myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incompetent Kiter-1; Anita Rock Wind Sensor-0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchang10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://plus.google.com/photos/115483447771222482504/albums/5889871752733861233?authkey=CJ6U14TMgoCNvgE

Here is a link to some i took today. I emailed you the originals as well.

Thanks!
Jae
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The kiter should have to pay for the sensor repair! Reply with quote

pshaw wrote:

I, for one, have pretty much had it with the hot shots. They should not be launching/landing in the east end of the beach and should not be launching/landing over the civilians whereever they are located.

Can't agree more: the kites should not be allowed to lunch from the area east of the lagoon "river" mouth. That is, they should only lunch west of that area. Easy solution, with no consequence for the kites, that would decrease the risk of collision on the water and damage to beach-goers enormously.

By the way: I have not sailed Crissy much this year, wind has been much better at Coyote/Stick, but not counting the times when most Kites were not out because it was too windy, I witnessed 1 Coast Guard rescue (the kiter lost his kite and was floating merrily in the middle of nowhere during ebb-tide) and another one sort of dragging himself to shore after having lost his board. The fact is: accidents with Kites are very frequent events ...

Last edited by dvCali on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchang10 wrote:
https://plus.google.com/photos/115483447771222482504/albums/5889871752733861233?authkey=CJ6U14TMgoCNvgE

Here is a link to some i took today. I emailed you the originals as well.

Thanks!
Jae

Hi Jae,

Thanks for the fast work and great photos. I have forwarded them to the Boston office and they will start the repair process .

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

Anita Rock2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.7 KB
 Viewed:  15858 Time(s)

Anita Rock2.jpg

WineCo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with abisailf and PShaw's comment about enforcing the kite launch at the Western part of Crissy beach.

Everyone visiting from other sailing areas around the world, are always surprised that there are no restrictions on kite boarding at Crissy Field yet.

Didn't this just happen to the Anita Rock Sensor a few months back?
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted you all to see how this is being assessed on the BAk forum.

http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12110
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is how this is handled at south padre island:

http://www.spiwindsurfing.com/safety.html

the whole thing is self-policed but everyone knows and does a good job following the rules. wind changes direction there so can be on, off, or side-shore.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and I were sailing back to the beach at Crissy earlier this year, and a kite racer was on his way out... we were obviously on a collision course, but I've been around enough Formula racers and kite racers to know that sometimes they don't have the most mobility to change course when lit up on their sail/kite, so I was happy to give way... of course that was until he started screaming "STARBOARD" at me... yes, I was aware that my friend and I were on starboard and that we had the right of way Rolling Eyes

Seriously, WTF? Do some of these guys even know port from starboard? It just seems like a total cluster*^& out there sometimes. I've been on the wrong side of right of way before and done dumb sh!t either because I wasn't paying close enough attention or had bad judgement of space, so I was able to let it go... the guy is amiable, but he has a reputation for being out of control.... other kiters are scared of him too. One of peers needs to have a heart to heart with him before he kills somebody.

Best thing is to sail defensively and give them a wide berth.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super windy day today at Crissy and not too many people around. Hmm......
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
Just wanted you all to see how this is being assessed on the BAk forum.
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12110

Thanks: I found the conversation there pretty level-headed.

Anyway, I agree that anybody breaking anything owned by anyone else carries (at the very least!) some financial liability, but not that there should be ANOTHER token when government agencies intervene to rescue somebody: there's already one we all pay, it's called TAXES. Without turning this in a political discussion, I frankly see my taxpayer dollars rather spent like that than for many other tasks our government (local, regional and national) fulfills.
They will know how to "punish" repeating offenders, typically impounding their gear.

Kiters always made me nervous, but not as much as jet-skis did (fast, heavy and with no brakes), or even racing catamarans (even just training).
For once, today I sailed between the towers a bit overpowered for an hour, with the company of a lonely kiter and half a dozen huge motorcrafts.
I considered the kiter my only alley...
victor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally, a couple of level headed posts regarding the subject from kevin and bipbip who don't mind sharing the bay.

i was rescued once when I didn't want to be. i was becalmed within 60' of the jetty at travis marina. the coasties came up and said get in. i said no thanks and they said they had to pull me out for liability reasons and i was actually a navigational hazard.

i asked about charges and they said not to worry, this is what they do. i have to say they are very good at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: