myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1st and 2nd Amendments under attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
reinerehlers wrote:
Thank you for making assumptions on my behalf, but the truth is that in Canada I don't need to walk around like some paranoid nut case. Heck, 90% of the time I have my front door unlocked. I call THAT freedom.

I think in Canada and Australia we may just be a little wiser and a whole lot less insane. I think the "odds schmodds" or statistics would support that quite nicely.

I made no assumptions. Rather, I read your own words: "What has more weight, God's word or man's? "thou shalt not kill", or "the right to bear arms?" Heck, you guys, at least your UK counterparts, even treat soccer hooligans as public nuisances, rather than the mass murderers they often are.

isobars wrote:
We get it that you would rather let a home invader disembowel your children, or a mugger beat your wife to a pulp, or some Bozo shoot up a city street, than kill him first. That's your choice ... if the victims are alright with that. But don't try to tell the rest of us that we should follow your example; that's OUR choice.

Ya sorry man, but you were making an assumption if you think that comment on my behalf warrants me wanting my family harmed. Pointless debate when that is what you are resolved to assuming. Oh and though I know you like to ignore "statistical" proof, but all those things are not a huge concern for me because of gun control. Ignore the facts all you want and keep your head in the sand. The fact is I feel safe living here, and I don't feel the need to walk around with a gun, nor would I want to. You can't deny those facts but I'm sure you will anyway. I'm glad I live in a free country....free of fear and paranoid gun toting nut cases. Don't worry our whole country makes jokes about your paranoia and the ridiculous gun rights. Keep on arguing for your stupid guns. It really seems to be working so well now isn't it?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but your whole post is one fabrication after another. The only exception is your opinion about your safety. I hope you're right about that.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but your whole post is one fabrication after another.

And if anybody knows about fabrication, Mikey, it's you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We get it that you would rather let a home invader disembowel your children, or a mugger beat your wife to a pulp, or some Bozo shoot up a city street, than kill him first."

Talking about fabrications, one wonders what isobars calls the above nonsense he just had to share here. There is no question that isobars lives in a twisted hateful world. And, what's particularly ironic about it, is that it occupies his mind 24/7. Sadly, there's no peace of mind in his gun fantasies. It's no small wonder that he has trouble sleeping at night.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be kinda like "Pulp Fick-Shun"?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but your whole post is one fabrication after another. The only exception is your opinion about your safety. I hope you're right about that.

I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but your post makes no sense at all. I love the way you are willing to ignore statistical proof or systems that are in place and working well. If your ignorance and fear mongering are what allow you to play with your toys and feel some false sense of security then I guess that's what you are resolved to go with. Pretty sick and sad to be honest.

Were they interviewing you in this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Would that be kinda like "Pulp Fick-Shun"?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,
I think this video speaks particularly to you between 1:25 - 1:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK_u7yWTd3U
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, guy, but as a professional scientist and engineer and, by necessity, an amateur medical student, facts and statistics are vital to many of my decisions. When those don't suffice, I add opinions and fall back on educated guesses, then WAGS, and ultimately emotion.

Got a better pecking order?

Trusting in "systems in place" -- aka living in the nanny state -- often leads to and/or starts with naive, stifling, dependent victimhood, as in "Woe is me. My life is in the hands of my government, so if it fails me, I'm doomed." That's about the time self-reliant people take care of themselves, whether it's putting themselves through school, taking charge of their careers, questioning their health care providers, and, if they so choose, protecting themselves physically.

You imply Australia and Canada are much safer countries than the U.S., yet statistics -- facts -- say an Aussie's or Canuck's likelihood of being physically assaulted is twice that of a Yank. see
http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime . If you want to bet on those odds, that's your business. Betting your family's welfare on them, however, leads to a higher likelihood -- up towards a 1 in 10 chance each year -- of someday being a losing bet.

Your "Thou shalt not kill" strongly implies an unwillingness to kill regardless of the situation, as many people explicitly and blindly interpret that phrase. I don't have that problem where my family is concerned, and whether I respond to a physical assault with a phone call to 911, a shoulder into a sternum, the bumper of my car, or a legal gun is my choice to make, within some limits.
pointster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Sorry, guy, but as a professional scientist and engineer and, by necessity, an amateur medical student, facts and statistics are vital to many of my decisions.

Snip

You imply Australia and Canada are much safer countries than the U.S., yet statistics -- facts -- say an Aussie's or Canuck's likelihood of being physically assaulted is twice that of a Yank. see
http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime . If

The statistics you quote do not say an Aussies likelihood of being physically assaulted is twice that of a Yank. See this note on the definition of the assaut statistic on that very website:

"DEFINITION: People victimized by assault (as a % of the total population). Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevelence."

My own experience in Australia leads me to believe that there is less violent crime there. Of course, your experience there may have been different from mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 11 of 33

Jump to: