myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
swchandler



Joined: 08 Nov 1993
Posts: 5893

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Talk about hijacking a thread! JEEEZ, but this place would be SO much more useful, fun, and broadly interesting if you guys would stick to the subjects rather than making so many threads about me."



Who has the greatest number of posts on this thread, and why would that person want to post so much?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1365

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Techno mast track feed back P.P. Still experimenting.

It's odd how some boards just seem to have a perfect sail match, when both board and rig perform better than they ought. My light flicky Tushingham Thunderbird111 no cam sail is great with this board, and fine for a spot of throwabout freestyle. ( Embarassed Embarassed ) You know, body drags, sitting down contortions, and slam dunk 360 attempts.

Incidentally, I have an older Techno 11 160 for very light early planning with 8.0 sails, and while it has its place, I'm finding the 133 to be great fun.

Nice one Mr. Bic. ( And yes, they do gybe quite nicely!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnl



Joined: 05 Jun 1994
Posts: 1182
Location: Hood River OR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:


2. Which is it, guys? Sone of you say tricks dont require practice/dues/work (whatever you choose to call it), but you (and Brandt) are saying it takes months to learn some tricks. How about yall get together, figure it out, and get back to us? Meantime, Im going WSing (if we get any more wind this summer).


6. Good God, guys, where do you come up with this $#!+? No one has yet shown us one post out of my last 20,0000 which denigrate WSers or their WSing choices or skills. And whats not to understand? Some people enjoy some stuff, others enjoy other stuff, in every aspect of our lives. Thank God we do, else wed all be elbow to elbow at the best spot for whatever it is we all preferred, all be eating the same food, and all be drinking the same beer (except me, because beer guess what does not interest me).



2. Okay I'll say it again. It is NOT practice, it is windsurfing. When you were learning to jibe (you know the first of the "tens of thousands" was that practice or windsurfing??? It was learning a PART of windsurfing. Freestyle is no different. You are out sailing. Doing what you like. It just happens it might be learning how to Vulcan which Andy does usually advertise it takes a 1000 attempts to get it (I've yet to do attempt one, because there are MANY kinds of freestyle and not all are aerial).. But what you see as "practice" the rest of us just see as windsurfing doing what WE WANT to do.... Like I said 2x before, you just don't get it and probably never will.....

6. This cracks me up. For some reason you think if you put some asinine number in your posts it gives your credibility. In fact it makes you sound like you are making it up and takes away credibility. Don't believe me? Just ask the people online here. You know your PEERS.... Like my favorite "tens of thousands of jibes". Well Mikey, here is PROOF. You can't even get the number of your posts right. At last count it was 11,689 (although I would not be surprised if it is now higher). It is RIGHT under your name. Yet for some reason you think it is 200,000 (please note, when you have 5 zeros, the comma goes behind the 3rd digit not 20,0000). Can you get anything right????

Yet you doubt my ability to see things accurately as a retired LEO. PLEASE you are just like the people who run stop signs every day yet swear they stopped. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John (and Wardog ... and every other guy and gal who thinks s/he knows more about my life than I do):

Someone told me last century, long before I became "isobars", that I had over 10,000 posts. Do the arithmetic.

And, no, I don't "get it" ... "it" being putting that much effort into a trick, or climbing a mountain at 4 miles of altitude, or drinking wine, or relaxing, or watching horror movies, or Woody Allen, or hard rock, etc. To your personal list of things you don't get, you might add the concept that we're all different individuals. The other cofounder (besides me) of the Utah Windsurfing Association called ANY windsurfing other than competing in an organized race "practice", because it developed skills useful in races. BAFing, buoyball, waterstarting, jibing, freestyle, exploring the lake, all of it ... was "practice" to him because all that mattered to him was competing.

I'm just the opposite, and you just don't get it. Individual sports, for me, are about the adrenaline rush of living at my own personal control limits. That's frowned upon on the highway, so I confine it to other, and lately softer, venues. I have never experienced an adrenaline rush from manhandling sails at slow or modest speeds. Guilty as charged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeconicPuffin



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 1221

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I don't "get it" ... "it" being putting that much effort into a trick


Then kindly don't butt in when people who like challenges, who like trying new things, who want to increase their skills are posting about windsurfing skills that you feel are too much work for you to learn. By definition you don't know what you're talking about anyway. (the "WHERE'S YOUR PROOF" response link:
https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23843)


isobars wrote:
I have never experienced an adrenaline rush from manhandling sails at slow or modest speeds.
Probably nobody has. Those of us working on freestyle find ourselves doing that as part of the learning curve, but we get out on the other side (hopefully) maneuvering the rig lightly and with finesse, which is one of the beauties of practicing nonplaning freestyle. But certainly you know what it is to manhandle sails at slow and modest speeds...I will be forever grateful for having seen the video of you sailing. Trying to match that footage with your description of your windsurfing was one of the great disconnects. But it explained much. (the "WHERE'S YOUR PROOF" response link:
https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23986)

Really truly: consider doing the ABK clinic. Think about it. You might
A: Learn some valuable and/or fun things, or
B: Get lots of fodder for you to post about how the clinics teach one way but don't understand your adrenalin or personal control issues or how it fails to address what to do when sailing at the extreme speeds in monster conditions that you would have us believe you favor.

Think of all the typing you'd get to do. It's win win. And I can't imagine you wouldn't have a great time.

_________________
Michael
http://www.peconicpuffin.com


Last edited by PeconicPuffin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
you think if you put some asinine number in your posts it gives your credibility. In fact it makes you sound like you are making it up and takes away credibility. Don't believe me? Just ask the people online here. You know your PEERS.... Like my favorite "tens of thousands of jibes". Well Mikey, here is PROOF. You can't even get the number of your posts right. At last count it was 11,689 (although I would not be surprised if it is now higher). It is RIGHT under your name. Yet for some reason you think it is 200,000 (please note, when you have 5 zeros, the comma goes behind the 3rd digit not 20,0000). Can you get anything right????


You're getting desperate, John, and it looks silly on you. You know damned well that was a typo (I fixed it; thanks), because a) I've mentioned the number many times when people like you divert threads from WSing to my post count or some such irrelevant nonsense and b) the comma location should have been a clue if you weren't so damned obsessed with finding something wrong with my facts and opinions.

I apologize if I posted a vague "tens of thousands of jibes" somewhere. The actual estimate, based on standard accepted principles of quantitative estimation, would be 20 years of jibing X 80 days per year X 4 hours per day X 20 jibes per hour X 60% completion rate (all deliberately conservative estimates) = 76,800. I rounded that way down to "tens of thousands" after calculating it so my post was no longer a debatable estimate but an indisputable fact.

Similarly, I estimated the number of crashes I took dirt biking to exceed 30,000 ... conservatively. I posted 5k-10k, to which Wardog took grave offense and claimed, as usual, to know more about my life, career, medical history, etc. than I do.

Good luck wid dat.

Furthermore, I presume the average reader knows that my jibe tutorial's reference to failing "10,392" jibe attempts is tongue in cheek, under the assumption that no one literally counts such things (never mind one acquaintance who probably might). If I tried to explain every such assumption and nuance, I'd have time for only one or two posts a year, and only Evelyn Wood would have time to read them.

What you see ARE the short versions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnl



Joined: 05 Jun 1994
Posts: 1182
Location: Hood River OR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please calling me desperate??? You want PROOF again? Go back one page where you correct somebody's spelling for having one too many "s" in a word. And actually I THOUGHT you put 20,000 posts (when a typo caused you to put 20,0000 posts. I was pointing out the 20,000 which is just a little shy of 2 times your actual posts when I saw the typo. But I guess you only like it when YOU correct people. I think a saying of "people who live in glass houses should not throw stones" comes to mind.....

But PP is right. If you don't understand why people do things then kindly butt out of those conversations. You do NOT have to reply to every single message you see. Try sticking to the ones you have KNOWLEDGE of and not just OPNIONS of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Then kindly don't butt in when people who like challenges, who like trying new things, who want to increase their skills are posting about windsurfing skills that you feel are too much work for you to learn. By definition you don't know what you're talking about anyway. (the "WHERE'S YOUR PROOF" response link:
https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23843)


isobars wrote:
you know what it is to manhandle sails at slow and modest speeds...I will be forever grateful for having seen the video of you sailing. Trying to match that footage with your description of your windsurfing was one of the great disconnects. But it explained much. (the "WHERE'S YOUR PROOF" response link:
https://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23986)


Enough with the endless repetition of accusations without facts to back them up. Show us the money ... the video you claim to have seen, any denigration of any WSing style or practicioner thereof I've ever posted, any "PROOF" (the thread above is just more empty accusations), or just sit there with egg on your face.

Again (sigh!), you, not I, brought up freestyle, long after the opening gambit had played its course. I responded to your and Dennis's tangents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnl



Joined: 05 Jun 1994
Posts: 1182
Location: Hood River OR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think I missed the point of the 20k posts. I had forgotten that you had a prior name with 10k posts. Not exactly something that is remotely important to me or even known by most here. But that would add up to your claimed number I guess.

However, seriously 20,000 posts. When people who type a lot here maybe have 1,000??? And most are probably under 500. You really should seek help. Like maybe TA "Typists anonymous", or maybe OA "Opinions Anonymous", or perhaps IKIAA "I Know It All Anonymous". Seriously all joking aside, this probably borders on absurdity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14321

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Oh please calling me desperate??? You want PROOF again? Go back one page where you correct somebody's spelling for having one too many "s" in a word.

the 20,000 which is just a little shy of 2 times your actual posts ..."people who live in glass houses should not throw stones" comes to mind.....

If you don't understand why people do things then kindly butt out of those conversations. You do NOT have to reply to every single message you see. Try sticking to the ones you have KNOWLEDGE of and not just OPNIONS of.

Surely, John, you're the only one here who thought I was correcting his spelling. I leave that up to people who depend on ad hominem when their facts and logic fail. Everyone else knew instantly that I was correcting his presumption of my intent, that I was changing his "diss", meaning "disrespect", to "dislike", of things I have tried and not enjoyed.

So others can express opinions but I can't? GFY.

I have no knowledge of what I like and dislike? That's just stupid.

Again (sigh, again!), I post in a small minority of threads (I've forgotten the actual count, posted several times based on hundreds of threads). If you don't like the fact that I enjoy writing, then don't read it, or at least don't distort it and falsely attack the messenger.

About the 20,000 posts being almost twice my post count ... dude ... read the thread; that was resolved in my favor just two posts ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group