myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thought I'd bring this to your attention...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Thought I'd bring this to your attention... Reply with quote

It may be a conversation for less windy days, but why don't we discuss it briefly when we feel strongest about it?
From another thread (but the same tune heard on any beach):
Quote:
Okay I know our sport is greatly diminishing in numbers (okay, dying)...

Personally, I think we are at the top of a trend, or even slightly passed it, which will probably slow down, and eventually maybe even reverse.

I remember very clearly when , in the late 80s early 90s, skiing first and roadbiking second were supposed to be doomed by the explosive growth of snowboarding and MBKing. I don't know if you guys have seen the latest trends on those disciplines... (and I'm both a snow and dirt rider).

I came across this magazine ad (below). I would have to think back 15 years to remember a commercial that was (indirectly) displaying a sailboard to get a cool/positive/ trendy subliminal association with the product advertised (and unrelated to the quite catchy punch-line).

Is it maybe -just maybe- that while Kiteboarding is definitely easier to learn, and even train on ground, its limitations (lack of flotation, etc... you name it), are offsetting its clear advantages? Maybe being at the Olympics is not that cool after all (didn't do much for WSing, IMHO).

Wasn't the old paradigm difficult->radical conditions->limited access->greater "cool" and "wanna do it" factor? What I think WS lacks is a greater commitment to get "kids" (up to 25) on a sailboard; to hitting the water together, racing with each other (for fun!), try tricks together (the ones that do it, mainly couples, seem to have great fun at it), be and stay in the pack (on the beach also, but mainly on the water!). Kiters do that -maybe because of a higher safety concern- and they seem to enjoy the community feeling, we do it less (some folks will barely say hi, even if they've seen you parking in the same spot for the last 10 years)... but that's maybe for another thread.

Mini WS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.02 KB
 Viewed:  16587 Time(s)

Mini WS.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Cool in other advertisements Reply with quote

Check out some of the Philip Koster advertisements for Volkswagen like this one:

http://www.wwwindsurfing.com/latest-news/philip-koster-in-new-vw-commercial/
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but i think what's going on is that the Mini's ad-folk wanted to project a certain vibe - clean, adrenline, action, outdoor, etc, and a kite board, with the exception of a few race boards, look like a wake board, or a snow board, which doesn't like much sitting on top of a car and doesn't have the mass nor the pointy nose, and color.

The VW ad was very cool because it tapped into the rivalry between these two sports that most of the public don't even know how they differ. VW ads are the only ads I stop the TiVo to watch.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative post. Provocative and enlightening.
Unlike my other pastime surfing; I live in Pacifica. Windsurfing means no crowds, high speed thrills and wide open spaces and endless reaches Coyote, Embassy etc...... Thanks for a great and unique perspective.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Check out some of the Philip Koster advertisements

Awesome and fun!
But that's a German ad... WS is (was?) second only to soccer there! In the Summer months maybe even first.
"Robby" in the 80's/early 90's had Messiah-status there! For mainstream USA he was just another dude...
Laughing

tomg wrote:
VW ads are the only ads I stop the TiVo to watch.

...ok, ok, my bad: I don't watch TiVo or TV, hence I have to rely on magazines (for work) and the Internet (mainly YouTube) for my exposure to mainstream commercial promotion.
I get it that you could play the rivalry angle between the two disciplines, which do differ, even if both need (in relation to what I was saying above) the correspondent of wheels and snow: no board, wind and water and nothing goes.
Anyway, we agree that a board and a sail is ("still"?) synonym of clean, adrenaline fueled, outdoor action.

But, aside of the ad, which was mainly meant to be thought provoking, what would you say about the concept that fewer practitioners doesn't necessarily mean a discipline is dying? A discipline dies, IMHO, when the core practitioners, both amateurs and professionals, stop exuding a level of stoke strong enough to entice new practitioners.
This does not seem to be the case ("yet" or "at all") with WS; neither at regional (http://vimeo.com/68027574) nor at global (http://vimeo.com/45361052#) level.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope. See my post re; Sherman Sunday-a truly Epic day. But if I buy a Mini where do I put my 3 boards and 8 sails?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Cool in other advertisements Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Check out some of the Philip Koster advertisements for Volkswagen like this one:

http://www.wwwindsurfing.com/latest-news/philip-koster-in-new-vw-commercial/

That used to happen to me in the 80's too.... Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf9ZEnTMnAg This kind of wave riding should inspire the youth. Notice the kiter. Rolling Eyes
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Cool in other advertisements Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

That used to happen to me in the 80's too.... Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf9ZEnTMnAg This kind of wave riding should inspire the youth. Notice the kiter. Rolling Eyes

Wow, great clip, thanks for sharing, Jason always inspires, my brother was his room mate back in the early 90's on Maui, super nice guy.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
But if I buy a Mini where do I put my 3 boards and 8 sails?

Ha! True, but that may be part of the problem.
I would argue that in the Bay Area (unless one's racing), you can leave home, depending on forecast and sailing location, with two boards and three (spaced out) sails, honing your technique to make them work. If you go always to the same location, one board depending on the tide.

Not yet Thommen's idea of one-man-one board (http://www.thommen1.com/Thommen01.htm), but better than the 154(!) boards in the Starboard range! (http://hitthewave.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/windsurfing-companies-2013-impressively-extensive-boards-range/) .

That Backyard video is insane...
How about this? http://vimeo.com/64369975
Just "regular" locals.
Wink
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy in the bay area that puts everything INSIDE his Mini :
1 board and 2 sails, plus mast and boom.
and it's a standard Mini, not the big one pictured above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: