myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
keep your thumb waterproof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerbach

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: keep your thumb waterproof Reply with quote

4 days before our beloved gorge vacation, i manage to cut myself and ended up with a few stiches.
Any suggestion on how to keep a thumb dry while saling ? ( or as dry as possible ) I know, staying out of water would be the smart thing but that ain't happening...
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very tempted to have the doctor glue it shut, if that's medically sound. I've had cranial surgery glued shut with no problems, but my helmet protected the wound from impact.

Mike \m/
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 4 days probably no problem getting it wet, cover it with something so that it won't split open getting hit or rubbed against something. Steri-strips stuck on with tincture of benzoin on the skin can supplement the strength of the stitches and are extremely adherent. dhmark md
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dhmark, steri-strips are the way to go. I used them recently for a big cut on my foot. I did not use the benzoin tincture, but covered them with a big water-proof bandaid (and socks and booties) when windsurfing. I sailed again after 5 days. The cut healed very well, not problem even without stitches.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the thread in this section on Super Hydrophobic coatings! Problem solved?
norcom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut my leg a few weeks ago with a fin while coming onto the beach. Small cut but deep, three stitches. Wave picked up the board and slammed it into my leg, good thing it was the last run of the day. I didn't go into the water and missed a few good sessions for a week. Whatever you put on it, can fall off. During the summer, the water is warmer here and we have multiple advisories of too much bacteria. It would be easy to get a staph infection. But you do what you want. I was thinking of shaving the area around my leg and supergluing a plastic bag over the stitches. Maybe also wrapping in neosporin and whatever else that would cover up the area for a session. Wink How bad do you want it? (Check local water advisories)
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut my forearm (6 stitches) two days before a trip to Bonaire. Each day, I cleaned the surrounding skin with alcohol and then covered the wound with an antibiotic ointment (prescription, but maybe neosporin would suffice) and then two layers of Nexcare brand waterproof bandages and tapes. They have a surgical bandage, similar to a plastic film, that worked for my anatomy, but you might find something that works for your thumb. The Nexcare brand tape stayed on the whole day, with periodic checks for leakage. I guess YMMV, but it worked very well for me.

Brian
www.miwindsurfing.com
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff to use is "Liquid Bandage" This is a waterproof coating that paints on to the skin with a small brush, and dries in about 5 minutes. Use two coats and the film will stay on to your skin for about three days before it starts to peel off. Add some more and the wound will stay dry and clean.

Find it in any drug store, buy the Liquid Bandage brand, the store brands that I have tried do not work as well as the Liquid Bandage.

I find this stuff useful on bendy parts such as the hand or fingers where a bandage never stays put.

Great stuff. Smells like fingernail polish, so it has lots of alcohol in it and it stings a bit as it kills all of the germs.

KMF
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well, you should pick up surgical gloves (get a box of em at Home Depot). They should help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: