myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom clamp markings on masts... different heights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers simply provide a visual reference for identifying boom height each time we rig. Example: The knotted string tied to my downhaul handle tells me where the boom should be ... at the 3, or the 6, or the 8, for example ... when rigging. Then when I turn away to pick up and mount the boom, I know to set it at the 3, the 6, or the 8, etc., rather than at the now-invisible wet-finger mark that dried while I turned away. It's like marking a 2X4 with a pencil before sawing.

Marking the sail does no good, because mounting the boom before dowhhauling, while the sail is fairly slack, is MUCH simpler than with a tight sail.

They could just as easily used A B C D E F, etc, instead of numbers.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While final check should be done with a tape measure, a quick guide would be boom location in the sail opening, projecting that you need another say...6" of downhaul.
I use the bow and arrow method when a tape is not handy. Inside of elbow to stretch other arm finger tip, 52".
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of with isobars on this. If you use a particular sail and find the boom height that you like, you can note the height marker on the mast and remember it, or mark it down somewhere to reference in the future. If you also use another sail on the same mast, you can note the mast position that you like best for that sail.

For myself, I don't follow any printed information on either the masts or sails. I simply remember the distance down from either the top or the bottom of the sail opening. That might seem like a lot to remember, but it's really not that tough. My wave sails like one general position down from the top of the opening, and my larger freerace sails like another general position up from the bottom of the opening. Except for one sail, all my sails were designed by the same designer, so sail openings are very predictably positioned.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the goal here is to do it fast and get it right. There are lots of ways to do it, just find what works for you. I write most if it down on a piece of paper:

For gear that is shared (masts, booms and extension):

For each sail, I wright down - Which mast, and what extension; which boom and which extension. Boom height is measured the Zirtaeb way "bow and arrow". There are variations, but all are from the "elbow pit" point and are from memory, although I have made boom height adjustment on the water from time to time, but not on a "sinker".
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I can say is that on Ezzy sails, the boom opening markings are on both sides. For me, I have found that putting my boom at the number 4 is ideal.

for non-cam sails, I tension the downhaul first to where I want it according to the rigging dots on the sail. then, I attach the boom and use the outhaul strings to set boom length, although I now know what the boom should be for each setting for my most used sails.

for the cam sails, I put on some downhaul tension before attaching boom and outhauling, so I know how much below the number 4 marking the boom should be so boom ends up at the marking when fully downhauled to correct setting for that day.

with my method, the boom gets a bit lower when more downhaul is put on (stronger wind) and a bit higher when there is somewhat less downhaul (lighter wind). I have also written correct extension length near tack of sail with marker so I know exactly what extension to use with which sail.

this method works great for me, gets me out on the water fast and accurately.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my buds also mounts his boom after fully downhauling. I don't see how; the tight cutout makes the process MUCH harder for a wide variety of boom heads. But if you guys have mastered it, more power to ya.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
One of my buds also mounts his boom after fully downhauling. I don't see how; the tight cutout makes the process MUCH harder for a wide variety of boom heads. But if you guys have mastered it, more power to ya.

You have Northwaves, its easy. My boom is always the last thing on and the first thing off.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you attach the boom depends on brand and size of sail. For me and Maui Sails, non-cambered sails I have to attach the boom before full downhaul (opening too tight), but for cambered sails I can do it after full downhaul.

Once I made a major mistake when I attached AND CLAMPED THE BOOM TIGHT on a slack 6m sail (no downhaul), then downhauled only to find out that I ripped open the boom opening when it came down on the boom head.

Don't clamp the boom tight until after you downhaul, you are going to have to move it anyway and if you do downhaul the boom opening on to the boom head, maybe the boom will slip down and you won't tear your sail.

Live and learn.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my sails made with longer-than-standard boom openings to facilitate the boom mounting process, accommodate my average (5'8") height, and increase resale market to shorter people. (The sail designer said it does not affect performance.) That way I can snug the dowhaul, have plenty of luff slack to mount the boom easily, lock the boom gate, and finish downhauling with no need to move the boom again.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit of markings on the mast and espatialy on the sail /since they are better visible once rigged/ is that you set your boom hight at the exact position every time /conditions depending/, not a finger higher or two lower. Then while you are sailing and feel that something has changed you look at the boomhead and you realize that is not on the mark you placed it because it has slipped down the mast. Without the markings it's hard to tell if it has moved or not and you'll be wondering what's wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: