myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Giving up jibing, for now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Gybing is fun and looks cool but there is not much benefit from it in free riding on flat water.

Unless, of course, one wants to plane for hours on end even on a small lake.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
I flipped the sail when it starting pulling on my back hand pretty hard

IMO, that's way too late, all but guaranteeing the "stall jibe" we see all day simply because if the wind catches up with us, we've slowed down too much. Long before we've slowed down that much, we should be sheeting in and accelerating on the new broad reach.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
KevinDo wrote:
I flipped the sail when it starting pulling on my back hand pretty hard

IMO, that's way too late, all but guaranteeing the "stall jibe" we see all day simply because if the wind catches up with us, we've slowed down too much. Long before we've slowed down that much, we should be sheeting in and accelerating on the new broad reach.

People here still say I flip it pretty early though Very Happy. Basically its flipped when I already start pointing deep downwind in the other direction (little before that most of the time). If there is sufficient wind I plane through 90% of em; that is if everything else like footwork and arm crossing goes well lol.

-Kevin
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planing into a jibe with the 11'8" is a real treat for those that have a very heavy back foot. flip the sail just before you get the board pointed directly downwind. stomp the tail around under the sail. it's short boarding blasphemy to jibe that way, but works on the 11'8" once yo get the feel of how to plane thru a jibe on the 11'8," yo may be a ble to understand the differences between it and a short board jibe in the vid's you've watched?

also, don't worry too much about the concrete sequential i've seen countless sailors fall into. try some duck jibes. look at the vid's, have a go with the same heavy back foot as i said above. it's a thrill to pull these off, because it's so much the wrong thing to do compared to when i learned on long narrow 9'6" boards from the 80's and 90's.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take some lessons with a good instructor. There are too many components to a jibe that need to be done reasonably well to try and work through from tips, for most people. Also, you may find that it's not a question of what to do, but of what not to do. Someone qualified watching you can spot problems you're creating for yourself in a few seconds.
drysuit2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Take some lessons with a good instructor. There are too many components to a jibe that need to be done reasonably well to try and work through from tips, for most people. Also, you may find that it's not a question of what to do, but of what not to do. Someone qualified watching you can spot problems you're creating for yourself in a few seconds.

Listen to Michael……
Clinic,
Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic, Clinic,
Lesson, lesson, Lesson, lesson, Lesson, lesson, Lesson, lesson, Lesson, lesson, Lesson, lesson, Lesson, lesson,

The single most important thing you can purchase in windsurfing: is instruction.

Let me say that one more time.

The single most important thing you can purchase in windsurfing: is instruction.

It is impossible for someone to tell from a post what you might need to do to improve your jybes.

The second most important thing you can purchase in windsurfing is Time On the Water.

When we try and diagnose problems via a post, we become the Ministry of Miss-Information. We make the error of assuming that you can actually self diagnose your problem or sticking point. Because we don’t understand that… Our posts just serve brag about us; but do nothing to help you. And we genuinely WANT to HELP YOU.

There are Clinics, Wind-Fests, Competitions with Clinics all over the place. Take advantage of them.
I have been windsurfing since the 70’s. I still take a clinic every chance I get. Every time I sail with someone better than I am [not too hard to find] I ask questions, try to sail behind them, ask them to sail behind me…

Never stop learning

Never stop trying new things

Remember to laugh when you fall.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Frank
Drysuit2@blogspot.com
AndreiA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Try Jybe DVD by Dasher Reply with quote

I found the DVD Jybe by Dasher quite helpful. He gives some tips others don't. But I also agree with what said about instruction. If you can spare some $$ - join Guy Cribb clinic in Texas next spring!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I've watched the Cribby and Jem Hall DVD's over and over and my sailing spot is a very short reach so I've had plenty of practice blowing my jibes.

I know a few guys who can learn difficult things like the jibe from watching videos, but they are definitely the exception. Most windsurfers will learn a lot faster with good instruction. Private lessons are nice, but multi-day camps with ABK or Guy Cribb are much better, because you will not only work on the jibe, but also on other skills that really help with jibe success.

Once you have a good idea about what you should be doing, and have done a few decent jibes, then you can go the "double video" approach. Look at the instructions videos - my favorite it Dasher's 12-step jibe, but other videos are great, too. Then, get a GoPro and a Clew-View mount and film yourself while jibing. Look at the videos when you get home, and try to identify what you are doing wrong. You may find that you often make the same mistake, and/or that you are not doing something you think you are doing. For example, I caught myself forgetting to move the front hand before the flip (what Guy Cribb calls the "boom shaka"); saw that my back foot was pointing not nearly as far forward as I thought it was; and that I did not bend my knees in the jibe.

Once you found one or more things to improve upon, focus on just one thing at a time for a session or two, until that works really well. I found that doing the boom shaka made a huge difference in my success rate. I still have other things like oversheeting in chop that I really need to work at.

If you have a decent success rate in tacking, though, then it may not be a bad idea to limit your jibe tries until you can get some decent instruction. Otherwise, you may end up developing bad habits that can be very hard to unlearn later.
drysuit2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="boardsurfr"]
beaglebuddy wrote:
...multi-day camps with ... are much better, because you will not only work on the jibe, but also on other skills that really help with jibe success.

,,, then you can go the "double video" approach. Look at the instructions videos -... Then, ... and film yourself while jibing. ...y end up developing bad habits that can be very hard to unlearn later.

Also great advice. IMHO most jibes are blown well before you think you are jibing. It is usually due to fundamentals, or bad habits you have picked up over the years.

And watching yourself on video is not only enlightening; but a fantastic learning tool.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on this little island of Kauai where there are no windsurfing schools or instructors.
I do know of a guy who gives kiting lessons and he's a great windsurfer so maybe he can give a lesson, or I can fly to Maui.
When I sailed the other day I tried the tack the one good thing was when I fell for whatever reason the mast fell on the right side LOL
Funny, i wanted to talk about tacking but everyone only wants to give jibing advise!
I'll start another post about the jibe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: