myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My Gorge statistics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merriam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're averaging almost 17mph, you must make all your jibes and not spend much time slogging. Do you know your normal speed range on a reach?
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
You're averaging almost 17mph, you must make all your jibes and not spend much time slogging. Do you know your normal speed range on a reach?

I am not a very fast sailor, my maximum speed on average is around 27 mph and cruising speed is somewhere around 18 mph.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that all we're doing when BAFfing at top speed on "Gorge" boards? I had assumed it was closer to mid to upper 20s in normal river conditions when fully powered. Heck, many sprinters run at 20-25 mph.
merriam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Is that all we're doing when BAFfing at top speed on "Gorge" boards? I had assumed it was closer to mid to upper 20s in normal river conditions when fully powered. Heck, many sprinters run at 20-25 mph.

Funny how perceptions differ. I assumed most recreational sailors were averaging in the low teens. Bruce Peterson maybe averaging in the mid to upper 20s. Thanks to Guy for quantifying the numbers.
Tom
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find my speeds on real windy days to be in the mid 20's for MAX speeds (and I'm passing more than being passed). On lighter days when I'm on 5.2 or 5.7 I find my higher Max speeds of upper 20's and low 30's. These are with an accepted GPS for speed sailing and using software to determine my 10 second interval.

Easier to go faster when its smoother Cool
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that GPS speeds are not speed through the water, they are groundspeeds, or speed over ground (the bottom in case of windsurfing).

GPS works great when there is little or no current. However, if you are traveling in the same direction as the current, your actual speed through the water is less than GPS speed by the current speed. Opposite is true going up current.

If you are traveling across the current, GPS speed will still be greater than actual speed through the water. GPS, as stated above, gives ground speed, which will be the pythagorean sum of speed through the water and current speed when current and direction of travel are perpendicular.

just my .01 cent.
GuyT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my wife Sylvie statistics for The Gorge 2013, from June 28 to July 29.

She sailed 28 days out of 32 (88%), mostly at The Hatch, except for 2 days at The Wall, 2 days at Stevenson and 1 day at Viento. Like a true Hatch Rat, she is willing to sail elsewhere only if necessary. Wink

She sailed 98 hours, an average of 3.37 hours per winsurfing day. This may seam little, but it's real time on the water. Not windsurfing time, where 30 minutes on the water equals 1 hour. Wink

She used the following boards ans sails (% calculated from time on the water):

She weights 130 pounds.

According to some people, she really improved her windsurfing skills this year. She's not yet a great swell rider, but it's getting there. I will probably continue to sponsor her. Wink
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen your wife. You're lucky that she continues to let you sponsor her!
anderson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: My July Stats Reply with quote

Here ya go Guy, a chick log....

vital stats;
weight: 150, including Uggs and skirt; height: 5'10", blonde (of course)

days sailed 26 for 31 (% no idea)
sail size - 3.0 to 4.2
boards - 1 Quattro single fin wave
days dancing - most Weds - Sat
fun - unmeasured but endless and the summer is only half over.

And ya, I too sail better than my man!
Bond1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me that I may have only used one sail size in July, a 3.2. I don't think that's ever happened before. I'm not totally sure though. I may have used a 3.7 on the 2nd or 3rd, but from July 4th on it was all 3.2 for me.

Not a bad month, except for the broken nose and the bouts with tendonitis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: