myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1st and 2nd Amendments under attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love it. The master of the ad hominem attack, who claims that latte sipping liberals just make him mad, now tells us that he is doing it all as a community service. But remember, he also told us:

Quote:
I keep my philanthropic efforts private. The little I do is to benefit others, not to inflate my status in front of others.

Right. Carry on and keep a stiff upper lip.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
I am not sure exactly what happened between 1972 and 2001 with malaria control

Approximately 50 million people died of malaria and tens of millions more suffered. But there is good news.........

"The Environmental Defense Fund, which filed the original lawsuit that led to the nationwide DDT ban signed June 14, 1972, reported that many birds that were nearly wiped out by the use of DDT 25 years ago, such as the osprey, peregrine falcon, and brown pelican, are rebounding.The DDT ban is viewed as the first major success of the modern environmental movement." http://www.edf.org/news/25-years-after-ddt-ban-bald-eagles-osprey-numbers-soar

OK, so there was a little collateral damage..........nothing's perfect. After all, it's just a matter of perspective.....

"Contrary to the predictions of DDT's proponents, the banning of DDT has produced a cleaner, healthier environment for the American people and our wildlife," said Michael Bean, who heads EDF's wildlife program.

I'm guessing old Mike didn't spend a lot of time in Africa during those 25 years.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Gotta love it. The master of the ad hominem attack, who claims that latte sipping liberals just make him mad, now tells us that he is doing it all as a community service. But remember, he also told us:

Quote:
I keep my philanthropic efforts private. The little I do is to benefit others, not to inflate my status in front of others.

Right. Carry on and keep a stiff upper lip.

Maybe he rather not be like the hypotcrites....to be honoured by others.

Matthew 6:2

New International Version (NIV)

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None are so blind as those who will not see. Few are so ineffective as those who refuse to work with people with different perspectives. Gotta love your consistency, if not your insight. It's always going to be someone else's fault, and your always going to be right.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it was too long, I'll repeat the moral:

Quote:
When proposed in that way, with proponents using a team-building approach rather than scorched earth ad-hominem attacks, there was support by environmental groups for using DDT.

I guess that there weren't any folks that knew how to do that, eh?

I would think you might have learned root cause analysis along the way, along with listening skills. Management 1A in a diverse environment.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers said:
Quote:
Techno900,
Is it best to bang on the front or the top of the block wall? I'm just asking advice, it's not a gotcha question.

Best to gang on the front, in time it may just fall over. On the other hand, banging on the top could bring it down to ground level, but non of us have that much time. Keep at it though, Mac will likely get carpel tunnel syndrome at some point because of his extensive and wordy responses.

Dear God, just get to the point!
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the twitter version for you techno. Nothing in the 1972 DDT ban prohibited its use in Africa for malaria control. Anyone with the skills and interest to address the problems with its use could have won approval for its use in Africa, along with support by environmental groups. Someone eventually did. I doubt it was mrgybe. But he blames all environmentalists.

Life is not so simple. You may have discovered that.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and here's the real version. The 1972 ban resulted in all the major US and European aid agencies ceasing to use DDT for malaria control for 34 years. They were then, and continue to be, the primary source of malaria control efforts in Africa. Tens of millions died as a result. The ban was a direct result of a law suit by the Environmental Defense Fund who, 25 years later were unreservedly rejoicing at a few thousand additional eagles. Approximately 5,000 African lives for every eagle. With different players our obdurate poster would be screaming racism. For once, he would have a valid point.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Gybe.

You have personal experience of living and working in Africa, and must have first hand knowledge of the frequent famine conditions, with fly infested, helpless, starving infants dying in their mothers arms.

Why, or what in their culture keeps them bringing new born into almost certain starvation conditions? We in the West live inlands of plenty, and feel hard done by if we can't live a life of conspicuous consumption, so we can't understand the mindset of those who live in REAL poverty.

How can any mother bring a newborn into the world in almost certain death conditions? Is it that they have absolutely nothing in life except an infant, a part of themselves?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
None are so blind as those who will not see. Few are so ineffective as those who refuse to work with people with different perspectives. Gotta love your consistency, if not your insight. It's always going to be someone else's fault, and your always going to be right.

I'm not sure if that comment was directed at me....I guess I could have said he doesn't want to toot his own horn, but I thought I would share the origin of the phrase. Did you somehow find that offensive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 27 of 33

Jump to: