myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
... opening the rig (what you refer to as sweeping the front hand from in front of one shoulder to the other.).

You and I interpret WYATT'S (not Winfreak's) comment entirely differently. Wyatt is referring to throwing the mast hand across our face from shoulder to shoulder -- the second THROW in my THROW, THROW, GRAB, and GO -- not sheeting out (if that's what you mean by" opening the sail"). He's spinning the sail to the opposite tack, not sheeting out to power through the jibe.

1. The hand is moved across twice, so it can refer to opening the sail and or continuing the throw. You'd have a point, except:
2. Let's be clear: about a dozen years ago you typed up Cort Larned's basic jibe steps, added some of your quite imitable prose, and called it Mike Fick's jibing tips. Which are Cort's. Which have been improved on considerably in the ensuing twenty years (I'm sure Cort's version today would be much better.)
3. As was asked for before: How about some video to establish that you can jibe? Strap on a pair and go out in front of a camera, and git er done. Show the world some video of yourself, so people in search of windsurfing tips can say "yeah that's a guy who knows how to windsurf". It would straighten me out too, of course. All that redline high speed slashing, with people asking you about your workout after the sesh. That would be awesome to see.

winfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
winfreak:

it's not what Wyatt said.

I cut and pasted directly from iW SW forum statement by Wyatt.
He must have recently restated the 5 tips to reflect modern thinking and equipment. Could you post the updated tips? Wyatt? Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So come video me and follow me around, PP, if you refuse to believe the people who have posted here and/or emailed that I -- paraphrased in some cases -- "sail as he says he does", "He's among the top quarter of sailors at Roosevelt", "He's a good sailor", etc. and who have thanked me for helping them learn to jibe (and get in the straps). You're the one who craves videos of me; put your effort and time where your mouth is.

Funny Wyatt didn't mention moving the hand across twice, or opening the sail. I guess he forgot.

Cort called my simultaneous unweighted foot switch the "Fick Shuffle"; I don't think he'd take any credit for it. The no-hands Throw, Throw, Grab, and Go concept came from Monte, not Cort, and is a much quicker and simpler extrapolation of the sail flips in Cort's (and Wyatt' and Pritchard's and Cribbs' and Dasher's) basic planing jibe instructional videos).

As for progress ... the jibe I favor is much quicker than any jibing instructional video I've seen, takes MUCH less effort than Panebianco's WSMag tutorial, and works much better as boards get smaller and the water gets rougher. If you have the skills and nerve, you might try it some time.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

winfreak wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
winfreak:

He must have recently restated the 5 tips to reflect modern thinking and equipment. Could you post the updated tips? Wyatt? Thanks!

No, Winfreak; your post was a direct quote from Wyatt's recent post.

I'll bet you a fin that Wyatt doesn't stoop to read threads hijacked by the F Iso crowd.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
So come video me and follow me around, PP, if you refuse to believe the people who have posted here and/or emailed that I -- paraphrased in some cases
etc etc.

I don't need to. I've seen video of you sailing. As mentioned many posts ago. And when the guy who posted it took it down (made it private) I pleaded with him...as is well recorded in that thread...to repost it. Because it was an eye opener to see you on the water. Frankly I had thought you were a better windsurfer than the video revealed you to be.

You would benefit from some lessons.

Oh yeah, I've read the people who have posted here. Others can too...it's the same thread as the video. http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23986

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

winfreak wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
winfreak:

People update their posts...it happens. In any event, if you can get on the water with Wyatt, do. Tips are great, but for any of us having a practiced eye watch us windsurf, to spot what we're doing, what we're not doing, what we're doing too much of and what we're unaware of what we're doing, is usually the fastest way to improve.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
it's the same thread as the video. http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23986

Then you saw my response to wooot.

God, man ... get a life.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Isobar controversy is now beyond claim and counter claim. Argument no longer 'cuts it.'

Because of this impasse the issue can now only be satisfactorily resolved by hard evidence.

A continuous video recording of 15 minutes or so of successive tight slashing high speed gybes in the claimed conditions would seem to be the only way to settle the issue, once and for all.

All fair minded windsurfers would be able to draw the correct conclusion from such clear evidence. All else is just words.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing_process.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.84 KB
 Viewed:  8023 Time(s)

writing_process.gif

Last edited by noshuzbluz on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: