myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick parking and parking tickets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Candlestick parking and parking tickets Reply with quote

Got two tickets this year so watch out. Last one was on 7/6/13. According to one of the officers it was based on someone complaining. There were only four cars that days so I don't know why anyone would complain. Had to move my car a couple of other times in order to avoid tickets.

As you may know the section right in front of the windsurf launch is signed as no stopping but it is was rarely enforced except for game days and special events. The solution would seem to be changing the no parking to regulated parking like the rest of the area. Its seems extra important because of the growing popularity of Candlestick and the likelihood that of more usage from Crissy being used for America's Cup.

I've emailed my San Francisco district supervisor in district 11 and the supervisor in district 10 in which Candlestick is located.

"Candlestick park is now closed every Thursday and Friday as well as closing early every day. An increasing number of people are using the park and waterfront each day. I am part of a large group of windsurfers that use that area for windsurfing as that is the only windsurfing spot in this part of San Francisco. The nearest other spot is Crissy Field which is far from me.

The area in front of the park and the windsurfing area is signed restricted parking tow away. In the past the restriction has not been enforced except for game days and events. Lately I have been randomly getting tickets on days when there are no events. It seems to me that the prohibited parking area may have been instituted so as not to have street parking compete with the State Park. Parking areas away from the park are not restricted except for football game days. Seeing as more people are using the area (to the point where it can be hard to park), the state park is closing it's parking lot early and also two days a week I am requesting that the parking prohibition be lifted as soon as possible. Especially in view of the 49ers not being at the stadium any longer it seems this would be the right thing to do."

It would be helpful if more people would contact the supervisors to change the parking restriction. They can be found at: http://www.sfbos.org/index.aspx?page=1

If anyone has any better ideas let us know.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Usually they would put up posters for the restricted days. Reply with quote

Usually they would put up posters for the restricted days.
There was a day this year when they had a marathon ending
at the Stadium but had no signs it was a restricted day.
It would be nice if this could be clarified.
I believe the sign says no parking on restricted days and has
a schedule on it.
Maybe there are some politics going on here now that the
developers have this place in there sites.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Candlestick yesterday (July 9), and there was an SFPD car across the street after we were done sailing. Later, the car was on our side of the street ticketing cars, so we left. Not sure what's going on here.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
chand2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Random Ticketing at the 'Stick Reply with quote

A number of years ago we had a rogue cop come by and ticket people for a week or two at the Stick, and then it stopped.
Can somebody talk to the policeman that comes by and ask why this is occurring all of a sudden after 20-25 years? There is no reason for this.
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: What exactly does it say on those signs? Reply with quote

What exactly does it say on those signs?
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was over there Saturday 7/6 for Wyatt's clinic. There were custom paper signs indicating no parking along the entirety of the rail fence, even in area more to the west where I believe the permanent signs only restrict parking on "game days". However, even those paper signs were misleading as one had "restricted on July 4 & 5" (not the 6th). I parked by it and got yelled at by the cop directing traffic into the Candlestick Park lot for the ongoing 5K race that day. I then relocated into the park parking lot which wasn't that full at that time at least. Then about 30 cops showed up as they began staging for the SFO plane crash incident process - and informed us what all the smoke over there was about.
From careful reading of the permanent metal signs, I'd still believe parking along fence is fine, but again slightly to the west of the launch/wooden bridge area. Of course, each patrol person may choose to interpret his/her own way.
David
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What exactly does it say on those signs? Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
What exactly does it say on those signs?

The problem is not the temporary signs. The problem are the permanent (metal) signs saying "not parking at any time, tow away". Although those were probably meant to be just for the game-days, they don't specify dates and so all it takes is a police car to pass by and the policeman to notice the signs to start ticketing.

So, yes maybe (just maybe) calling a supervisor to ask to change the signs might do something, especially if we could do it by involving the larger community that uses the park and outside parking. Easier solution might be to unbolt the metal signs, once those are gone they cannot ticket ... Twisted Evil

(disclaimer for the NSA: I do not advocate the removal of any sign, even if it would appear that I just suggested it)
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be quicker for an SF citizen to call the local precinct management and try to make a friendly request to whomever supervises the beat cops for that area.
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
Might be quicker for an SF citizen to call the local precinct management and try to make a friendly request to whomever supervises the beat cops for that area.

bayview precinct
415 - 671 - 2300

would be good to know if there is a community liason we could work with too.
watermonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: What exactly does it say on those signs? Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Easier solution might be to unbolt the metal signs, once those are gone they cannot ticket ... Twisted Evil

(disclaimer for the NSA: I do not advocate the removal of any sign, even if it would appear that I just suggested it)

And what if, theoretically speaking, the posts themselves were missing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: