myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I gave up reading the above

I don't blame you. Its target is people trying to learn how to plane through jibes, not good jibers. The former need much more detail than the latter, and need to understand that sailing straight downwind for 50 meters or more, as I was advised decades ago, ain't the hot setup in real world chop. These dang things won't coast like luge sleds.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do a slogging gybe only. I have been watching this video over and over. It has helped me.

http://youtu.be/9HHivVsWonc
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I’m not trying to say my approach is the only way to jibe, even though it is derived largely from what jibing guru Cort Larned taught me about 25 years ago.

If jibing guru Cort Larned was teaching now, he'd not be advocating what you are, as he would have continued to refine his teaching, and of course adapt it to modern equipment.

As for all the typing about where's my evidence etc. there are in fact thousands of posts here, and thousands more in rec.windsurfing. As I'm not writing a thesis, I'll offer up this thread as a memorable example:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

Anyone who reads what you posted in there and somehow thinks that's a one-off, can be directed to another post. And another and another.

Mo Gunn's catalogue of artwork depicting your contributions is sadly no longer in one place. However she graciously gave me approval to use her pieces as appropriate...attached is a favorite.

In summation, I think you often give advice that is not applicable to anyone not sailing overpowered in the Gorge 20 years ago. Perhaps you'd like to start a thread supporting your Back Foot First advice (one more Isobar recommendation that will hinder someone learning to plane through a jibe, or learn early planing for that matter. Or speed sailing...)

(anyone reading this post in the hopes of finding learn to jibe advice: qualified instruction is by far the fastest and most cost effective way to learn. You can spend decades grooving ineffective technique. Videos are good for painting a picture of the fundamentals...I like Dasher's best, also Peter Hart's...haven't seen Cribb's...but without someone watching you and telling you what you're doing (vs what you think you're doing) it's hard to get it. There IS a substitute for time on the water: good instruction. If you're in the US and can get to an ABK clinic, I recommend it.)

That's my time allotment. It's likely "crickets" from me in this thread, Isobars, so enjoy yourself.

thread_jack_254.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.9 KB
 Viewed:  11274 Time(s)

thread_jack_254.jpg

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing_process.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.84 KB
 Viewed:  11252 Time(s)

writing_process.gif

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
As for all the typing about where's my evidence etc. there are in fact thousands of posts here, and thousands more in rec.windsurfing. As I'm not writing a thesis, I'll offer up this thread as a memorable example:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

You link must be incorrect. That entire thread reinforces my points and completely denies your accusation that I denigrate anything.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
can be directed to another post. And another and another.

Yet you can't find even one. Why are we not surprised?

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Mo Gunn's catalogue of artwork ...
Her artwork is indeed great, but repetition of libel does not validate it.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I think you often give advice that is not applicable to anyone not sailing overpowered in the Gorge 20 years ago.

Fine. Then counter my claims directly, factually, and logically, like an adult, rather than lying about what I've said despite archival proof that you're making stuff up.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Perhaps you'd like to start a thread supporting your Back Foot First advice

I start very few threads, can think of nothing to add to the debate, have seen many others support it, and have seen no valid procedural counterargument.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
(one more Isobar recommendation that will hinder someone learning to plane through a jibe, or learn early planing for that matter. Or speed sailing...)

You keep claiming those impacts, but don't try to support them when asked to do so. The reason why is obvious.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
haven't seen Cribb's ...

The first word on his screen when discussing the planing jibes section of his Intuition video is "aggression". Pritchard emphasizes maintaining consistent speed into, through, and out of the jibe, something not possible when coasting downwind waiting for the wind to flip the sail.

Then, FINALLY, we agree on something PeconicPuffin wrote:
anyone reading this post in the hopes of finding learn to jibe advice: qualified instruction is by far the fastest and most cost effective way to learn.

PeconicPuffin wrote:
That's my time allotment.

Nothing new there. Your crickets speak more loudly than your self-disproved accusation ... something you should consider before making false accusations about people.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one, noshuz, but countered by

Many frustrated newby jibers would appreciate it very much if we'd stick to jibing, however.
bkiggins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWRND?

Go kiting...
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Jibing Reply with quote

This is an aggressive jibe. I have watched this video over and over. It has helped me.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdopwHIxq0M
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle probably stopped reading long ago, but I remember the sensation he was talking about (bouncing board), and one of the ways I cured it when I was learning to plane through jibes was to go out one day in overpowered conditions and purposely bear off to attain as much speed as possible before inevitably crashing. I forced myself to do that 25 times in a row--accruing some spectular crashes in the process--and it completely broke me of being afraid of the speed one needs heading into a jibe. Speed is your friend, and you have to get comfortable with keeping the hammer down.

Another thing that helps--and I've seen it mentioned here--is to tell yourself that you're only jibing through 60 degrees, not 180. So you bear off for 60 degrees, jibe through 60, then come through on a broad reach, ready to head back upwind (i.e., the remaining 60) with good speed. That way the jibe itself isn't such a huge event, it just sorta happens between to broad points of sail.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I have been saying for a while Very Happy Broad reach to broad reach. But as to the bouncing sensation that comes down to smoothness and speed. Smoothness in unhooking and smoothness in moving your back foot and applying pressure.

Think about it. If you take a buoyant object and suddenly press down on it, it will sink then it will rebound. Then weight comes down on it again, sinks again then rebounds again. Throw in chop, gusty wind and whatever else you want to throw in and you understand why boards bounce in jibes.

SMOOTHLY making any changes to your boards balance helps eliminate this. Also speed because it helps stabilize your board.

I agree I'm sure the OP ran and hid when PP poked the typing dragon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: