myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Going smaller
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Going smaller Reply with quote

I currently sail a Starboard Carve 101 for all wind ranges and am looking to get a smaller board for 20+ winds. Not really sure what to be looking for but I want something to progress to more bump and jump/wave sailing. Any thoughts on what size or recommended board? I am a fairly experienced sailor and can waterstart no problem so having a board that I cannot uphaul on is not an issue.

Im looking to buy used to keep the $$ low and am in RI so if you have anything you want to sell that is fairly new and in good condition, let me know!

Edit: I am about 160lbs

Last edited by edoremus337 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Going smaller Reply with quote

I go from a 95 ltr board to an 80 ltr board in the Gorge, and from a 115
ltr board to an 80 ltr board in Utah.

I can only infer from this that you next board should be........ 80 ltrs. ;*)

-Craig

edoremus337 wrote:
I currently sail a Starboard Carve 101 for all wind ranges and am looking to get a smaller board for 20+ winds. Not really sure what to be looking for but I want something to progress to more bump and jump/wave sailing. Any thoughts on what size or recommended board? I am a fairly experienced sailor and can waterstart no problem so have a board that you cannot uphaul on is not an issue.

Im looking to buy used to keep the $$ low and am in RI so if you have anything you want to sell that is fairly new and in good condition, let me know!

Edit: I am about 160lbs
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ... 80ish sounds good. Check out the used/consignment boards at Windance in the Gorge. They ship nationwide for <$100, and grade their used gear very honestly.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85 L would be about right:

Will be in NH, Maine on the 30th or 31st delivery possible to that area.

2004 Angulo AmiGu 80L, tri fin conversion, can sail single or 3 fin. Lots of fun, wave///freestyle. NOT FSW but better

$350.00 USD

PM if interested

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 156 lbs, and my two boards are a 94 RRD FSW and a 80 RRD FSW. The 80 litre is perfect for me from 21 to 28 here in the gorge, in really rough terrain and stronger conditions I use a 74 Starboard Kode.

KMF
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the call for a 80 liter board. At your weight it will handle almost anything, but still give you the needed float to slog in if the wind lightens up. The only real question is what brand and model would be best.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A board with a volume slightly above your weight in kg would be right, so 80 l is fine. I have a ca. 2005 JP SuperX 82 for sale, $250. There's a movie of me sailing the board in 30-40+ mph winds at http://youtu.be/ntlSSTo-BZk, and a description of the day at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2011/03/speedsurfing-in-hyannis.html

You could try the board in Kalmus this weekend. Looks like we'll get plenty of wind Friday and Saturday. Let me know beforehand, though, the board is not usually in the van since it's a bit small for my 195 lb.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent. Will this board be okay for bump and jump? Seems to be a bit more oriented for speed and flat water, my only concern.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 104 Syncro I used for everything and then realized I needed to go lower for the high wind days. My buddy sold me the 89ltr F2. Great board and a lot of fun. I've picked up an 86 ltr wave board and don't need it anymore.

I live in North Kingstown Rhode Island. It's yours for 50 bucks if you want to meet me someplace in the area.

DC

F2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.17 KB
 Viewed:  15778 Time(s)

F2.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edoremus337 wrote:
Seems to be a bit more oriented for speed and flat water, my only concern.

That's JP's emphasis across the board, according to one of their largest dealers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: