myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Giving up jibing, for now
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Giving up jibing, for now Reply with quote

I'm an intermediate at best, planing in the footstraps now. When I was underpowered jibes weren't a problem but now at higher speeds jibes are probably 90% unsuccessful and the mast always falls on the wrong side so it's exhausting continuously swimming the rig around to waterstart.
I can tack with a high completion rate going one direction so I'm considering just sticking with the tack for now and deal with the carve jibe later. I'll get more sailing than flailing in and at least I'll stay upwind. Maybe I can learn a planing tack.
How does this strategy sound?
I'm 100KG and my boards are an Exocet windsup and a 2002 SB free formula 198L, two boards that probably don't jibe well, although when the wind/sail is just right I can plane and reliably make a stomp jibe on the windsup.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you might be flipping the sail way too late.

Coachg
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there, jibing is very difficult because it requires both advanced board steering and sail handling skills.

I would still try them once in a while and especially when you spot smooth waters ahead of you. Flat waters will increase your chances because you won't have to work so hard to balance on the board and can concentrate more on sail handling.

Maybe, you can back up that rear hand a little to depower the sail and make the transition a little easier. Try them when you really feel comfortable and not so tired.

I often get frustrated with the sport but it's what motivates me to get better and work harder. It's so rewarding when everything works out just right!
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be fun.

Just have fun.

westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a foolproof jibe that never fails. Same as you would do on a longboard in light wind. You tip the mast back at the critical point and that brings the nose around, you sail out of the turn clew first, planing or not, then flip the sail when you can.

You keep wind in the sail all the time so you have something to hang on to and control the board. I think the trick is tilting the mast to the stern and that will bring the nose of the board around through the stall zone. YMMV good luck.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Sounds like you might be flipping the sail way too late.

Coachg

I agree or maybe when he is doing the shaka or grabbing the mast he isn't letting his arm be straight? (pulling the mast the windward?)

-Kevin
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jibing is way overrated. Just fall in an waterstart going the other way.

I have been sailing ninety years and still can't jibe.

What are you looking at?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to sheet in until its time to flip the sail, otherwise the board gets out of control in higher speeds. One tip that tremendously helped me to stay sheeted in after unhooking during the entry stage was to look back at the boards wake . It's cool feeling and helps with the sheeting in. After that its easier to work on the next stages and later you won't even need to do it anymore. Giving up is the easiest thing to do , try this tip first.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH forgot to say the only thing, well two things, that helped me learn how to plane thru my gybes was to shoot downward and enter the gybe fast (basically outrunning the wind I guess) AND not leaning back but forward into the carve. Also I flipped the sail when it starting pulling on my back hand pretty hard (Ok maybe three things)

-Kevin
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and the advise.
I know my jibe is all messed up, I've watched the Cribby and Jem Hall DVD's over and over and my sailing spot is a very short reach so I've had plenty of practice blowing my jibes. I'm a bit burnt out on it.
The thing is I didn't want to make the post about how to jibe but more about tacking and the wisdom of giving up on the jibe for a while and working on the tack which seems to be a lot easier.
If one is completely proficient I suppose a tack is a bit more work running around the front of the board and all. What's everyone's opinion on tacking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: