myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to ask for non-emergency help on VHF marine radio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
us85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: How to ask for non-emergency help on VHF marine radio? Reply with quote

I know how to do a Mayday or a Pan-Pan, but what if I'm just looking for a ride from a nearby good Samaritan.

(Yes, I should always be able to self-rescue and never put myself in a situation where I can't get back in. I'm just thinking about the what-ifs.)

So, assume I'm a mile out on little gear and the wind completely shuts off or something breaks that will cause me to have to paddle for a very long time to get in. Also, assume that there are a number of boats within a mile of me, and it's possible one of them would be happy to drag me back in closer to shore. So, how would I ask in such a manner as to not get the coast guard and/or the DNR police involved? Even if they are willing to come out and help, I'd rather not use up their resources.

BTW, I've looked into getting a towing membership, but they said "No, the only recreational vessels we sell our towing services to, are vessels that have engines."
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit on your board and wave your arms in the international distress signal (Google it) and/or fire your flares. With any luck* you'll find a sober boater who gives a crap. If not, start swimming.

* Don't bet your life on it. I tried both when my power boat turned upside down directly off Hood River's Event Site. 1,000 WSers (big event going on) and the Sheriff ignored both, so I abandoned the boat and swam ashore.
fanaticultrahawk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my harbor channels 68 - 72 are used by local yacht clubs, fishing chatter, and what beach are you going to etc. This may be a better an option over 16/9 as sounds like you are targeting being rescued by recreation craft and not looking to raise any red flags with USCG/ harbor patrol.

i would say this is windsurfer fanaticultrahawk - give location (twice), looking for quick tow half mile to nearest beach is anyone able to provide assistance.

after the rescue i would follow up on the same channel letting everyone know the situation has been resolved wheather or not u made it on your own or got a tow. of course you would also buy rescuer a 6 or 12 pack depending on the effort!
Ineed2plane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with initiating coms on channel 16 then taking the conversation to another channel. You will probably have better luck with that.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time and opportunity for you to practice your self rescue techniques.
Derig and stuff mast halves inside your front straps, mast base across your rear straps, lay on sail, and drag your boom with either the uphaul or outhaul tied to your rear straps. Your harness can strap your sail into a tight roll.
Paddle. You can paddle close to 2.5 mph, so a 40 minute paddle, for exercise, for displaying your self awareness, and to raise your self esteem.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw a guy successfully paddle a board while lying on it.

Once.

It's apparently a surfer skill.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I once saw a guy successfully paddle a board while lying on it.

Once.

It's apparently a surfer skill.

I see lots of people do it since it's the very first thing we have novices do at the club. I don't care for it myself, since I get water in my eyes, and it depends upon the size of your board, but it's pretty easy.

Come by and we'll show you how :p
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the concept, but lying face down on top of a disassembled rig on top of a sinker in chopswell, holding one's head up to look where he's going, and using his arms and shoulders in a mode nobody strengthens for any other purpose presents at least three barriers to success in a game I might want to play once every 10 years. I remember needing to derig maybe 2 or 3 times in 33 years of this, as I usually just swim if the wind quits so completely that it's easier than slogging. Even then, I stay rigged to catch any remaining gusts, and I'm seldom in waters as big and commercially congested as yours.

But thanks for the offer. I'll swing by for a lesson next time I'm in the Bay area. '-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: