myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roadtrip Ideas SFO to Gorge...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diannesf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlemmens wrote:
One big reason I have for supporting the beachcomber is because Ted, the owner, supports windsurfing and the AWT without his help the contest probably wouldn't be as successful. There's very few non-windsurfers supporting windsurfing so that's a big thing for me. Furthermore the rooms are clean and some even have hot tubs on the balcony where you just look out on the ocean.

We just drove up 101 from SF to Gold Beach/Pistol River last week for the AWT Wave Bash, and stayed, with our very energetic dog, at the Beachcomber. I echo Rueben's comments and add that it is very dog friendly. We stayed in one of the ocean view rooms with beach access right out the sliding glass door! It is awesome, reasonably priced, and chill.

Also, the 101 is stunning and fun to drive. Lots of interesting places and it's a lot cooler than inland in the summer. Whatever you choose, have a great trip!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove Highway 97 back one time from the Gorge, and I doubt that I would ever do it again. Outside of being a two lane highway for most of the way, you end up slowing down and stopping at electric signals through every town along the way. Some folks like a slow pace and don't mind the stop and go through towns, but I would much prefer more lanes and open freeway.

However, if I want to take my time and enjoy in the scenery on my way north or south, there's nothing better than Highway 1. Having the ocean right there makes a big difference, particularly if the conditions are sunny and right for windsurfing.

What I would recommend is driving up I5 to Grants Pass and cutting over to the coast on Highway 199. That way you get the southern Oregon coast, and a chance to sail Pistol River or Cape Sebastian. Stay in Gold Beach overnight and in the morning take in the coast up to Florence and maybe sail again. I would then cut inland to I5 at Eugene. After that, it's straight to the Columbia River and east to Hood River.

I remember one trip years ago where conditions were so great at Pistol River, we stayed in the area for 5 days before continuing on to the Gorge. If the coast is on, why not indulge a bit?
mikecole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please support the inn of the beachcomber in gold beach if you can. Ted does so much for the AWT. The rooms are super plush. Good surf right out in front of the hotel. They offer SUP demos and a lower rate for windsurfers.

Mike
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing at Lake Floras on the south Oregon Coast. Reply with quote

Windsurfing at Lake Floras on the south Oregon Coast.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While windsurfing Floras can be fun and a new experience, I think, for most windsurfers, it'd get boring after a couple of good days.
Easy to drive 20 minutes to FaceRock, 40 to Florence, and 45 the other direction to Pistol/Cape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: