myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line length, is 22 in. too short?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say "one size fits all." I said longer is better.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I thought the topic was windsurfing. Laughing
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: sold on longer lines-end of discussion that I started Reply with quote

Ok, sitting over here in Maui where I have been on a 4.2 and 82 liter board for days with no end in sight....and a nice small unexpected swell coming to the north shore the next couple days.

I went from 22 to 26 in lines the minute I got here, and now can't figure out why I didn't do this earlier. I had been sailing for years with 22 in. lines and a waist harness!! Will head to 28 in. today, which I think will be about right for me. Definitely keeps me 'using' my harness lines, and sailing is a bit more stable all around...likely better mast pressure etc.

BTW, I stopped at Hookipa yesterday and I don't think I saw anything shorter than about 30 in!!

cheers,
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the the Gorge's top instructors (Heidi), reportedly had an extended, heated, and unresolved debate with Matt over optimal harness line length, particularly at different venues such as the Gorge vs Maui. Their primary agreement was to continue disagreeing.

That works for me, as it lets me choose 24s for myself without feeling guilty about what actually works best for me.
hchapp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Isobar! Heidi here. Actually, I'm with Matt on harness line length. But don't feel guilty about doing what works for you! Have fun out there!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Heidi! Glad to hear the real story from the horse's (no offense!) mouth, even it it shoots down my report from a guy who listened to the debate.

I was joking about the guilt thing anyway; I'm always open to better solutions and more options. Now if my arms would just grow longer ...

Mike \m/
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what Bruce would say about long harness lines.

Check out how much more his arms are bent with shorter lines and a seat harness compared to Tyson with longer lines and a waist harness.
Obviously these guys are on totally different gear with different styles (but in the same conditions) and both are among the best at their respective disciplines.
Common sense should say longer lines with the seat harness, but the opposite seems to work for both of them.

I just need to find a shot of Tyson on his race gear for a better comparison.

brothers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  454.79 KB
 Viewed:  12995 Time(s)

brothers.jpg

bruce.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  476.41 KB
 Viewed:  12995 Time(s)

bruce.jpg

hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this shot Bruce looks like the one with the straighter arms.
He must have lengthened his adjustable lines?
Now I'm getting really confused.

The bend in the elbows seems to have more to do with how much they are bent (forward) at the waist and rotated in the upper body.

nationals.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  303.23 KB
 Viewed:  12989 Time(s)

nationals.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One difference in Bruces's different line length/arm extension in the two shots is the venue and purpose: B&J vs racing ... i.e., USING the swell vs overwhelming it. In the Hatch B&J shots, Tyson will need to unhook to significantly and suddenly change his sheeting angle because his arms are already extended, but Bruce does not because they are not. I don't know about Bruce's motivation, but mine is age and priorities; I'd rather sail for many hours hooked in than cut my day's sailing to just a few hours by unhooking every time I want to jump, or go off a lip, or cut back, or link several hard, high-speed, high-g S turns requiring vastly different sheeting angles every second or three. I can't do that with long lines and extended arms.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 28" lines and like tyson in the above shot, sail with extended arms. I have no problem unhooking when necessary, all I have to do is move my pelvis 3/4" up and the hook drops out. The benefit of the long lines is that the sail is out of my face, and like tyson I have lots of room to move around as I cut off swell, lips and make cut backs. I am in my harness more with the longer lines than I ever was when they were 22 or 24 inches long.
Maybe you guys should try a pair for a week before you pronounce judgment on their benefits and drawbacks. Then you would know what you are talking about instead of just pontificating.

KMF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: