myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racing and freestyle competition Kalmus 9/14-9/15
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Racing and freestyle competition Kalmus 9/14-9/15 Reply with quote

It's official now: we will have fun races and a freestyle competition at Kalmus Beach on September 14-15 at Kalmus Beach in Hyannis. It will be modeled after the very successful East Coast Windsurfing Festival in Long Island.

The primary focus of the event is to have fun with windsurfing friends on the water. I'll never forget the first time I raced at the ECWF Long Island in 2011. Rounding a buoy in light wind in a crowd, I was about to fall when I suddenly felt a helping hand in my back that kept me on the board. This really characterizes the spirit of the ECWF, and we hope to re-create it on Cape Cod. If you'd like to read more about past ECWF events, check out the Blogs section on http://www.ecwindfest.org/. The web site is still work in progress, but you can also find pictures and videos from past events.

Races and freestyle heats will be intermingled to allow competitors to compete in both events. If we have enough competitors, we will have an unlimited and a 7.5 m racing class, and a "pro" and "amateur" freestyle division. We hope to have at least as much fun as at the Buzzard's Bay Crossing last May!

Last edited by boardsurfr on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamfedd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gather $100,000 dollars and it'll be a PWA event. Cape Cod in September is almost guaranteed to have as much wind as Pozo did a couple weeks ago. Gud Luck
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration for the East Coast Windsurfing Festival Cape Cod is now open at http://www.ecwindfest.org/register.php.

We also have had great feedback from the first potential industry sponsors - it looks like we will have a brand new sail, high performance fin(s), T-shirts, and more for the raffle! So register now and join the fun!

The registration fee of $20 for one or both events (racing and freestyle) is due when signing in at the event.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we'll get a decent crowd and some high level freestyle competition, with 13 registrations already, including the King and Queen of the East from last year's ECWF. We might just have to crown a King and Queen of the Cape! We also now have a Facebook event page for easy signups.

KingAndQueen.jpg
 Description:
King Alex and Queen Jeanne, ECWF Long Island 2012
 Filesize:  296.69 KB
 Viewed:  19729 Time(s)

KingAndQueen.jpg

paulf.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful you don;t have to pay royalties. king of the cape might still be a registered brand name!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"King of the Cape" was never a registered trademark or service mark in the US. It was, however, a great event, and its death led to the creation of the East Coast Windsurfing Festival in Long Island a few years later. In turn, the fun we had there in the last two years made us want to create a similar event on Cape Cod again. We hope to make this an annual event. With 20 registrations on the first day, and support from 3 new sponsors who will donate a sail, fins, and T shirts for the raffle, things are looking good!

When starting organizing this a couple of month ago, we did contact one of the original organizers of the King of the Cape, who provided helpful tips. We decided to name the event "East Coast Windsurfing Festival" instead of "King of the Cape" because it will be more similar to the ECWF Long Island than to the original King of the Cape. We were quite happy when Mike Burns suggested that we use the name of the festival that he had developed over the last few years, and even happier that we'll see him compete Smile
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kewl, as US775 used to say. i was really just kidding, but you have obviously done your homework.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think of me as Sheldon Cooper when kidding Smile

And most of the work is actually done by the lovely Nina, with help from Dani, Mike, and Phil. They are doing an excellent job, I might add - we have 31 registered so far, and a whole bunch of companies have said they'll sponsor: Inland Sea, Windsurfdeal.com/KA, Vector Fins, Maui Ultra Fins, Ianovated, Makani, and NoLimitz.

In ECWF tradition, instead of prizes for the winners (other than Jerry's excellent trophies), we'll have a raffle for all participants. Looks like we'll have quite interesting giveaways: a sail, a winter wetsuit, fins from at least 3 top manufacturers, T shirts, and more.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for this one! I finally get to race instead of sit at the judges booth Smile If you guys haven't been to the event on Long Island that this event is based off of, all I can say is you are missing out big time. It's VERY laid back, yet run very smooth. the lower the wind, the more fun we have! Fierce racing turns into incredible laughter the entire way around the course. Seriously, I was able to get out of the judges booth and do one race last year on my SUP and laughed the entire way from the start, to the finish and everywhere in between. Sure you'll have some incredible sailors putting on a show, but there there will be even more there just to have fun.

If it does blow, the level of sailing will be something to see. And for me getting to mingle with that many windsurfers in one spot is one of the best parts.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tentative schedule for the ECWF Cape Cod is now available at http://www.ecwindfest.org/cc/schedule_cc.html.

We have also posted a draft of the freestyle rules, with a list of tricks for the different categories and their scores, at http://www.ecwindfest.org/cc/freestyle_cc.html. If you plan to do a trick that's not on the list, please let us know! Many of the planing and pro-level tricks have links to videos, in case anyone wants to brush up on recognizing moves Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: