myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NoLimitz F.A.S.T. RDM masts feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: NoLimitz F.A.S.T. RDM masts feedback Reply with quote

The usual consensus is RDM (Reduced Diameter Mast) for smaller sails and SDM (Standard Diameter Mast) for larger sails. Say RDM's from 430 cm and down and SDM's for 460 cm and up.

I've been using RDM's for many years, but still used SDM's for my larger sails. So, that means two types of mast extensions to carry around. And it also means riding with the insecurity associated with SDM's: they break, specially when they have a high percentage of carbon.

But that's the past, I am now 100% RDM, since I discovered the NoLimitz F.A.S.T. Skinnies. First a got a 490, loved it, then got a 460.

The only drawback is that they probably don't work fine with cambered sails. But since I gave up on cambered sails years ago, it's not a problem for me.

Give them a try, they're really good.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Razz Wink

another happy camper

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand sails are you using and where are you sailing?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: NoLimitz F.A.S.T. RDM masts feedback Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:

The only drawback is that they probably don't work fine with cambered sails. But since I gave up on cambered sails years ago, it's not a problem for me.

There are a number of sailmakers that make Cmbered sails for RDM. Hot Sails for example has both full on Racing Sails and twin-cams (and non camber flat water). They have been producing RDM in long sizes for quite a while and now they have a 100% carbon RDM, the ultra, that is about the same weight of a standard diameter. Smile My biggest sail is a 8.0 GPS that rigs happily on a 460 RDM http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! SDM and CIS free myself. 490 Gulftech RDM works perfectly with a 9.0 Retro ; 460 EZZY with 7.4 Ka Koyote.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a Gulftech 100% carbon 490 RDM for my 8.3 Windwing Hammer. Although the Hammer has a 2 or 1 camber option, I use it without any cambers. Given the general thought that 460 RDMs are the ceiling limit for RDMs, it's surprising just how well the mast works. Also, an RDM is a big plus when launching in a surf environment.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy supplies cams for both sdm and rdm masts with their cammed sails. they also include a measuring device and cam pockets to perfectly adjust cams to the diameter of YOUR mast.

I think they have been doing this for quite a few years. I have Infinity's and they work great on both rdm and sdm.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for RDM and cammed sails designed around an RDM. I've been using a 2013 HSM GPS 8.0 on a 460 RDM for 4 months now and haven't noticed any speed disadvantage against SDM race sails.
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much happier with the pumpability and handling of my 8m superfreak on 490 skinny(nolimitz fast).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: