myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need a launch site near Niantic CT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Need a launch site near Niantic CT Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to make Connecticut the 49th state I've windsurfed in on Sunday July 7th. We are staying the night in Niantic CT.

Google Maps shows a Main St/ Rope Ferry Rd that crosses the Niantic River between Niantic and Waterford CT. On the Waterford side there is a large parking lot with what appears to be a large boat ramp north of 2nd St / Ave B near Captain John's Sport Fishing & the Dock Restaurants.

Is the Niantic River sailable from that boat ramp at low tide?

I have a Kona One with a 46 cm fin and a 40 cm fin. (In my earlier thread about Newport RI I thought I'd left the 40 cm fin at home, but I found it tonight.)

Thanks,

Del Carpenter
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! The weather changed in my favor to moderate winds. So I can use McCook Point Park in East Lyme CT...assuming they allow windsurfers.
johngullotti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a boat ramp at Jordan Cove just before Pleasant Beach in Waterford just to the east of you. Take Rte 156 to Gardiners Wood Road to Jordan Cove Road to Shore Road and if you're looking at the Google Map, there's a "P" for the boat ramp parking. We usually sail further east at the Barn Island boat ramp in Stonington but the Jordan Cove boat ramp gets the best of what's available in eastern Long Island sound. Welcome to Connecticut and the Millstone Point Nuclear Power Plant.

John
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I'll have to check out the Barn Island boat launch some time. I checked it out with Google Maps and it looks like a great spot. Has anyone ever tried to sail upwind to Sandy Point and then do a downwinder back? Looks like it would be easy and lots of fun!
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice session at McCook Point Park scoring state #49 in my quest. Drove to the far eastern parking area atop the hill. After walking the stuff down to the eastern beach, rigging & being about ready to get in the water a life guard came to tell me launching wasn't allowed on that beach. The acceptable launch area is on the western beach next to the large parking lot. But I had discussed that with the office person at Hole in the Wall beach who sold me the $20 non-resident permit and told me I was OK if I launched outside the swimming area. Since I was all ready to go the lifeguard let me launch. Not wanting to push the issue when I came back in I landed at the right beach. Perhaps the office person & I didn't understand which beach area the other was talking about.

As far as I know now, the acceptable launch area is near the rocks, on the NE edge of the parking lot. I used a GPS address of 35 Atlantic St, East Lyme, CT to get to that parking lot.

Wish I had time to sail all of the good places in RI & CT.

My plan for 7-8-13 is to sail at Fort Hancock at the end of the Sandy Hook area in NJ and thereby windsurf in my 50th state.
johngullotti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del
That's a terrific effort. I hope you've made a blog or put out a list of where you've sailed. Good luck in New Jersey.
justall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:

My plan for 7-8-13 is to sail at Fort Hancock at the end of the Sandy Hook area in NJ and thereby windsurf in my 50th state.

Did you hit your 50th yesterday? That is quite the accomplishment! Where did you windsurf in Virgina? New York? I agree with jg, that it would be neat to see your full list.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on 7-8-13 I scored my 50th state windsurfing in the waters of NJ west of Sandy Hook peninsula after launching at a tiny beach near two different Nike missles about 200 yards south of a row of yellow brick houses that were part of Fort Hancock. I sailed out far enough to see the Verranzo Narrows Bridge and the skylines of Manhattan & Brooklyn. Just standing on the east side would give that view, but I didn't want to lug the board across that wide eastern beach. My wife took the attached picture.

Both NY & VA were scored as twofers: For NY I sailed across Lake Champlain near the Samuel Champlain Bridge south of Port Henry to get both NY & VT in the same 1/4 mile session on 6-27-13. For VA I rented a windsurfer from Belle Haven Marina south of the DC beltway and sailed across the Potomac River to get VA & MD in the same session (about 1999 or 2000). I didn't cover the District of Columbia until sailing a few years later from the Washington Sailing Club south of Reagan Airport on equipment borrowed from a Baltimore-Washington area windsurfer.

I think I can reconstruct a list of where and when I sailed in each state since most of them were covered in the last 10 years. Eventually our Christmas letters started listing which states I'd sailed in that year. I'm going to look at them to try to figure out when I decided my goal was to sail in all 50.

P1120020.JPG
 Description:
sailing west of Sandy Hook peninsula, NJ.
 Filesize:  1.67 MB
 Viewed:  13027 Time(s)

P1120020.JPG

justall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool accomplishment. Yeah, I think the forums, here, would be interested in your complete list when you get it together.

I applaud your efficiency in knocking off two states at a time. I've done the same VA / MD run, as I used to sail Belle Haven for their rental equipment (before I bought my own) in 99-00, too. Who knows, maybe we crossed wakes a some point, or sailed the same board.

Now you just need to sail each continent ... or each Carribbean island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: