myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big Oil and citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
How many of the 11 million have "a well documented history of work and residency" with their real name?

The sudden outflow of migrant workers from the nearby orchards when ICE comes knocking -- by their own admission -- backs your suspicion.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:

The sudden outflow of migrant workers.......

Happy Father's Day, Mikey. Wink
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look around your neighborhood....what do you see? The mom and pop hardware store? the local grocer? A specialty sporting goods shop? I THINK NOT. We have been big boxed to death!!! And the two things that keep this going are cheap imported goods and cheap labor. If you think Haley Barbour , who makes $5,000,000 a year to lobby his buddies in Congress, is going to let the flow of cheap labor slow down , you dont know him. Haley just said, there is no way an American is going to spend the day in the filth and blood and guts of a chicken processing plant.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
If you think Haley Barbour , who makes $5,000,000 a year to lobby his buddies in Congress, is going to let the flow of cheap labor slow down , you dont know him. Haley just said, there is no way an American is going to spend the day in the filth and blood and guts of a chicken processing plant.

Why not? Mr. Barbour, for that $5M, spends the day in the filth and blood and guts of politics and the lobbying industry. He's happy to put up with such disgusting, revolting employment for that level of compensation.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we forget, it was saint Ronnie Reagan (or perhaps his wife's astrologist) who was responsible for the last immigration reform, which guaranteed a flow of cheap labor for union busting, particularly in the fields.

The issue of immigration is complicated, and doesn't lend itself to easy solutions that fit either the left wing or right wing narrative. But what really offends me is the Obama bashing from the right. Obama is resented by the left because his administration has deported more of those here without papers than previous administrations. Most of the right wing narrative stems, it seems to me, from cultural resentment and fear, naked political calculation (appealing to the base and fearing non-white voters who, for some reason don't support the GOP), and Obama-hate.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Most of the right wing narrative stems, it seems to me, from cultural resentment and fear, naked political calculation (appealing to the base and fearing non-white voters who, for some reason don't support the GOP), and Obama-hate.

How carefully we tiptoe around the "R" word. (And I don't mean Rightie or Republican.)

But that's really it, in a nutshell. Confused
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno--you couldn't be referring to folks that are mightily offended by the use of the term "batshit crazy", but find no offense in the terms "illegal alien" or "Obama phones"? We have one such folk here. I hear he drinks DDT instead of coffee in the morning, and does one-armed push-ups like all real men.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Pueno--you couldn't be referring to folks that are mightily offended by the use of the term "batshit crazy", but find no offense in the terms "illegal alien" or "Obama phones"? We have one such folk here. I hear he drinks DDT instead of coffee in the morning, and does one-armed push-ups like all real men.

Batshit crazy......... Is that the same as "Guano Goofy"?

But, no, I was referring to a specific physiological aspect of our current president that you might lump into the category of "cultural resentment and fear" and is related to optical density.

That's all these guano guys are saying without actually saying it.

The south and the rabid righties are really incensed by that aspect of our (so they claim) Kenyan president.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Take a look around your neighborhood....what do you see? The mom and pop hardware store? the local grocer? A specialty sporting goods shop? I THINK NOT. We have been big boxed to death!!! And the two things that keep this going are cheap imported goods and cheap labor. If you think Haley Barbour , who makes $5,000,000 a year to lobby his buddies in Congress, is going to let the flow of cheap labor slow down , you dont know him. Haley just said, there is no way an American is going to spend the day in the filth and blood and guts of a chicken processing plant.

Kick their asses off welfare and they will.... Sad However you are completely correct that small businesses are dying. I think you will find plenty on the right and left that agree on that. Eisenhower would be at war with the U.S. as it stands today. Crony capitalism, lobbyists, $100 million African vacation, and the war drums in Syria are beating. WTF? All the money printing has made me feel better, but hasn't created any jobs.

BTW, Frisco was disappointing. Sad One day of sailing at SI and no baby dropped yet. Will be up soon. And, one of my nephews was drafted (MLB) by the Giants, and another one drafted by Arizona. The smart one turned SF down, and the other one just hit his 1st proffesional baseball homerun! My son and I toured Giant stadium. It was fun, and one of the nicest stadiums on the planet.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to your nephews.
Though I agree with your take on the Grand Old Party not being so grand anymore, you don't have to go back to Eisenhower. Bob Dole recently said he and Reagan wouldn't be welcome in the present GOP either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 16 of 81

Jump to: