myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newer starboard quad in the gorge?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfboy1111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Newer starboard quad in the gorge? Reply with quote

Just bought a 2012 starboard quad, plan to use in the gorge, mostly eatern section like at roosi. Any feedback from others with a SB quad how it will do? I know it won't be as fast or great for bump and jump blasting like my kode
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you want to do with it. Like every other design and rider, quads have pros and cons, each quad is different, and riders have individual preferences and riding styles. I suggest you read the many previous quad/Gorge discussions here, consider quads in light of those discussions and your preferences, then decide whether to buy a quad.

OOPS! Smile
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2011/12 Quatro Levi quad 75L for a year before I sold it. I found it slow to plane under my 190# in general. However, more than half my days are spent at the Hatchery. At Rowena it was usually a blast with the broader reach and (believe it or not) smoother water, especially Doug's West area. I think if I consistently sailed Rufus or Roosevelt I would still have it. I found it very loose, but very easy to regain control as well. You will probably have a harder time going upwind, but powered up swell riding is awesome. As a local who has had a free ride for nearly twenty years told me "The problem with the Gorge is that the waves are wind-driven, not ocean driven. That is why quads just don't work as well here." That statement rang true for me, especially in the Western Gorge with the short reach and limited band of swell.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
You will probably have a harder time going upwind

The last quad I rode, a North Pacific board built locally, points like no other B&J/wave/FS/FSW/freeride/whatever board I've ever ridden.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any multi fin, I have ridden , ANY , points better upwind that a comparable single

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windsurfboy1111

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Was stoked to try today roosi. But not enough wind. I will post my thoughts once I try it incase others have the same question.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious, what size Quad , and then KODE ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windsurfboy1111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad is 87 ltr, kode is a 95ltr
rdies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2011 Starboard quad (74 l) and I use the twin fin setup in the Gorge and quad at the coast. I find the twin fin setup doesn't cavitate as much as the quad setup in the river and is also a bit faster. Moreso early spring during high river flows and in strong winds/overpowered sail. My theory is you start to loose a bit of stability with 4 fins in the water while bearing off the wind, overpowered, and fast current (especially at Maryhill/Wall on a 3.7 day). Lighter days and pointing more upwind I think the quad setup is better. At the coast I always ride the quad setup as it turns much sharper when needed, releases the fins easier on the top turn but then snaps the board back into the wave quickly when needed. I love the quad setup on the coast and it is much better for pointing upwind.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdies wrote:
I find the twin fin setup doesn't cavitate as much as the quad setup in the river

Yeah ... what's with that? I had a helluva time keeping all them fins under me when driving especially hard upwind. Too much back foot? Nature of the beast? Sail raked a bit too far aft for that setup?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: