myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
5 SIMPLE STEPS TO JIBING BY WYATT Clinic Stik Sat 7/6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: 5 SIMPLE STEPS TO JIBING BY WYATT Clinic Stik Sat 7/6 Reply with quote

5 Simple tips to Jibing: The first freestyle trick......

Most instructors focus on what you should do. I like to focus on what most poor jibers don’t do.

#1 Front Foot Pressure: You should initiate your jibe by putting all the pressure you can muster into your front foot strap and not just onto the ball of your front food, you want to literally be trying to rip the front foot strap out of the board. Front foot pressure should be the constant throughout your jibe while back foot pressure should be used as a guide to tighten up the radius of the jibe at the end if need be.

#2 Crouch down and really bend at the knees, it is super easy to get lazy with this, if you stand up straight you will kill the front foot pressure. Also keep the sail sheeted in the whole time (no need to do crazy laydown oversheeting) but keep the sail sheeted in it will get lighter and less powerful the further you get down wind.

#3 Make sure it is in your mental checklist to slide your front hand all the way forward on the boom (towards the mast) just before you get ready to flip the sail. This will ensure the sail is able to flip cleanly, and not back towards the tail and the water.

#4 SWITCH YOUR FEET BEFORE FLIPPING THE SAIL!!! (The lighter the wind the later the flip). Take your front foot out of the strap and aim for stepping that heal on the big toe of your back foot (miss slightly). Make sure to cross the centerline of the board as you bring your old front foot back to the big toe of your back foot. Crossing the centerline with your old front foot causes you to weight the inside (turning) rail and keep the board turning in the right direction. Make sure your new front foot goes all the way up to the mast base to help distribute your weight.

#5 Actively Flip the Sail: This is the most frequently forgotten step. To ensure the sail flips quickly and efficiently when you want it to flip. And to make sure it lands in front of you after the flip (not behind you and down, that is bad), YOU MUST!: Actively flip the sail by sweeping your front hand from one shoulder in the direction of your other shoulder across your chest. (Practice this with a sail on the beach.)
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be throwing a Jibe, Trick Jibe and Carve 360 clinic at Candlestick...or a nearby windy location depending on conditions.

We will do a bunch of land work to get down the basics and then move out on the water, where I will anchor myself so you can rip those laydowns all around me or crash in the process and get some helpful pointers.

$75 includes after sailing beverages.

We will meet at the stick at 11:00 and rip until we can't hold on anymore...or the wind backs off.

If you have never tried a 1 handed carve 360, you are missing out. They require far less commitment than a 2 handed carve 360 and can be nailed long before you are 100% on your jibes.

And if you separate the Duck from the Jibe in a Duck Jibe you will save countless wipeouts.

Email me if you are interested in attending.

wyattmiller525@gmail.com

510-375-1934
jim-e

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh i need some help with the carve 360 been working on it for the last 2 seasons. A friend recently told me to take my front foot out of the strap whats your thoughts on that.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep your friend is right. While it is possible to do a carve 360 in both straps the whole time if you are super powered up and do everything perfect.

But the key to learning carve 360's and consistency is to cheat cheat early.

As soon as you hit straight down (everyone does this too late) you want to take your front foot out of the strap (back foot should already be out) and put it in front of the mast base. This will help keep you on a plane and keep you using the entire downwind rail. Also as the sail starts to backwind and stand back up you will be able to "backwind tack" out of it, or finish it off just like a tack.

Have you been trying it with both feet in the strap??

Also have you tried a 1-hander?
They are actually easier since the sail backwinds and rises back up further back towards the tail making it easier to handle and less likely to push you off the board.
segler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this class! Even if you think your jibes are kind of okay. I've taken the previous one and my jibes have gotten so much better...
jim-e

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i was definitely trying them in both straps i guess that was my first mistake

Hard to believe the 1-handed lay down or carve 360 is easier but i guess I will have to come to your class and get on track. Great info thanks.
mch13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Segler, take the class!

I did last year, even though I had been jibing for years. He was really helpful with breaking down Duck Jibes. Wyatt is an excellent instructor.

The whole thing is an excellent value and THEN he throws in lunch and brews at the end.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha thanks guys. The brews at the end is the real hit. Ha.
Should be good tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: