adventure.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kihei or Kanaha are both good spots for intermediates.

Kihei is side to side off when the wind is more northerly, and launching is easy,it gets kind of bumpy with tight chop once your a ways out. Once in a great while there is a south swell that makes for great wave riding conditions but that does not happen too often, only a few days in my 8 month stay there back in 1990.

Kanaha is easy to sail on the inside as others have stated. Even when there is a high surf advisory, there is little if any shorebreak, so launching is easy. One november day there was a high surf warning with waves of 18-22 feet. Kanaha was easily sailable! Winds are a little less reliable in Oct. to Nov. but the wave action starts to happen.

Lots of great rental equipment around Kanaha several shops, all have great gear.

Winds are lightest in the morning and build as the day progresses. I don't think you can sail before 11:00 am at Kanaha.Lots of guys spear fish with snorkel and fins in the am. They don't appreciate the windsurfers.
Strongest winds are early to late afternoon usually 15-25 with gusts to 30 or a little higher at times. If your looking for lighter winds sail between 11:00 and 2:00. Some days the wind is light, but you won't find a sail for rent bigger than a 6.0

Hope you have a great time!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Tabou & Gaastra, you can rent from Matt Pritchard. He's also great for lessons if he's around.
sl55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies.
As it appears, we'll have to rent some FSW boards for the bumpy conditions and tiny flat sails Wink My main sail is 9.5m and my high wind sail is 7.5m, so it is going to be quite a change. For the light wind days the SecondWind Maui has slalom boards and cambered sails for rent I think.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
my high wind sail is 7.5m, so it is going to be quite a change.

It certainly is! When people say Kanaha is "flat", they mean no big breaking waves, not "flat". You'll be sailing on thigh-to-chest-high chop, basically. You'll become a waterstarting pro immediately, as uphauling a sail in those conditions is like uphauling a momma bear while standing on its half-grown and very unwilling cub.

Enjoy. Very Happy

And take booties and a rash guard, or else the reefs and your harness will abrade your skin.

If you rent a car, leave nothing in or on it when it's out of your sight or reach. If you rent a van, leave nothing in or on it when it's out of your sight but you can probably step a little farther away and breathe a little more easily. Make your possessions harder to steal than those of everybody else nearby and you'll probably have no problems, but I never leave anything of bulk or value in any vehicle there. One credit card, a $20 bill, and my driver's license are all that stay in my rental when I'm sailing. It's just good insurance for gear and peace of mind.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Maui conditions in October-November Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
I will be on Maui last week of October and first week of November. I have a few questions:
1. What rental place to use?
2. Should I rent a van to keep stuff for two inside?
3. Is Kanaha the only flat water spot?
4. What kind of winds to expect?

Second Wind was just bought by Kevin Ozee who used to manage NP Maui. They will both be good choices for gear.
Try Alamo or Maui Vans. Alamo doesn't have a cancellation fee. Costco travel has great car deals.
Kuau, Sprecs, are good if you want the real feeling of the North Shore. However wife might want South Kihei or Wailea for comforts and style.
Winds can be zero to sixty that time of year. You will generally not be on anything larger than a 6 meter sail over there. I'm often on my 4.0.

ps..beware of the outside surf at Kanaha. If they are calling for overhead surf, you can be on a long broad reach happy as a clam, and boom a big set shows up from nowhere. Understand the reef and surf conditions.
motogon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also try new company - Maui Van Rent. Never used them yet, but rates seems very nice.
See you on Kanaha in November.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: