myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bellingham Bay WS'ing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Bellingham Bay WS'ing? Reply with quote

Will be there soon for wife's weaving conference. Van includes large gear (144L/7.6sail). Anyone ever sail there? Launch spots near the University? My assumption is that it's highly unlikely, but thought I'd ask.
Thanks, David
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring the gear!

I have never sailed north of the Gorge but Bellingham should be do-able in the right conditions. A fair amount of kiting occurs around there, so as long as you find a proper launch, it should be possible. Tide could be an issue.

BC region on iWindsurf is here:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=133&snapShotBar=snapShot

Locust Beach and Bellingham Airport stations are both visible on this map. (Screen shot attached.)

The Locust Beach station page is here:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=133&siteID=3448

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 9.36.38 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  317.53 KB
 Viewed:  22823 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 9.36.38 AM.png

windsrf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details!

I'm at Stevenson already, so gear is brought.

Cheers, David
rowenaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Bellingham years ago and most windsurfers launched just up the street from what used to be Washington Wind Sports. See from the attached Yelp map link, go across the tracks to launch in the bay. There was also "Glass Beach", but you would need to ask locals how to get there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/washington-wind-sports-inc-bellingham

It's been over a decade since I windsurfed there, so the launch may/may not be accessible anymore --- though plenty of water to find another. Check tide tables for incoming. Winds on B'ham bay were driven by fronts, so without the weather - not much WSing (good for kiting though).
brettn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is alive and thriving in Bellingham. There are two of us!! Andreas and I. More if you count people who get out on the bay less than 10 times a year.

In the summer your big-gear combo will work, but have a weed fin with at least a 45-degree angle on it. With some luck, you'll get 18+ at the south end of the bay, which blows a brisk thermal on sunny days, especially the first 3 days after it's been cloudy. My 6.0/109-liter freestyle gear works on those systems. Sometimes even my 5.3 sees daylight.

Feel free to text me when you're in town. 360-920-6919.
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good info and encouragement - thanks!

I'll try to connect with Brettn upon arrival.

David
lorenkittel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storm winds clock to from the west, so, going North along the shore: Post Point (walk the tracks S from Boulevard Park). Boulevard Park (grassy rig area, but wind shadow then headwind. go here later in the storm). The Cement Plant riprap (almost always straight on-shore, but nice fetch). Locust Street (delta from Nooksack river, shallow, sandy beach--looks promising). Sandy Point (large lagoon, weed fin, good wind angle). Birch Bay (warm water on flood tide, light wind). n. Birch point (off-shore, swirly--don't bother). Drayton Harbor (3x, rigged too small each time).

i've sailed Swell on a 3.7, 3.2, 3.2 day, but the biggest winds i've been in were in Bellingham Bay (overpowered on 3.7, and had a 3.7 ripped out of my hands--too big and way, way too big.)

summer has a nice, light thermal on sunny days, and there is a nice local community. the water is cold, and there is at least one coast guard rescue i know about.

s. Lake Whatcom gets nice frontal winds, but lighter.
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Locals,

I've now checked out the scene, including Marine Park (which I believe Rowenaman was referring to?) and the boardshop right near there which is now exclusively a skateboard shop, then over to Bellingham Kite shop on north side of town where about all the guy could do for me was try to recruit me to kiting (!) albeit in a very nice/welcoming way, then over to the kiting beach area near the NWKA clubhouse on Locust. Also walked over to Boulevard Park from where we are staying.

The Marine Park looks great for rigging and launching, but need more than the 0-5mph winds now blowing.

Until I see at least one whitecap I'll probably just Jones. Had four good to great days at Stevenson/Gorge, so not that anxious to just get wet and slog.

Thanks for all the tips and welcome in any case!

David
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a windsurfing 'destination'.

You should have been here yesterday. We had 30 knots and an 8-foot southern hemi groundswell peeling all the way down the reef.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: