myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help figuring out Sherman Island Access wind conditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfskimd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Help figuring out Sherman Island Access wind conditions Reply with quote

I know this has been touched upon somewhat here lately, but I need guidance before I make the long drive to Sherman Island.
Namely, right now it is 23 mph at marker 10 (upwind of the access, where I would sail); but only 14mph at Marker 14, (at the sign downwind of where I would sail).
Obviously the sign and powerlines, will not have any wind. But, the question is "what is the wind at the access???. Before the kiters destroyed it; Marker 12 would answer this question; but it is gone, and probably for some time.
Does anybody have first hand information; that we can usually use the Marker 10 information as our reference point for the access. Especially when Marker 14 is reading that it is not sailable. There has been at least 7 days this month, where I did not make the trip to Sherman when Marker 10 was sailable; but Marker 14 was not. Anybody who was out at the access during this time and could provide actual on scene information about this would be most helpful for all of us wondering what to do during these frequent situations. Thanks
goof

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Marker 12 Reply with quote

A barge destroyed it, not a kiter or any other kind of vampire.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been made quite clear to us that Marker 12 isn't coming back, unless the kiters decide they want it. And using the numbers from Marker 10 is a crapshoot at best. May I suggest that we use the Onsite Report feature? It is possible to use it for Marker 12 but it would be a PITA. How about we use the Onsite Report for Marker 10 and, under # of people out, put 100+ to identify Access/County Park? A ridiculous work-around, of course, but if enough sailors buy in we could help each other out. Any other ideas?
shahn1508

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Onsite Report Reply with quote

A little stale but here is how it was this morning:

Marker 14 - Sucked
Marker 12 - A little better than 14
Marker 10 - Sweet Jesus, sailing nectar.

Steve
mch13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it certainly was worth the drive. From 3 - 6, there was lots of wind to be had at the Access, especially when I look what was happening around the rest of the Bay Area.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think M10 is fairly accurate for the access. I've not been on a day when M10 was going off and the access wasn't windy.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the onsite report feature was updated to the way the rest of the world updates their status but my request fell on deaf ears. Their report interface is horribly outdated, clumsy to use, and worthless from a mobile device.

I follow RVWA on Facebook and sometimes we get a good onsite report from them or other windsurfing friends.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfskimd,
It seems that you have a pretty good drive to get to SI, and I understand why you want the best info possible. This has been a lousy summer here so far and sometimes the wind makes it up river, sometimes not. I have seen Marker 10 readings in the low 20's and people are slogging at the Access. (Maybe they're masochists on 4.2's?) I always look at Travis AFB on the iwindsurf map. If it is windy and westerly, it's a good indication, but certainly no guarantee. If it is more northerly, or just plain light, I would be concerned. I might try Rigatoni's RVWA Facebook idea. The more people who do it, the better it should work.

Last edited by Arrgh on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will often see NW winds at 10 when it is SW at 14. (right now for instance)
When this happens relying on 10 is less predictable, though not necessarily bad.
When there is W instead of NW at 10 then the Access is Usually more reliable.

In general if 10 is working then at least the County Park is working, even though the Access may be lighter.
Right at the powerline (not Powerlines) at the Access there is sometimes a reduced wind pattern compared to 10 or in front of the Park. When this happens just launch 50 yards farther W and sail up a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: