myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Shark 150 HRS (2012) vs JP xcite ride 146L ES 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Fanatic Shark 150 HRS (2012) vs JP xcite ride 146L ES 2013 Reply with quote

Trying to decide between these two boards. Price is pretty similar. I am transitioning from an old old board (1988 fanatic club) to a modern short board. I will be sailing on man made lakes in the midwest. I weigh 175lbs. I can plane in the harness and footstraps, but cannot jibe or waterstart. Looking for a funride intermediate board. I wasn't sure if anyone has any knowledge of these two boards and if there is any thing significant that separates the two. There is also a fanatic Shark 145 HRS (2009) in the classifieds. Any input is appreciated!! thanks.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fanatic Shark 150 HRS (2012) vs JP xcite ride 146L ES 2013 Reply with quote

SS77 wrote:
Trying to decide between these two boards. Price is pretty similar. I am transitioning from an old old board (1988 fanatic club) to a modern short board. I will be sailing on man made lakes in the midwest. I weigh 175lbs. I can plane in the harness and footstraps, but cannot jibe or waterstart. Looking for a funride intermediate board. I wasn't sure if anyone has any knowledge of these two boards and if there is any thing significant that separates the two. There is also a fanatic Shark 145 HRS (2009) in the classifieds. Any input is appreciated!! thanks.

What about a 145l Tabou Rocket if you could get your hands on one?

I only have experience with the older Sharks (2009 130L) and I did like it for when I was learning to gybe and water start. One of the locals who had an xcite ride who tried out the rocket said they were both very similar. In the end I think you can't go wrong with either (or that 2009 145L on the classifieds)

-Kevin
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be checking out the 2009 one in the classified ads....even with shipping costs added in, you could save over $1100. Make sure that it hasn't been damaged. What is the dark marks on the fin box area?

KMF
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can't go wrong with either one. Both are in the same category and have similar dimensions which make them great transitional and later-light wind boards. In theory, but just in theory based on the dimensions only, the JP may have slightly better overall performance and the Fanatic slightly better top speed and earlier planing but suffer control issues sooner. I doubt a field test will be able to confirm that. I can't even decide wich one I like more -based on looks alone Smile . So let your inner voice decide and go for it!
BTW I went the same route like you, /wich I consider to be the smoothest one/ and I feel obliged to give you some advice and warnings for "the road ahead". First :I strongly recommend you getting a board bag and a foam board nose protector - coming from an old board you don't have the habits of caring for a significantly lighter and significantly more fragile short board /your choice of the heavier but sturdier and cheaper construction is a good one!/, espatialy out of the water. Second :don't expect any planing below 10 mph of wind and without a big sail /9.0 for your weight below 15 mph/, I started having fun on my Bic Core 160 only when I got a 7.5 sail - with a 6.5 it was only frustration /I'm of a similar weight like you/. Third :you'll start planing and even gybing and tacking crudely on those boards , but don't expect any glamourous carve gybes or jumps etc from them, you might even not be able to learn waterstarting / I learned it only when I got my 93lt one/.
Also keep in mind that you'll start looking for a smaller board sooner then you think-so plan your sails and other hardware accordingly, but keep it simple, avoid specialized things and go for the fun stuff instead. Good luck!
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic is much easier to jibe, can handle more chop and higher wind.
JP is livelier, plane up slightly earlier, is more bouncy, goes faster with less sail power.
Basically, Sharks are big boards that work a huge range of conditions.
JP is more like a tuned light to medium wind, and light to M chop, type of board that responds quicker and crisper.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, can't go wrong with either one, but my vote would be for the Fanatic. Fanatic makes well-balanced boards that are easy to ride and have a broad range of use.

Maybe get the 2009 one from the classifieds so you have some $$ left over for rig upgrades. If you've been on a 1988 board, I imagine your masts, booms, and sails have some room for improvement, too. Smile

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What is the dark marks on the fin box area?"

It's simply a shadow from I can see. You can see the shadow area on the ground on either side of the board, although it looks a bit different because the angle and position of the board.

The Fanatic Shark 145 looks like a great deal.
SS77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the great input from everyone!! I really appreciate it. It is a tremendous help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: