myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for dead onshore please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice here - this kind of sailing is really dodge-and-pinch, taking advantage of opportunities to get upwind and out, Keeping your speed up at all times is key for that kind of mobility.

I would only add that onshore conditions require much, much more power and patience to get out.

If there is considerable shore break a multi-fin board can be helpful, since you can throw it onto the back of a wave and jump on as the board gets sucked back out in the backwash towards the next wave; and if you time it right, you can make it past the next cruncher. A long single fin tends to get stuck a lot in this situation.

10 foot windswell isn't really as powerful or destructive as a 10 foot ground swell hitting a reef, but much more frustrating. The dangerous part is that onshore conditions usually have a very short wave period. That means, a lot of water is moving around; you need to not lose your gear since you have only 5 - 6 seconds max to sprint after it before it takes off with the the next truckload of whitewater. Short wave period also means rip currents - they can be helpful to get out through the break or simply dangerous for obvious reasons.

The actual riding part is tricky, too. You don't really stay on a wave very long - just a couple of turns and that's it. I find that oversheeting in the bottom turn is key, since in the trough you move much faster than the apparent wind. The trick is then to bring the sail around, sheet out and go up the wave switch-foot and clew first, for the cutback. Sailing clew-first kind of holds down the board which makes the top turn a little sticky. Sometimes it's better to jibe the sail and just sail in switch stance for that turn. I haven't figured it out myself, obviously. Anyway - it's great practice and makes down the line sailing seem really easy. Have fun.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, okay this thread is about 2 weeks old, and I'd have to say, considering all the things that you have to give up, or compensate for, for an onshore place, I say go some place else. Been there, tried that, more than several times.
Go someplace with either side on, or side off, or just straight side shore wind. It makes a world of differance as well as making WS'ing fun, as opposed to a constant challange.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only contention florian, is the multi fin thing. i need power with onshore conditions. multi's lack in the lifting power i need to deal with larger sails and following currents. if one sizes bigger with multi's the top end suffers, not to mention turning. yes, one may scrape with a larger single, but one gets used to the clues from the break, right?

nw30, sometimes there is no other place. geography, or time can limit one's options.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
my only contention florian, is the multi fin thing. i need power with onshore conditions. multi's lack in the lifting power i need to deal with larger sails and following currents. if one sizes bigger with multi's the top end suffers, not to mention turning. yes, one may scrape with a larger single, but one gets used to the clues from the break, right?

nw30, sometimes there is no other place. geography, or time can limit one's options.

As always, it depends. I have tried some highly rockered Teboul custom twins that could not take any pressure on the back foot without breaking out, and that would make a grown man cry in conditions like these.

Tris and quads can, on the other hand, be sized a little bigger than equivalent singles without giving up their advantage in maneuverability and top end. Also, the shorter fins allow for a slightly straighter rocker that holds pressure well. I am continually amazed at how early my DTL Simmer quad gets going, but it does require an adjustment to technique.

A single with a 30cm or longer fin will tend to rail up when fully powered, requiring narrower straps and perhaps the use of double back foot straps, which really don't work well for any sort of frontside turn.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 cm free ride fin on my X-Wave 111 in 4.7 onshore nasty, no railing up. meanwhile lots of others with smaller boards and fins (multi esp) get pummeled. seen it time and again. another plus for the single in far from perfect conditions: more instantaneous planing.

forcing frontsides, backside off the lip, so easy with sail and fin power. also, a rail that's over 8 feet helps lots too.

when i see others on fashion forward stuff from maui or pozo get hammered while the old school guys are whooping it up, i gotta ask, Where's The Fun in those blingy boards? sure, side off, reef or point breaks i'd like something a bit blingier too, but reality keeps hitting me in the face. i've got a business to run and far more puritanical work ethics getting in my way every day than time allows wasting any opp's trying to apply maui or pozo gear in my florida atlantic coast surf.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about this kind of stuff here. This is an old picture and those are side-on conditions, but you get the idea.

ed83812e59b6ff66166182c7.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.88 KB
 Viewed:  7101 Time(s)

ed83812e59b6ff66166182c7.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are 2' wide fetch easy waves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: