myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendover wrote:
( 101. you also whine and complain just to piss people off? Is this what you're here for? ) you agreed with it (its' a bonus!!!!)

I also try to write for people with at least an average sense of humor. Pete's is over the top; did he get your share?

Bendover wrote:
"Besides, far worse has been said to me, ranging from Wardog's accusation that I attacked his wife (I don't think I've even BEEN in CA since the internet was invented) to mac's and slinky's death wishes. "

We want to see the proof of the "far worse" (than convicted child molestor) that has been said about you. Really ?! worse than "convicted child molestor" ?!

OK. Proof:
slinky wrote:
Isobars, I had no idea you have cancer. I woul'nt wish it on my worst enemy. I'm sorry for the' drop dead' comment. i was wrong.
Paul

Reference:
The archives of Wardog's comments disappeared with the demise of rec.windsurfing, and

More reference:
mac's comment was years ago buried in a thread of hundreds of pages and discussed multiple times. The closest reference to it I can easily find is this from 2011, where, defending a third party from yet another false personal attack from mac,
I wrote:
MAC, of all people, is whining about a threat, real or imagined, after saying I should get sick and die? This, from the ex-president of the USWA? Don't sweat it!

And if "far worse" includes sheer quantity of false ad hominem, they've got me outnumbered many thousand to zero.

Bendover wrote:
Whats' "self-obvious"is you are bad person and you should be BANNED.

Ah, a censorship advocate, who also can't handle someone who's candid, honest, calls it as he sees it, and loathes political correctness. (You don't think DudeBroMan's drug-pushing posts should be banned, and you call ME a bad person?)
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he actually means well (though I concede that's being extremely charitable), but he has zero credibility anymore.

On the issue of jibing, I highly recommend the recent post from Wyatt Miller on the SW page. Here's an actual pro giving perhaps the best one-stop distillation I've seen. Remember those five tips and you can't go too far wrong.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
You ... throw in a POLITICAL post in a nonpolitical message group ...

But it's OK for others to drag political forum stuff here, as they do incessantly despite my and others' criticism of it?

johnl wrote:
linking me with Obamaland???

John, you very recently moved here straight from Obamaland, and your very frequent demands that I obey your commands reflect it. The glove fits.
Example:
you wrote:
I have thrown down a jibe video. PP has thrown down an jibe video, and you have said you have no video's of you..... Put up, or STFU

then you proceed to quote a very small portion of my own explanations of why my GoPro sits in a box somewhere (and you didn't mention my far simpler and less intrusive clew mount I described in detail).

Besides ... "Throw down"? I graduated third grade over 60 years ago.

johnl wrote:
I'm done until the video is out.

Promises, promises.

Jeez, guys ... will you NEVER get tired of hijacking hundreds of threads just for your petty Isobars vendetta? We wanna talk about windsurfing.
winfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

[/quote]On the issue of jibing, I highly recommend the recent post from Wyatt Miller on the SW page. Here's an actual pro giving perhaps the best one-stop distillation I've seen. Remember those five tips and you can't go too far wrong.[/quote]

"#1 Front Foot Pressure: You should initiate your jibe by putting all the pressure you can muster into your front foot strap and onto the ball of your front foot. Front foot pressure should be the constant throughout your jibe while back foot pressure should be used to dictate the radius of your jibe.

#2 Look under the boom: at the water downwind of the nose of our board. This will keep you crouched down with your knees and arms bent. If you look over the boom you will kill STEP #1.

#3 Make sure it is in your mental checklist to slide your front hand all the way forward on the boom (towards the mast) just before you get ready to flip the sail. This will ensure the sail is able to flip cleanly.

#4 Actively Flip the Sail: This is the most frequently forgotten step. To ensure the sail flips quickly and efficiently when you want it to flip. And to ensure it lands in front of you after the flip (not behind you, that is bad),YOU MUST!: Actively flip the sail by sweeping your front hand from one shoulder in the direction of your other shoulder across your chest. (Practice this with a sail on the beach.)

#5 Click your heels together, when switching your feet, making sure to cross the centerline of the board as you bring your old front foot back. Crossing the center line with your old front foot cause you to weight the inside (turning) rail and keep the board turning in the right direction. Make sure your new front foot goes all the way up to the mast base to help distribute your weight."
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

winfreak wrote:

#4 Actively Flip the Sail: This is the most frequently forgotten step. To ensure the sail flips quickly and efficiently when you want it to flip. And to ensure it lands in front of you after the flip (not behind you, that is bad),YOU MUST!: Actively flip the sail by sweeping your front hand from one shoulder in the direction of your other shoulder across your chest.

Absolutely! Git 'Er Done! Wyatt compresses my tutorial's whole page on the sail flip into one light but vital paragraph. Pay attention.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wyatt's tips Reply with quote

winfreak:

On front foot pressure, modern boards require substantial pressure on the front foot, but not quite "all the pressure you can muster". The exaggeration is useful for breaking people from the back foot carve which was more effective 20+ years ago on many of the boards of the day.

Looking under the boom can be terrible advice, if you are bent forward at the waist with your head looking down. Also, it's not what Wyatt said. You will loose speed and the carve. I've heard it said (Dasher, ABK etc) that from the hanging position before initiating the carve (at which time your eyes should be below boom level) that as you bend at the knees and ankles, bringing your hips forward with your chest and chin up, that you don't bring your eyes above boom level. This is a great way to ensure you've got big time knee bend. As Peter Hart says, "bend your knees as much as you think you should, then lower your butt a foot more."

Sliding the hand on the boom will often work best if done in conjunction with opening the rig (what you refer to as sweeping the front hand from in front of one shoulder to the other.)

Having your feet touch in the middle of footwork may work in some conditions on some gear, but in anything like challenging conditions the last thing you want to do is interrupt smooth foot movement. Wyatt actually says "miss slightly". Having the heels brush lightly when you're first learning to jibe in forgiving conditions is probably not a bad idea, but not something to pursue. Also, the new front foot can step forward so that your front toe is even with the mast base, but I wouldn't say go to the mast base (I'm nitpicking on language there.)

I'm a Wyatt fan, btw. He helped me with the push tack a few years ago (planing hoss tack).

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
... opening the rig (what you refer to as sweeping the front hand from in front of one shoulder to the other.).

You and I interpret WYATT'S (not Winfreak's) comment entirely differently. Wyatt is referring to throwing the mast hand across our face from shoulder to shoulder -- the second THROW in my THROW, THROW, GRAB, and GO -- not sheeting out (if that's what you mean by" opening the sail"). He's spinning the sail to the opposite tack, not sheeting out to power through the jibe.

Beaglebuddy your head must be reeling by now. You would learn SO much from a good pro instructor lesson! It would be worth flying somewhere to get one if necessary.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has isobars been able to sweep everything ugly he has done here under the rug? I guess in his dreams.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tabbed on this thread , cause it has 13 pages, curious what all the discussion is about

about every 3 rd post is isojerk

I see now without reading it much

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Utoo ... some of us are trying to discuss windsurfing here. We'd appreciate it if you'd go hijack some other thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: