myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SUP for light wind wave sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeppy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was researching light wind wave boards I was also seriously considering the Fanatic AllWave SUP (which has a mast base insert). As you know, I decided to go with the Quatro Quad 110, but you might want to take a look at the AllWave--looks like it could fit nicely into your current quiver. http://www.fanatic-sup.com/content/products/sup/allwave/index_eng.html#.UbE7KZz4L-s
eghoffman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - I'm intrigued to hear if anyone's tried any of the Surf Pro models. Sounds like they could be fun. It looks like both the 7'8" and 8'2" Wide Points are windsurfable, too. I like just having one board to bring to the beach, but I'm afraid that the smaller SUPs might be a bit difficult to surf.

John - I think we can agree that we all have different tastes, which may have something to do with the conditions that we each sail in. Where I sail (San Diego), we have fun, typically small waves and almost never have any notable wind. I typically go out in side-on winds of less than 10 knots. I've given up on the idea of planing, so I go out on a 5.8 Super Freak, which is really easy to luff and sit back and wait for waves to drop into. I know that you're more into bigger sails and going faster, but it's not a very good option where I am. I'm pretty happy to just go slow and ride that waves more like a surfer than a windsurfer, which seems like a better option for the conditions that I sail in.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman wrote:
John - I think we can agree that we all have different tastes, which may have something to do with the conditions that we each sail in. Where I sail (San Diego), we have fun, typically small waves and almost never have any notable wind. I typically go out in side-on winds of less than 10 knots. I've given up on the idea of planing, so I go out on a 5.8 Super Freak, which is really easy to luff and sit back and wait for waves to drop into. I know that you're more into bigger sails and going faster, but it's not a very good option where I am. I'm pretty happy to just go slow and ride that waves more like a surfer than a windsurfer, which seems like a better option for the conditions that I sail in.

Agreed, I think you and I have similar goals, though I have more wind to play with. My goal is to head to the beach with one windsurf board and one SUP. If it is 15 mph I sail the windsurf board, 10 mph-14 mph I sail the SUP, <10 mph I SUP.

I've found the windsurf board - Quattro Quad 110 L - lots of volume for slogging and climbing white water with almost no wind in the sail, but on a wave rips even better than my old 90 L Evo single fin.

No luck on the SUP yet. I have the RRD Wassup 8'5, but I think my SUP surfing skill level has caught up to the point where I want a smaller / higher performance SUP.

I can totally see why folks like John find the Exocet Curve or WindSUP perfect. I have thought long and hard about getting one, but decided a high performance SUP and a high performance high volume quad just suit Leo / County Line conditions better. If I lived closer to C-Street / Ventura I would definitely buy an Exocet Curve as it would be perfect there.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tides, swell, sand bars, currents, wind directions, they all vary lots in most places far more than in trade winds spots. to apply trade winds mentality onto temperate zones, buyer beware. if my words are concise, it's because i've been debating this issue forever. there are lots of convenience issues with going smaller than 10' but it's all about on the water performance for a very few, i guess?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underpowered, small sails, big boards, it's like beginner sailing just in the waves instead of flat water.
I'll assume people are uphauling? Does a lightweight carbon boom help much?
Do people have trouble staying upwind? Does a larger surfing style fin help? Daggerboard anyone?
Currently I'm using larger sails on my Exocet windsup to plane but I will be trying this out with a much smaller sail.
If you have footstraps on your SUP are you ever able to get into them?
Harness?
Lene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test Test
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010 Starboard Converse 9'/30"; tri fin 26 cm central; added mast track; Revo 5.0-wind offshore 0-10mph. Having lots of fun, just fooling around with a cowboy hat on, doing crazy moves and entertaining the beach crowd tremendously,upwind was fine once there was any wind in the sail. Haven't tried it in waves yet with the sail, but I'm sure it will be ok.

image.jpg
 Description:
My latest move: the Winsurfing Tebow :)
 Filesize:  93.15 KB
 Viewed:  17742 Time(s)

image.jpg

btbill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Underpowered, small sails, big boards, it's like beginner sailing just in the waves instead of flat water.
I'll assume people are uphauling? Does a lightweight carbon boom help much?
Do people have trouble staying upwind? Does a larger surfing style fin help? Daggerboard anyone?
Currently I'm using larger sails on my Exocet windsup to plane but I will be trying this out with a much smaller sail.
If you have footstraps on your SUP are you ever able to get into them?
Harness?

Yes to all.
- Underpowered, of course!
- Uphauling, definitely!
- Carbon boom, likely, but smaller sail helps most.
- Upwind, no problem.
- Daggerboard, no way!
- Footstraps, unnecessary
- Harness, nope though sometimes if there is some sail power (prefer waist model)

Basically, light air wavesailing is a completely different windsurfing mindset from riding a standard kit. Best thing too is that when you drop the idea of trying to windsurf like you normally do, and adopt this new approach, it opens many, many more "sailable" days! Simply rig minimally for ease of uphaul/control, slap on some sunscreen, launch and have fun! Very Happy

Beginner sailing... well yes it is, in a way, as its completely different from the normal thought process of requiring windy weather to take a windsurfer into the water, and especially waves. I always equate it to surfing without the need to prone paddle, or stand up paddle. Rather, the sail does the work and you move basically as fast as a prone surfer or SUP, though can catch just as many if not more waves!
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call it: LIBERATING ! It brings back the joy of old days windsurfing in a modern, sexy package Wink

image.jpg
 Description:
The FUN stuff !
 Filesize:  1.93 MB
 Viewed:  17643 Time(s)

image.jpg

Lene

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test Post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: