myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Video
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Video Reply with quote

In light of the harness line, planing, and jibing chats going around I thought I would throw this out there. This is from my South Padre Island trip this spring. Nothing special, and mostly just fun with me sailing around chasing a friend of mine (I sailed for 2 hours that session, and this is about 6 minutes of it).

BUT...

Harness lines. I'm on mono 28" lines (about the same as 30" lines if placed one first apart. Notice my butt is not dragging on the water like some suggest who use much shorter lines. Also notice my sail is pretty upright. My arms are also very relaxed on the booms. My only self criticism is I should be straighter above my harness. But then again this is a somewhat upwind stance.

Planing. Notice how the feet slowly move back to their positions. Trying not to disrupt the board. Also when you see the board move back and forth remember the POV is the clew, so actually the sail is moving. Not really a pump, more of a lazy feather that I use a lot Smile

Jibing. Not my best jibes. I normally unhook much sooner than I show in these and normally sheet in much more. Not the jibes I would pick for a jibing video. But despite that the speed is carried through the jibe which makes it fairly easy to get going again. Also I was a tad underpowered on my 5.2 but with a freestyle board, made it work.

Blown jibe. This shows pretty good what happens when you hook in and power up the sail before your feet are set Smile

Probably a mistake putting it up there. But it's more for the people who are working on these things to see other than a "professional" instruction video when they take their best edited product and put it out there. Smile

http://vimeo.com/66114261
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the dock start and the music. looks like it was a fun day.
sl55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting a Skate to use as a flat water free-move board for it's early planing ability and volume distribution. What fin are you using and how much do you weigh?
sl55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting a Skate to use as a flat-water free-move board for it's early planing ability and volume distribution. What fin are you using and how much do you weigh?
PS. We're you using a "Clew-view" for a mount?
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll add to the video jibe section. Only because this is a bit different than JohnL's step jibes but also shows the broad reach to broad reach turn he mentioned. 5.5 and a 2008 110 rrd fsw which I hated for freeriding and since then got a 120 ltr Open Ocean. Anyway, not very pretty but a reverse foot jibe (foot switch after the sail flip) which is pretty much all I do since it's so much easier in chop than most jibes. Maybe now since the Mr. Fick AKA Jibe Master FINALLY figured out how to post a picture, he can post a video on how to do it his way. Come'on Mike! We're throwing our asses out there, how 'bout you do the same?

https://vimeo.com/69210081

johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
I am thinking about getting a Skate to use as a flat-water free-move board for it's early planing ability and volume distribution. What fin are you using and how much do you weigh?
PS. We're you using a "Clew-view" for a mount?

Well the winter wasn't kind to me. I weigh 190 and should be around 175 😞
I use a Naish Freestyle 115 for 6.2, 5.7, and sometimes 5.2 sailing. I use a weed fin in SPI and a Makani wave fin 26) in Da Gorge. On my Skate 99 I use 5.2 and 4.7. I was using a Makani weed freestyle fin in the video and usually use the stock fin or a MFC (till it wears out and I change to Makani) 19.

And yes it was a Clew-view. Expensive but as you could tell easy to attach..

Last edited by johnl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
OK I'll add to the video jibe section. Only because this is a bit different than JohnL's step jibes but also shows the broad reach to broad reach turn he mentioned. 5.5 and a 2008 110 rrd fsw which I hated for freeriding and since then got a 120 ltr Open Ocean. Anyway, not very pretty but a reverse foot jibe (foot switch after the sail flip) which is pretty much all I do since it's so much easier in chop than most jibes. Maybe now since the Mr. Fick AKA Jibe Master FINALLY figured out how to post a picture, he can post a video on how to do it his way. Come'on Mike! We're throwing our asses out there, how 'bout you do the same?

https://vimeo.com/69210081

Ah Sherman Island, I miss it. I should comment that when I'm on my 86liter or smaller I tend to flip first or at the same time.

One time I was out sailing by Wells Island in Da Gorge and Andy from ABK was teaching a jibe class. Well Andy asked me to demo a jibe (solid 4.2 wind in my 86 liter). I got nervous and switched my sail first. Andy told the class that I did a "Euro-Trash" jibe and not to copy it. He's never asked me to demo since 😒
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
I am thinking about getting a Skate to use as a flat water free-move board for it's early planing ability and volume distribution. What fin are you using and how much do you weigh?

They are excellent (super early planing, will carve any diameter move you want) but do not sail in a straight line well if you are not balanced and refined in your reaching. Try one before you buy. For me this style of board is the only choice for lighter winds (you can do so much with them). Not a lot of fun in disorganized chop.

whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Maybe now since the Mr. Fick AKA Jibe Master FINALLY figured out how to post a picture, he can post a video on how to do it his way. Come'on Mike! We're throwing our asses out there, how 'bout you do the same?

yes, yes, yes!! now that is something I would almost pay to see!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Video Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

Probably a mistake putting it up there. But it's more for the people who are working on these things to see other than a "professional" instruction video when they take their best edited product and put it out there. Smile

http://vimeo.com/66114261

You make the upwind 360 look so easy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: