myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Teaching my kids to windsurf question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Teaching my kids to windsurf question Reply with quote

Trying to teach my 8 and 11 yo sons to windsurf using the WindSup 11'8" (and maybe JP x-cite 145). I have the Ezzy kids rig with 2.0 and 2.5m sails. They can uphaul and sail on a reach but inevitably get blown downwind even with the centerboard down. The stock fin is 44cm. I'm wondering if a smaller fin would allow them to turn the board upwind more easily using back foot pressure. I have the mast base full aft. Any suggestions.

As an aside I sailed with my 8 yo holding the boom in front of me yesterday. Fun stuff.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the board some 2.0/2.5 kids rigs are just too small to get the COE behind the CLR. If that is not the issue, then your kids have just not yet figured out the feel of the sail angle needed to go up wind assuming there is enough wind to power the 2.0/2.5 upwind. They have to get the rig behind the CLR. A smaller fin is a must for kids with small rigs so they can turn the board.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a very reasonable reply
Further question for Coach, IF the 2.0 //2.5 is too small for either board .. and could be from your post I gather ?The JP without center board is going to be harder obviously to sail, but still a wide platform

to start kids would it make sense to do some basic instruction on a long board with center board, then step down to a smaller board, that 'would' actually move with the 2.0/2.5 sails ?

I will be starting this in a month w/10YO.

My options are the longboard, a Formula and a 118L Bic PRESTO. Sails are the Ezzys and Micro Freak 3.2 , don't think I will want larger than that but I have my own sail stuff.
If the Formula a Starboard F152, a shorter fin will be needed. The Presto I can go sooo small.

anxious for any thoughts on this Question

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks coach, will get a small fin then. I also have an old longboard with an a-box for which I have a small surf fin, maybe I'll give that a try.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centerboard on the 11'8" makes it such a versatile board. agreed with coach, keep as small a fin as you can for the 11'8" it will SUP great in the waves with a something about 10 inches or so. a 12.5 inch one for side off waves, and a 15 inch/38 cm for side on. cheers.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kona One, somewhat similar to the WindSup. We also have the 2.0 and 2.5 Ezzy and I teach my kids with it.

Yes, you need a small fin, I use a 25 cm. Put the sail completely at the back and make sure the centerboard is fully down. They should be able to tack the board.

If I recall correctly, our Gun 3.2 m2 sail can be tacked with the 46 cm stock fin, but not the Ezzy 2.5.

When they start, it's nice to tie a long rope to the board to prevent them going too much downind, especially when they need a break, or struggle with the uphauling. Tie it to the mast foot, this way you can help them if required without hindering to much with the board direction.

Today, I sailed for the first time this year with my oldest girl and we sailed maybe 4 or 5 km. Very rewarding!

Have fun!
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion on the rope, will get a small fin. Jingebritson, unless we go to Lake Superior there will be nothing like side-off / side-on wave anything - no dry suits for the kids. Seriously wish there was an ocean nearby - if I get them windsurfing I can make a case for family windsurf trip to Maui. Thanks for the suggestions.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to think about a week in Bonaire instead of Maui first. The shallow water and generally easier conditions make it pretty easy for kids to get good fast. They'd also see plenty of local kids windsurfing, which can be pretty motivating. And they may see Caesar, Kiri, Tonky, Taty, and/or other PWA freestylers in action and come to the conclusion that windsurfing is really cool.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder has the correct idea on the leash. I use a rope that will sink so it doesn’t get tangled up when they turn or impede other sailors. Keep it fun and don’t stress if they can’t go up wind right away. If you have a shallow area like the play pen at Sherman Island you can wade right along with them as Jason Voss does. That allows you to help them trim the sail and get the sail up with minimal effort. If you don’t have a short fin, cut an old one.

U2U2
No to the formula board, they are going to need a centerboard. A kid that is small enough to require a 2.0/2.5 rig is not going to be able to move a formula board in light winds and the sail will be heavy and pull them over in stronger winds. Board is too wide with too much drag. Kids don’t need wide boards. A 60 liter sinker is a barge to them. They need a centerboard and a mast track far enough back to get the COE of a 2.0 behind the CLR and not so much width that the board creates lots of drag. Graduate them to larger sails before smaller boards. Keep the sails kid’s rigs, not small adult rigs. The adult rigs will be too heavy and the boom cut out too high. They make light kids rigs into the 4.0’s.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

only have so many options , but will give things a try, also only a few weeks in August.

so will make due with what I have .

Cheers

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: