myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the big lie "the media is liberal"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14461

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see Chris Matthews' explanation of why Obama's Brandenburg Gate speech was so poor? "The sun in his eyes plus the 90 degree heat obscured his teleprompters".

Can not every human on the planet see how lame that comment is on about four different levels?


I guess I'll have to list them:
1. He can't acknowledge that his hero failed ... again.
2. Obama got elected three times based on his fifth grade reading skills, with zero evidence of leadership.
3. NUMBER TWO MATTERS.
4. The temperature was 90 degrees ... FAHRENHEIT, not Celsius. IOW, a nice February mid-morning in several U.S. cities.

$100,000,000 for THAT while, according to those same teleprompters, air traffic control centers, day care centers, schools, police and fire departments, national parks, 15% of our mail service .... hell, everything short of NASA's primary mission -- Muslim Outreach -- is taking huge hits.

BTW, guess who pockets $10 cash for every cell phone taxpayers buy for the poor? Carlos Slim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pueno



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2737

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainbear wrote:
I really wished we had a reliable News source that would, more efficiently and honestly, inform the population about what is going on without partisanship.

NPR.


Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

Can not every human on the planet see how lame that comment is on about four different levels?

Yeah, Mikey, right you are. He should have written prompts on his hand like what's-her-name.


Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

$100,000,000 for THAT while, according to those same teleprompters, air traffic control centers, day care centers, schools, police and fire departments, national parks, 15% of our mail service .... hell, everything short of NASA's primary mission -- Muslim Outreach -- is taking huge hits.

Oh, gosh, not your disability cash, too! Say it ain't so!
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mac



Joined: 07 Mar 1999
Posts: 5467

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are still not clear on how meta-messages work, let's look at Mike Fick's little throw-away line:

Quote:
BTW, guess who pockets $10 cash for every cell phone taxpayers buy for the poor? Carlos Slim.


Of course, several here have called the phone program--the product of an anti-trust lawsuit settlement during the Reagan administration--Obama-phones. Like the slur that he is the food-stamp president, this is intended to remind us, with a little bit of subtlety, to those shiftless black people who are taking advantage of us hard working white folks to get free stuff. The facts--that the phone companies lost the anti-trust lawsuit because they were gouging everyone, especially the poor, and the fact that the program was created under Reagan, and expanded to cell-phones by Congress, under Bush, are conveniently omitted. As is the fact that funds are not taxes. From fact check:

Quote:
Griffin’s video focuses on Lifeline, a federally mandated program that reimburses phone companies with a monthly subsidy of $9.25 for each low-income customer who uses a landline or a cell phone. The program has allowed millions of persons living under or just above the poverty line to acquire cell phones — once considered a luxury — for free.

Lifeline is funded by telecom customers who pay a universal service fee as part of their phone bills. The fee technically is not a tax but a cross subsidy, the rules of which are determined by the Federal Communications Commission.


There is no need to be overtly racist, subtle images will work fine. To make sure that Mexican's are added to the pot, Iso brings up Carlos Slim. As the richest man in the world it is hard to argue that he is shiftless, but it is no less a slur based on racial stereotypes.

Of course this comes from a good old boy from Alabama, one of 6 states to enact laws attempting to restrict voting for blacks and Hispanics. A state where 95% of the black population voted for Obama, but only 15% of the whites did so. A fine example of our post-racial tension world here in America. And a place where Mike has made it clear, he saw no problems while he was growing up. Mike did have to cross the border to an Arkansas Congressman to garble the facts on taxpayers paying for the program, but any good old boy will do when you are attacking the poor.

Yessiree, you don't need to use the N word anymore. Meta messages will do just fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bajaDean



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 993
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Did you see Chris Matthews' explanation of why Obama's Brandenburg Gate speech was so poor? "The sun in his eyes plus the 90 degree heat obscured his teleprompters".

Can not every human on the planet see how lame that comment is on about four different levels?


I guess I'll have to list them:
1. He can't acknowledge that his hero failed ... again.
2. Obama got elected three times based on his fifth grade reading skills, with zero evidence of leadership.
3. NUMBER TWO MATTERS.
4. The temperature was 90 degrees ... FAHRENHEIT, not Celsius. IOW, a nice February mid-morning in several U.S. cities.

$100,000,000 for THAT while, according to those same teleprompters, air traffic control centers, day care centers, schools, police and fire departments, national parks, 15% of our mail service .... hell, everything short of NASA's primary mission -- Muslim Outreach -- is taking huge hits.

BTW, guess who pockets $10 cash for every cell phone taxpayers buy for the poor? Carlos Slim.


wow failed... hahahah do you realize when Bush left office the approval ratings of the US/Bush there were only about 12 nations in the world that had more than 50% favoribility ratings on earth. And that that had never happened in the history of the USAa history.

That logic says are we safer from terrorism by being hated or respected? that under Bush the number of terrorists worldwide that wanted to do us harm grew by exponential numbers. Again are we better off with only 10 nations with positive favorable rating or in a higher risk?

Next a s a specific example, when Bush went to the Popes funeral, where the religious of the that religion were standing for hours crowding the streets and when Bushes picture was shown as attending the funeral the crowd of religious people at Popes funeral Booed all over Rome. What a disrespect if there ever was a pure hatred disrespect of a human. Bush was the most hated disrespected human to ever live with these numbers.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/17982/obama-world-approval-rating-high-praise-abroad-proves-the-president-deserves-a-second-term

Quote:
During the eight years that Bush was in office, the image of America abroad took a pretty hard hit. In Bush's last year in office, I spent some time volunteering in a village in Peru. A farmer took me to see his donkey tied behind the shed. He pointed at it and said, “His name is Bush.”


Quote:
In analyzing Pew's international polls forthe president and America, it hard to ignore the tremendous affect Obama has had in terms of projecting a positive and progressive vision of America. Obama's image has overwhelmingly resonated with our neighbors in Europe, South America and Asia (with the exception of China).

The vast majority of European countries have sizable margins of approval when it comes to the way that Obama has worked with other nations on economic problems. More people like America’s ways of doing business now than four years ago. Polls even show that more people like “American views of democracy” now compared to four years ago.


http://www.pewglobal.org/2012/06/13/global-opinion-of-obama-slips-international-policies-faulted/


hmmm 100million, can you tell us how much it cost us to send Bush to G8 meetings inflation compensated..
Or are you a person who says that you should not have discussions with other nations face to face?

added....


and again do you hear every media plastering every day we are safer because we are respected in the world again. Or the debate to the masses are we safer when we are despised or when we are respected. Again if our nations goal is to stop terrorism, this is a no brainer. But the right wing owned media is so controlled that this simple discussion is not brought up. How common sense is this that the more you are hated the more terrorism you and terrorists there will be. Again the military should be pointing this out to all our so called oximoron intelligence agencies too. But they are silent. don't just say gee baja it is just you are smarter than all because this takes such a high level of intelligence to figure out, because it doesn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bajaDean



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 993
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainbear wrote:
I agree that I am poorly informed and that was the reason for the post. I really wished we had a reliable News source that would, more efficiently and honestly, inform the population about what is going on without partisanship. Maybe than we could have a more productive discussion based on facts instead of assumptions.
You also have to accept personal responsibility for not being informed which you should not have to. As you say we should have journalists. But that is capitalism, we publicly state only capitalism is good, yet we practice socialism in so many areas like defense.

and in one area where capitalism is causing problems is ownership of the media, hence my examples. so many on this thread. I say he who owns th company makes the decisions. Some on the right claim that the worker bee the employee decides on what is done in a business.

When was the last time a right winger who bought a company ever said I am not the boss...

here is another example of what has been know as I said from before 9-11. but people are all upset about Obama continuing the program but Obama re-instated FISA requirements to actually use the information.

Now isn't it interesting the entire media is not bring up the fact that Bush was wiretapping BEFORE 9-11 without approval. Don't you all think this is important information and it is well known by those of us that have a clue.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043153/report-nsa-collected-us-email-records-internet-use-for-years.html#tk.nl_today

Quote:
The U.S. National Security Agency collected the email and Internet use records of some U.S. residents for about a decade following the September 11 terrorist attacks, according to documents published Thursday by the U.K. newspaper the Guardian.

The NSA’s collection of email and Internet use metadata was authorized by former President George W. Bush after September 11, 2001, and continued for two years under President Barack Obama, according to the Guardian’s report.

The Guardian published two secret documents on the so-called Stellar Wind collection program, a March 2009 NSA inspector general’s report on the program and a November 2007 U.S. Department of Justice memo defending the collection.



http://dennisloo.blogspot.mx/2007/10/bush-started-warrantless-wiretapping-of.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/18/warrantless_wiretapping_latest/
https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying


Quote:
Separately, US carrier Qwest refused to provide NSA spooks with access to local communications switches (a move that would have allowed surveillance of domestic phone calls without a court order) in early 2001 - before the devastating World Trade Center attacks in September that year.

Negotiations between the NSA and AT&T in February 2001 allegedly involved replicating a New Jersey network centre to allow the US signals intelligence "access to all the global phone and email traffic that ran through it". The incident has become one aspect of a lawsuit which also brings in allegations that Verizon set up a dedicated fibre-optic line from New Jersey to a large military facility in Quantico. Spooky.

An AT&T technician at the time has provided evidence supporting the allegations. However, other AT&T technicians are due to testify that the project was confined to improving internal communications within the NSA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bajaDean



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 993
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/business/media/with-political-ad-profits-swing-state-tv-stations-are-hot-properties.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130708&_r=0

Quote:
When Allbritton, the media company that owns Politico, put its seven television stations up for sale this spring, analysts quickly singled out one as the most attractive: WJLA, the company’s ABC-affiliated station in Washington, D.C. It is the biggest of the bunch, the best known and, perhaps most important, a magnet for political spending.

WJLA took in $33 million in election-related and issue advocacy advertising last year. Only three stations in the United States earned more for political ads, and two of those were also in Washington. That’s because the stations’ signals reach citizens in a crucial battleground state, Virginia, as well as the political power brokers in the nation’s capital. If Allbritton were to sell WJLA by itself, it could fetch $300 million.
That math helps explain why Gannett paid $1.5 billion for 20 stations last month, why the Tribune Company agreed last week to pay $2.7 billion for 19 stations — and why more consolidation in the marketplace is forecast for later this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bajaDean



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 993
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a very nice article and the media did run it, in one day 424 news sources covered it (many are duplicate so the number may be 10-20% lower. seems many are from other countries. 10-20%

we have an amazing person here... hopefully she will become head of the UN someday.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/malala-yousafzai-invokes-mahatma-gandhi-in-her-un-speech-391639

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/07/12/malala_yousafzai_asks_un_to_fund_free_education_says_she_forgives_taliban_for_shooting_her.html

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/12/video-of-malala-yousafzai-at-u-n-calling-on-world-leaders-to-provide-education-to-every-child/?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130713
Quote:
In a speech at the United Nations on her 16th birthday, Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head by the Taliban for promoting education for girls in Pakistan, called on world leaders to provide “free, compulsory education” for every child.

“Let us pick up our books and our pens,” Ms. Yousafzai told young leaders from 100 countries at the United Nations Youth Assembly in New York. “They are our most powerful weapons. One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world. Education is the only solution.”

Ms. Yousafzai, noting that she was proud to be wearing a shawl that had once belonged to Benazir Bhutto, spoke in a calm, self-assured voice as she delivered her first major speech since she was shot on the left side of her head Oct. 9 on her way home from school in Pakistan’s Swat Valley.

In her speech, she recalled how the attackers had also shot her friends. “They thought that the bullets would silence us,” she said, “but they failed.”

....

She also emphasized that she had no desire for revenge against the Taliban or any other terrorist group. She included the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, Gandhi and Mother Teresa as among the leaders who have inspired her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 14461

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't relate directly to bias, but it clearly shows how far the media have strayed from verifying stories before broadcasting them.

For those living under a rock, some TV new media, based only on one source, broadcast the names of the four Korean pilots on that crashed Asiana flight as:

Sum Ting Wong
Wi Tu Lo
Ho Lee Fuk
Bang Dung Ow

SERIOUSLY!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pueno



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2737

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
This doesn't relate directly to bias, but it clearly shows how far the media have strayed from verifying stories before broadcasting them.

For those living under a rock, some TV new media, based only on one source, broadcast the names of the four Korean pilots on that crashed Asiana flight as:

Sum Ting Wong
Wi Tu Lo
Ho Lee Fuk
Bang Dung Ow

SERIOUSLY!

Seriously, Mikey, verify your story before you publish.

That last guy's name was "Bang Ding Ow."
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bajaDean



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 993
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
This doesn't relate directly to bias, but it clearly shows how far the media have strayed from verifying stories before broadcasting them.

For those living under a rock, some TV new media, based only on one source, broadcast the names of the four Korean pilots on that crashed Asiana flight as:

Sum Ting Wong
Wi Tu Lo
Ho Lee Fuk
Bang Dung Ow

SERIOUSLY!


so who owns that station? please do tell us... and for one infraction should the FCC prevent the owner of that station for ever owning any media in the USA. Should the owned do some jail time.

come on the right talks tough about crime and punishment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
Page 84 of 149

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group