myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tomales Bay area sailing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Tomales Bay area sailing Reply with quote

I am going to be up in the Tomales Bay area for a week with the GF late July/early Aug. What should I expect? I know TB can rip but any wave-sailing in that area?
sailtildark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a great season this year - too bad ya missed it! We are all fogged in at the coast now = no wind. You may get lucky but this is the dominant pattern right now. Dillon Beach is the place to go for wave sailing and is almost always doable if Tomales is blowing - its a few miles upwind. The Bodega Harbor is good for a light wind session (e.g. 6.0 or bigger), but you will need a weed fin. You will probably need a weed fin for all the spots up here - the eel grass is everywhere. Once July hits its Larkspur, PI, or Berkeley for me.
sailtildark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double double
victor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like sailtildark says ya' missed it. pretty much a spring sailing spot, although, like the peninsula, the nw stayed around for quite a while this year. that whole area gets a lot of fog (and weeds) this time of year.

check tides at bodega before going even if it's windy. you need at least 4' and flooding.

beautiful place, tho.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, SUP? That's about it for now. Late in the season you can score a few NW'erlies but in general, Tomales, Bodega, Dillon all peter out by mid June. Even if it blows there are weeds to contend with. Tomales is less affected by weeds that Bodega, where you really have to sail with a weed fin.

Steve
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I gathered I missed it and SUP might be the best option or head to the delta.... I am sure the GF will be happy , more wine-tasting , less windsurfing.

Thanks!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This current S flow, no chance...
But once it breaks, or the NW creeps in for a few days, PaloMarin is down the line wave sailing, and Stinson is similar to Wads/Dillon side on jumping and backside wave sailing.
Side off DTL wave sailing at Limantour, still needs NW winds over 20. Low tides only there.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
This current S flow, no chance...
But once it breaks, or the NW creeps in for a few days, PaloMarin is down the line wave sailing, and Stinson is similar to Wads/Dillon side on jumping and backside wave sailing.
Side off DTL wave sailing at Limantour, still needs NW winds over 20. Low tides only there.

Why low tide only at Limantour? I assume you are talking about Tubamancha?

Steve
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of time to sail Limantour, as you're running sideways to the wave, you're not wave sailing.
Low tide Limantour breaks right at the parking lots, and with side off winds, you go bottom turn off the lip combos right tru the shorepound.
The upwind to Tuba takes well over 45 minutes, in reality, no matter what the dreamers say.
And yes, I do know KennyHartz, who discovered the Tuba thing around '85 and I checked it out with him his 3rd day. Waste of time, gusty offshore winds, the wave that went by you kills some of your wind, and you're speed sailing in front of the wave.
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Waste of time to sail Limantour...

So then sailing Berkeley would be a better investment of one's time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: