myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Video
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several lessons with Dasher in Aruba (2000) I finally was able to plane through jibes with consistency. Ducks too. Happily Dasher included video as part of the teaching. At the time this was the greatest day in my windsurfing life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y5iY3dflUjg

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ah Sherman Island, I miss it. I should comment that when I'm on my 86liter or smaller I tend to flip first or at the same time.

One time I was out sailing by Wells Island in Da Gorge and Andy from ABK was teaching a jibe class. Well Andy asked me to demo a jibe (solid 4.2 wind in my 86 liter). I got nervous and switched my sail first. Andy told the class that I did a "Euro-Trash" jibe and not to copy it. He's never asked me to demo since.

HA! Euro Trash? Really? I'm surprised he would say that about something that works so well for some of us. It sure seems easier, for me anyway, to keep the rail pressured and the board carving all the way through the turn and to come out of it with speed.

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who wants to go to the trouble to video me is welcome to do so; it's in public view. Just don't expect me to let it interfere with my precious sailing time, a rare commodity this year. The last videographer who asked to shoot me (I think he meant with his camera) wanted me to drive 300 miles on a pre-scheduled day (forecast be damned) to a spot at his convenience, which ain't gonna happen.

I switch my feet before, during, or after I jibe the board and/or sail ... whatever my body tells me is appropriate each time. I have no interest in sailing by the numbers; the wind, terrain, speed, path, and opportunities are different in almost every jibe; and canned jibes are best suited to canned scenarios. I try to think with my body, not my head, when things are happening as fast as I like them to happen. Besides, the more I think during a jibe, the less successful they are. I guess my head and feet are just too far apart, and my brain expects unrealistic luxuries like proprioception and balance.

Take Cribbs' footwork, for example. He's doing something like half a dozen things with them ... taking them part way out of the front strap, changing their location, shifting weight between toes and heels, lifting one and planting the other (or was it the other way around?), sliding them around the deck, standing on the back foot while stepping forward with the front/new windward foot ... WAY too much for the computing power of my brain and the duration of my better jibes. I do two things with my feet once the back one is on my lee rail: I pick 'em up and I put 'em down. God ... it's SO simple, SO quick, SO in tune with the terrain and the moment rather than by a long checklist. No WONDER so many people run before the wind (i.e., downwind) for 50 yards or more when jibing; their dang checklist is a page long ... fine for flat, flat Caribbean water, big glidey boards, giant sails, and people who have more talent, balance, and time on their hands than I have. Like Beaglebuddy and countless others, that was too complicated for me. I had to find an easier, more universally applicable, approach that works on any terrain in any amount of wind. It worked and works for me and for many others who were over- and underwhelmed by the inflexible canned approaches.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool vid. Are those Superfreak split toes that you are wearing?
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Video Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
johnl wrote:

Probably a mistake putting it up there. But it's more for the people who are working on these things to see other than a "professional" instruction video when they take their best edited product and put it out there. Smile

http://vimeo.com/66114261

You make the upwind 360 look so easy!

Thanks. I went from "I want to learn this" to I expect to make it during my month stay. But it was a lot of work with a LOT of time spent practicing on beginner boards with small sails.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Quote:
Ah Sherman Island, I miss it. I should comment that when I'm on my 86liter or smaller I tend to flip first or at the same time.

One time I was out sailing by Wells Island in Da Gorge and Andy from ABK was teaching a jibe class. Well Andy asked me to demo a jibe (solid 4.2 wind in my 86 liter). I got nervous and switched my sail first. Andy told the class that I did a "Euro-Trash" jibe and not to copy it. He's never asked me to demo since.

HA! Euro Trash? Really? I'm surprised he would say that about something that works so well for some of us. It sure seems easier, for me anyway, to keep the rail pressured and the board carving all the way through the turn and to come out of it with speed.

Yeah nothing against Andy. I've taken 8 or so camps with him. I laughed when he told me Very Happy I guess I don't "do good demo" under pressure Rolling Eyes But I agree with the step jibe vs others when in lighter winds. In strong winds just about anything works. In nuking wind what ever works is fine by me Laughing
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
After several lessons with Dasher in Aruba (2000) I finally was able to plane through jibes with consistency. Ducks too. Happily Dasher included video as part of the teaching. At the time this was the greatest day in my windsurfing life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y5iY3dflUjg

And to music no less. Razz Nice jibes...
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
Cool vid. Are those Superfreak split toes that you are wearing?

Yes. In SPI the water is 3 to 4 feet deep for miles with lots of sharp things on the bottom. Booties are highly recommended.

I've been trying the Ninja split toe booties lately. MUCH better feel but even less bottom protection. But I had to makes my straps less narrow because they are so snug. Much better for tricks and stuff..
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Andy-approved demo jiber, I will repeat what he says: for the overwhelming majority of people learning to jibe, the step jibe will be learned faster and work better in more conditions. Still, "Eurotrash" has always sounded unnecessarily negative.. When he teaches the duck jibe he instead tells people to switch their feet as late as possible (which is great fun).

johnl wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:
Quote:

Yeah nothing against Andy. I've taken 8 or so camps with him. I laughed when he told me Very Happy I guess I don't "do good demo" under pressure Rolling Eyes But I agree with the step jibe vs others when in lighter winds. In strong winds just about anything works. In nuking wind what ever works is fine by me Laughing

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Video Reply with quote

Got one (upwind 360)!

Got seven, actually. John your video from last year really put the bug in me. I've been doing the nonplaning version for ten years, but my planing attempts were always a bust. I just spent a week in Bonaire, where Andy Brandt gave me the keys to converting the nonplaning upwind 360 to planing. For me they were:
1. Sheet OUT during the carve upwind (never in a million years would this have occurred to me.)
2. Bring head over middle of board while luffing the sail forward to the nose,
3. Weight toes when initiating the downwind spin.

These immediately got me to 360 (and crash ass first). On day 2 I was waterstarting out of the crashes. Day 3 I started hitting them dry.

So thanks again for making them look easy! They weren't easy, but comparatively it was one of the easiest.

(In John's video the 360 sequence starts around 3:05)

johnl wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:
johnl wrote:

Probably a mistake putting it up there. But it's more for the people who are working on these things to see other than a "professional" instruction video when they take their best edited product and put it out there. Smile

http://vimeo.com/66114261

You make the upwind 360 look so easy!

Thanks. I went from "I want to learn this" to I expect to make it during my month stay. But it was a lot of work with a LOT of time spent practicing on beginner boards with small sails.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: