myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is BHO getting paranoid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps FDR is to blame. We all got SS#s because of him. Now we're being tracked every time we buy something... Laughing
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being president of the United States would be enough to make any human being paranoid.
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
For the first time in my life, I actually agree with Jimmy Carter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former President and Commander-In-Chief: America Is No Longer a Democracy

Washington’s Blog
July 18, 2013

One of Germany’s biggest newspapers – Spiegel – reports:

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter … in the wake of the NSA spying scandal criticized the American political system. “America has no functioning democracy,” Carter said Tuesday at a meeting of the “Atlantic Bridge” in Atlanta.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think he might be relishing in the fact that he just might not go down in history as being the worst president in history.

I don't think Carter is referring to Obama's leadership with his comments. The patriot act and the permanent war on terrorism which were brought to us by a Republican Congress and President, and a complicit, lame Democratic party that failed to stand by its principles in their rush to arms, fearing they might appear weak.

The military-security complex that has developed over the last 10 years is one area where the Republican majority never sees government as too big or spendy.

Of course, none of the Obama critics here seem to have followed his speech of May 26 - calling for an end to the "boundless war on terror" which really has brought upon this war onto our privacy.

I firmly believe that, in order to develop and prosper, US American society needs to come back to a peace-time mode. That includes the useless, combative manner in which congress now does business, it includes the way we treat one another and how readily we accept the use of force even in the civilian realm.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, you sound like you could have been Carter's press secretary, that's a classic response, 'what he really meant to say was..............'.
Carney is really pretty good at that as well, if not being busy deflecting a question off to another source for an answer, he uses that most often, 'I'll have to refer you to......... for that'.

Pretty used to it.

It's as if his second term is still w/in the grips of the administration before, that has worn out so long ago.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
nw30 wrote:
For the first time in my life, I actually agree with Jimmy Carter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Former President and Commander-In-Chief: America Is No Longer a Democracy

Washington’s Blog
July 18, 2013

One of Germany’s biggest newspapers – Spiegel – reports:

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter … in the wake of the NSA spying scandal criticized the American political system. “America has no functioning democracy,” Carter said Tuesday at a meeting of the “Atlantic Bridge” in Atlanta.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think he might be relishing in the fact that he just might not go down in history as being the worst president in history.

I don't think Carter is referring to Obama's leadership with his comments. The patriot act and the permanent war on terrorism which were brought to us by a Republican Congress and President, and a complicit, lame Democratic party that failed to stand by its principles in their rush to arms, fearing they might appear weak.

The military-security complex that has developed over the last 10 years is one area where the Republican majority never sees government as too big or spendy.

Of course, none of the Obama critics here seem to have followed his speech of May 26 - calling for an end to the "boundless war on terror" which really has brought upon this war onto our privacy.

I firmly believe that, in order to develop and prosper, US American society needs to come back to a peace-time mode. That includes the useless, combative manner in which congress now does business, it includes the way we treat one another and how readily we accept the use of force even in the civilian realm.

You're kidding us right? He's prosecuted an even more brutal war than Bush over the last 5 years. He could have easily eliminated the Patriot act, or refused to administer it.

In order for America to prosper, we need to encourage small business and stop coddling the oligarchs and crony capitalists that Obama loves so much.
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

You're kidding us right? He's prosecuted an even more brutal war than Bush over the last 5 years. He could have easily eliminated the Patriot act, or refused to administer it.

No he did not. The number of civilian casualties in Afghanistan due to coalition action is down - peaking in 2007. Yes, I agree with you about concerns of legality and legitimacy of drone strikes, but in terms of quantifieable "brutality" (if there is such a thing) I don't believe your statement to be correct.

And no, he could not simply eliminate the patriot act or refuse to enforce it. It is the job of the legislature, not the executive, to act upon the will of the people and remove or alter laws accordingly.

While the majority of the American public may agree that the patriot act and subsequent governmental intrusion have gone too far and should be reigned in - even if it means tho will sacrifice some of their security - do you think our current legislative body is willing to do anything about it?

And, if Obama unilaterally decides to "weaken" our defenses and something happens, how quick do you think the faux libertarians will turn back into hawks and cry for his head?

Quote:

In order for America to prosper, we need to encourage small business and stop coddling the oligarchs and crony capitalists that Obama loves so much.

We've been over this. Again you blame Obama for the fact that congress is owned and paid for by corporate interests. Nothing new here.

However, I meant the word "prosper" in more than an economic context. I think we live in an increasingly belligerent society without enough sense of civic responsibility and unity. It is a tragedy.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can refuse to implement Obama-care for corporations, even though that is against the law. It is up to his discretion as to how he implements the Patriot Act.

He is not a puppet.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Bard, President Obama is a really smart guy. He elected to temporarily delay the implementation of ACA requirements for businesses because it made good sense. He didn't change the law, but simply chose to postpone enforcing it. As I'm sure you know, the Executive Branch is the enforcement arm of the law. Do you think that Congress is stupid enough to force the Obama Administration to enact the ACA requirements for businesses in 2014? No, like you, they will instead have hissy fit about it and accuse the president of coddling corporate interests.

Regarding the Patriot Act, President Obama really can't refuse to support the law on a whim, and he knows that. Yet, as he so aptly pointed out earlier, Congress needs to reconsider the Patriot Act and modify it based on agreements reached through legislative action. If he was to refuse to enforce the Patriot Act as it now stands, we all know that the Republicans, to include folks like you, would turn and attack him, particularly if a terrorist act happened because of a lack of enforcement.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the right gave the (coincidentally white) Bush and Cheney a pass when they spied, without authority on Americans. When brought up short by the Supreme Court, Congress gave Bush what he asked for. Now that Obama is using that authority, the right is upset. But we are, for sure, in a post-racial world of harmony.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Meanwhile, the right gave the (coincidentally white) Bush and Cheney a pass when they spied, without authority on Americans. When brought up short by the Supreme Court, Congress gave Bush what he asked for. Now that Obama is using that authority, the right is upset. But we are, for sure, in a post-racial world of harmony.

mac, are you a racist? No? Then why did you just play the race card?
You, my friend, are part of the racial divide, also known as being part of the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: