myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
U.S. now an international laughing stock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, 'Well I guess it's okay if you keep him as long as you want, but don't waterboard him, that would be a bad thing, we might get a little upset'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kerry: US wants no confrontation with Russia
By DEB RIECHMANN
Associated Press

JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday that the United States is not looking for a confrontation with Russia, where admitted NSA leaker Edward Snowden is believed to be hiding.

Speaking at a news conference in Saudi Arabia, Kerry said it's true that the United States does not have an extradition treaty with Russia but called on Moscow to comply with common law practices between countries where fugitives are concerned.

"There are standards of behavior between sovereign nations. There is common law," Kerry said. "There is respect for rule of law and we would simply call on our friends in Russia to respect the fact that a partner nation - a co-member of the permanent five of the United Nations - has made a normal request under legal systems."

Russia's foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov, earlier Tuesday bluntly rejected U.S. demands for Snowden, saying the American hadn't crossed the Russian border.

Lavrov insisted that Russia had nothing to do with him or his travel plans.

Washington does not need a fight with Moscow at a time when U.S.-Russian relations are strained over Syria. Kerry and Lavrov are to meet next week at a Southeast Asia security conference in Brunei.

Kerry, however, said the U.S. continues to hope that if Snowden is in Russia, that Moscow would turn him over to American authorities. He noted that in the past two years, the U.S. transferred seven people to Russia at Moscow's request. Kerry said the U.S. did so "without any clamor, without any rancor, without any arguments."

Kerry said, "I would simply appeal for calm and reasonableness. We would hope that Russia would not side with someone who is a fugitive' from justice."

"They certainly can allow him to be subject to the laws and our constitution of which he is a citizen of, and that's what we call on him to do. We're not looking for a confrontation," Kerry said. "We are not ordering anybody."

"We don't need to raise the level of confrontation over something that's frankly as basic and normal as this," he said.

Snowden is a former CIA employee who later was hired as a contractor for the NSA. In that job, he gained access to documents that he gave to newspapers the Guardian and The Washington Post to expose what he contends are privacy violations by an authoritarian government.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_NSA_SURVEILLANCE_DIPLOMACY_KERRY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-25-09-24-22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pretty classic stuff, coming from the kumbaya admin.
Better concentrate on the most threatening thing to humankind, global warming!!!!!
You go BHO, piss off all those evil coal miners, and their families, they didn't need the work anyway.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a hawk and Obama hater. Can you spell diplomacy? Or do you think we should just go ahead and bomb Russia?
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Such a hawk and Obama hater. Can you spell diplomacy? Or do you think we should just go ahead and bomb Russia?

Your logic leaps are amazing, but not surprising.
Maybe BHO should draw another line in the sand, just so that high tide can cover it up.
He's great at that.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW--you are a poorly informed hater. There is no extradition treaty with Russia. Perhaps Bush should have done that on his watch? Kumbaya yourself. Logic? Want to show me some?
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wise man points to the moon, the fool looks at the finger.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Different folks.

Mac's story is real.

Is yours?

Or are you now suffering from the same dementia as Mr. Fick-shun?
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Wozniak: Snowden ‘Is a Hero Because This Came From His Heart’
by Lloyd Grove Jun 26, 2013 4:45 AM EDT

The Apple cofounder tells Lloyd Grove why he supports the NSA leaker, how the agency hasn’t ‘done one thing valuable for us’—and why the Internet wasn’t supposed to be this way.

Computer whiz Steve Wozniak is more than a little distressed that the technology he helped develop nearly four decades ago is being used on a massive scale to invade people’s privacy.

He’s especially troubled by the secret intrusions into the private emails of American citizens by the National Security Agency—secret, that is, until the recent detailed revelations of the NSA’s Prism program of electronic surveillance by a 29-year-old NSA contractor-turned-fugitive named Edward Snowden.

“I think he’s a hero,” said the 62-year-old Wozniak, who co-founded Apple Computer with Steve Jobs and invented the Apple I and Apple II personal computers that launched a technological revolution. “He’s a hero to my beliefs about how the Constitution should work. I don’t think the NSA has done one thing valuable for us, in this whole ‘Prism’ regard, that couldn’t have been done by following the Constitution and doing it the old way.”

For the rest~

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/26/steve-wozniak-snowden-is-a-hero-because-this-came-from-his-heart.html
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much tequila.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
I am not afraid of terrorism.

Are you going to change that tune after, or before, they pull off a major dirty bomb attack rendering a major city uninhabitable for hundreds of years, send the U.S. back to the stone age with one EMP weapon over Kansas, destroy our power grid or banking system with a cyberattack, gas a Superbowl, glassify Israel or NYC, or do something equally harmful we haven't even thought of yet? I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those in my own lifetime, and would bet strongly on it within a generation.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

Are you going to change that tune after, or before, they pull off a major dirty bomb attack rendering a major city uninhabitable for hundreds of years, send the U.S. back to the stone age with one EMP weapon over Kansas, destroy our power grid or banking system with a cyberattack, gas a Superbowl, glassify Israel or NYC, or do something equally harmful we haven't even thought of yet? I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those in my own lifetime, and would bet strongly on it within a generation.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

(You taking scare lessons from Liz Cheney?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: