myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SUP for light wind wave sailing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blockidog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: SUP for light wind wave sailing Reply with quote

I am considering a SUP for light wind wave sailing in New England - primarily North MA and RI.

I am an advanced ws and SUP'r, decent wave sailor: wt- 165#'s and 5'10".

I currently ride Ezzy Panthers 4.2, 4.7, 5.2 and 6.0. I recently acquired 2 used Quatro Quads in 85/95L.

I SUP on an Coreban 8.0 VIBE which I am selling because I find it too floaty at 129L's.

Ideally looking for a Sup that can schlog and still be lively on the wave so, stiff and light if possible.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations/perspective.
-j
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like the AHD SeaLion which is 7' 6" Fishtail. Similar displacement to your VIBE.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.0 / 129 liters and it's too floaty? Weird.

Have you seen this guy's blog?

http://ncpaddlesurfer.blogspot.com/2013/02/for-sale-my-personal-78-original.html

He seems to have some cool looking fast-rockered SUP boards in the 7'x size range, and he makes windsurfable ones, too.

blockidog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
8.0 / 129 liters and it's too floaty? Weird.

hey James - to clarify, the Vibe is too big for surfing and it is not "wind-SUP-able". I would assume I would want at least 120L for light wind sailing with a wind SUP.

Thx.
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely recommend Sealion. Lightweight, excellent performance and closest ride to a standard kit, especially for more aggressive wavesailing in 10 mph wind. Once on the swell/wave the board really turns on!
Just posted here regarding a recent demo in Hatteras this past Sunday (more pics!)

lightweight!

performance!

d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealion at Nahant could be pretty awesome. I don't know if it has ever been tried there before so I'd be curious how it works on that gentle wave.
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the ultimate where I would love to try it out would be San Carlos, MX. Super long soft DTL wave and side off wind. Late morning on the Sealion, then afternoon on the standard kit once the wind fills in!

KT should stock a few for some "performance" light air wave action!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

side off, slow wave app's the sea lion is good. that's with an aggressively small sail. if the wind is primarily side on, must go with a larger sail and board. been there, done that all too often.

windSUP 11'8 been out in some pretty harrowing conditions with my 7.5 phantom. 0-20 mph really onshore to sick side off. caught zillions of waves.

curve 11'5" similar to 11'8" needs 4 to 22

curve 10'5" similar to above, needs 8 to 30

sea lion needs 8 to 14 side off only. put a big sail on it and start planing? out of control. fast waves? skitter down the face with not rail attachment.

surf board SUP's 4-10 mph side off only. slow as pig slop, not able to milk a back side wave to get upwind after sailing all of the above, simply frustrating.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with side-on limitations of the Sealion. If you sail at a spot which primarily hosts side-on light wind days, the Sealion is not the call. Side to side-off shore though, and the Sealion is a top choice out there for aggressive wavesailing in light air which brings performance close to a standard kit while riding waves in light wind.

Luckily here on the OBX we have side-off somewhere no matter the wind direction with the angle of the islands, and our primary SW summer thermal (10-15 mph) direction provides all side to side off days on our east facing beaches. Rig up a 5.0m - 4.5m and rip it up!

Of note too, the Sealion is not meant to plane, except for when on the wave (where is really turns on). However, if you start planing on a sealion while heading out or coming into the wave zone (other than by swell power), then its usually time to come into the beach and swap the sealion for the standard strapped board.

Overall though, it boils down to your local conditions and frequency of side to side off light wind and/or where it can be found in your area (note, not necessarily based on prime directions for strong wind, but rather what the wind is usually like when surfers are out in the water, or kids are flying kites on the beach).

PS: also a really nice bonus for the sealion is ease of access and exit to/from the water via the head carry which is possible by its size and light weight. If there is shore break, this option is really nice!
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note, for original post questions, if interested in the Sealion, based on your info noted in the post, likely the Sealion Pro would be your right choice.

I ride the Pro and really enjoy the ride. As an expert level standard wavesailor, the Sealion Pro offers the closest match for aggressive DTL waveriding which approaches performance found riding my standard kit.

Definitely the best choice I made back when I started riding the Lion in 2010 to allow summer wave rides when in the past, I would need to paddle out to catch it. Much more fun with a sail in hand!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: