myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Waveboard Owners Forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sollner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windnc,
Your guess sounds right to me. You might order an 18-cm Stubby when you get your asymmetricals for the full K4 experience. It's only 30 GBP. I have not found a US distributor of K4, but I've had good luck with Boylos in the UK. Cheers.
Gerry
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://davenportsurfsail.com/html/equipment.html

Is supposed to be a dealer, not called or email, but the web site does NOT show K4s.

I use 4 boards in the UK, they subtract the VAT 17% approx, and ship to USA at close to the UK pounds price on the site. They have been excellent with service: BOB or Stu.

http://4boards.co.uk/Windsurf/Fins/K4_Asymmetric_Slot_Box_2%C2%BA_Toe-In

I measured a PW , first year tri and the toe in was 1.31 degrees.

W NC I would guess the 22/ end maybe as small as 20. But go larger on the K4s 12cm, and yes the ASY with 2 toe.

I have only used K4s as a pair or full set of 4, never the center , I suppose I should try one, to get something other than an opinion. My theory is stiff on the pivot point.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a da curve 74 and a pocket 80. Both are 2012s. Really like the dc 74. I'm running the dc as a quad with k4 14cm rears and tabou stock fronts to save a little cash. I've thought about trying different tri fins in the pocket, but have a single 20cm black project epic wave which made the board more lively than the stock tri fins. The 80 pocket feels like the volume is under quoted.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 85L PW felt like 85L

a earlier DC 79l , small. Some of the boards I have ridden a DC 85L quad felt smaller than its quoted size, by that I mean on the water they performed like a smaller board while retaining the 85L quoted size.

going back a few years,06/ 07/08 the volumes were off according to the users on the Tabou Forum, on some models

sollner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments -- thanks.

I've recently had a chance to sail my 85L PW (2013) with 3.7 and 4.7 Ezzy SE sails. The wind was a solid 25-30 mph when I rigged the 3.7, so I put in a 17cm K4 center fin (8cm assy K4 thrusters), and remarkably it was plenty of fin for the conditions. Then the wind dropped and I tried the same setup with a 4.7, but to my surprise the fin was way too small. I spent a lot of time going sideways. So, back to the MFC 21.5 K1, which was plenty, as usual. I'll try to find something between these two extremes for 4.5-5.2 sails. Perhaps the 18cm K4 and Black Project fins on order will do the trick.

Today I was back on the 21.5cm fin and a 6.3 sail, which was fine and still quite slashy. I have not sailed this board in real waves yet, but that gap should be filled toward the end of July when I head for Pt. San Carlos. More then, plus any updates as the other fins arrive.

As for feel vs. quoted volume, I think the quoted volume is about right, but being wider (59cm) than I'm used to in 85L (JP Wave 255, 54cm wide), the PW slogs much better. Also the volume distribution is further forward than I'm used to (though not as extreme as the Quatro thruster that I tried), which makes life easier in a lot of ways. (Slogging the PW requires the front foot near or, in really light wind, slightly ahead of the mast track. On the Quatro I had to step about 10" further forward to slog along waiting for wind or wave. The scamper back when either appeared required a lot of fast-twitch muscle, with which I'm not overly endowed.)

I continue to love this Tabou PW!
sollner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xander.arch,
How much do you weigh and where do you sail? I'm about 165 lb, and can only use my 74L board in solid wind with no holes, something we seldom see on the East Coast, especially in waves.
Cheer, Gerry
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm your weight exactly. The da curve isn't a super early planer for its size, but it gets goin ok. I use pretty much 4.7 on it all the time. I like surf and slog and will do this with the 4.7 down to about 12-14 knots. The board is just a great turner and its helped me alot with my wavesailing. I sail the
Cali Coast most and some sf bay. The da curve is in no way a bump and jump board like some of the quads can be. Its really full on for the waves. This is why I got the 80 pocket. I sail the pocket 10% in the waves and 100% in the bay. When I use the pocket in the waves its only for when the waves are really small. I way prefer the da curve in the waves.
Windnc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Tabou Wave Owners Forum Reply with quote

Have any of you measured the built in slot box toe in on the 2013 Pocket Waves yet using the formula provided on the K4 website? (A-B)/2 = X then sin(x) = degrees of toe in? Or is there zero toe in of the slot boxes?

Just wondering before I go measure my PW 93.

Thanks

Windnc

P.S. Sollner, I responded to your PM. Check your messages.
sollner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured the toe-in on my 2013 85L PW and found zero. U2U2U2 mentioned a positive number above on an older one. I wonder if they changed intentionally.

Windnc: Thanks for the newsy PM. More later. Gotta get to the Cape before the crowd clogs the bridge access.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going from memory the toe was 2.5mm to the centerline. I used a 1 foot measure stick, in the field, at home I use a digital caliper, having a 130mm slot box, is what I recall the toe came out to 1.096.

I would not rule out that I mis measured nor could I explain why the current models don't have any, if anything I would guess tha tthey had more, with symmetrical fin as much as 1.5 + to 1.75

Weather the PW has any toe or not it should still really benefit from the K4 LS fins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: