myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Problems getting on the plane
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for technik: when you see a gust grab the boom wider , turn sharply downwind and put your weight on the boom by hanging of your arms with overhand grip. You can do that hooked in or not. When I do it unhooked I usually put my front foot in the strap as soon as I feel I'm starting to plane, then I hook in and then I lean forward stick my ass out, weigh my front foot and gently put my back one in the strap. If I'm overpowered I turn upwind before that.
If you are nicely powered in the first place you won't have to wait for a gust of course .
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO sudden moves, hang your weight off your booms, progressively move back towards the straps, bear off smoothly, look for wind swells, pump.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also be stepping back to soon thinking you are about to plane which would tilt the rig aft. This would pull your nose into the wind and stall you out. Bear off, keep the board flat, and pump the sail and you will have a better chance of getting on a plane. At your weight you will most likely need a little more wind. Once you get planning step back, pull the rig in and now you can head up wind.

Good luck
xander.arch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for you windsurfing is one of the few sports that typically rewards smaller people with more time on the water. I'm a small guy but do have a tendency to put on some winter pudge. I have noticed a remarkable difference in my planning efficiency (and general nimbleness) between myself at 170 and myself at 160lbs. So, not to sound harsh, but my advice to you is to use windsuring as a motivator to lose a few lbs. The more you lose the more fun and easy the sport will be!

With that said there are some big guys that sail with me at over 200 lbs that get planing at about the same time I do. Part of that is that they are efficient sailors. But there is alot of very good new gear designed for the big boys. Have fun!
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't heard about Dave White yet- he is a top windsurfer at about your size. You can learn a lot from him. Here is an article to get you started:
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/HavingItLarge.pdf
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
a tendency to put on some winter pudge ... use windsuring as a motivator to lose a few lbs.

I never went to gyms until I moved north, could (would) no longer sail all winter, and gave up my winter sports. Now the gym both prevents most of the pudge and gets me ready for April ... a strong motivator when those first few April days are often on 3.X sails.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
NO sudden moves, hang your weight off your booms, progressively move back towards the straps, bear off smoothly, look for wind swells, pump.

These are the keys to coaxing a board onto a plane with less than a fully powered rig. Don't rush to get into the foot straps. Don't get over involved in fin size either (it matters, but at your stage of skill development it will be more of a distraction than help.)

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't go over well, at 220Lbs I have a hard enough time planing in light winds, at 270 you might be better off kiting Shocked
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problems getting on the plane Reply with quote

JPonHudson wrote:
I need help...Last time I went out I had the following issue:
My biggest issue is that when the wind picks up my board starts behaving differently and I am not sure how to handle it. Thank you in advance for your advice.

When the board picks up speed - are you in the harness ?
Is the sail vertical or are you starting to lean it ?
Is the sail open or pulled towards the board ?
You don't need a harness to plane - just brute force....
However, you said you got tuckered.
If not in the harness - lengthen the lines and practice that in light winds
Practice falling in hooked in - back and forward {arms straight forward fall}
When you move back, move back slowly until you find what works for you.
Since i started on a longboard many moons ago, people still comment on my stance - however, i can stay high and dry - if not too choppy Smile
the main thing is patience , TOW, FUN and smile at the others in the water
the rest will fall into place
do not get discouraged - when it does all come together - just keep smiling
ENJOY Very Happy
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
If you haven't heard about Dave White yet- he is a top windsurfer at about your size. You can learn a lot from him. Here is an article to get you started:
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/HavingItLarge.pdf

I just read it and I feel very inspired. I am noticing that all I have to do it to maximize my TOW and that's is what I did this summer. Not planning yet (my 8.5m fell apart in the beginning of the season) but I feel like I am getting very close while working on non-planing jibs, tacks, deeper water beach starts and using harness lines. Most of all having fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: