myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Brians Windsurfing moved out of position at Event Site
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nukin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Josh Big Winds didn't move but because they can't legally teach kite lessons they send anyone interested in a kiting to Cascade Kiteboarding so both benefit from the move.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She IS from Florida...

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
steve.gates

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I rarely jump into these forums, the misinformation being posted here compels me to offer some comments in an effort to shed some clarity on this thread. For those not interested in clarity and prefer to deal in the rumor and innuendo, you can stop reading.

For years, Brians Windsurfing and Big Winds have operated side by side at the Event Site and at the Hook. We have been, and continue to be, good friends and cooperative businesses. We both operated at the cruise ship dock by the Event Site together amicably prior to the other kite schools deciding they wanted a presence there, too. When that happened, the Port began allocating spaces to the schools and both Brians and Big Winds space diminished though our locations stayed the same. Until this year.

This past fall, all prospective Port concessionaires were required to submit a proposal for their businesses and their preferred operating location, designating a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. The proposals were scored by a Selection Committee and the spaces were awarded on the basis of those points. Tonia apparently scored higher than Brian and chose the spot he had been in for several years. Brian was moved to another spot. Big Winds had designated our historical location and got it, because no one with a higher score wanted it. Big Winds had no influence on who ended up where.

Was that a fair method of determining space allocation? Personally I didn't think so. I think both Brian and Big Winds should have been "grandfathered in" to the spots we had been in for years. But that was not that process that had been laid out.

Contrary to what "Nukin" (whoever that is...gotta love that anonymity!) says, Big Winds does not have an exclusive arrangement with any of the kite schools. Quite the contrary. We have an excellent relationship with all the kite schools and we spread our referrals around. Frankly, that is none of anyone else's business anyway.

As for the Big Winds owner (that would be me) having influence with the Port, let me just say this:

Live in the same community for 27 years, volunteer in the schools, coach kids sports, participate in civic affairs, operate a respected business for those 27 years, offer comments at public forums in a respectful way without pissing people off and you too will have some influence in your community.

Steve Gates
Big Winds
steve.gates

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bruce.

Last edited by steve.gates on Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailworksman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-Winds wrote:
As for the Big Winds owner (that would be me) having influence with the Port, let me just say this: Live in the same community for 27 years, volunteer in the schools, coach kids sports, participate in civic affairs, operate a respected business for those 27 years, offer comments at public forums in a respectful way without pissing people off and you too will have some influence in your community.

AMEN!
willysurf

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-Winds wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, blah...

Steve Gates
Big Winds

Yes, but what is your plan B when Rhonda comes back to town???
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy,
I think fan support is at an all-time low given the nature of your commentary. From the sounds of it, the axe you are grinding is pretty worn down. Feel free to keep writing posts, but your credibility has dropped to zero. All three major players/shop owners seem to work really hard to maintain excellent businesses and customer service. Sorry you find that so despicable.
willysurf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Wow, you really weren't kidding about being sloooooow.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for jumping in and clarifying. I hadn't gotten around to finding out what the Port's process had been.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We waste enough time here arguing over real issues, large and small. Adding to the load for kicks, especially at the expense of others' time and even implications of their integrity, is about as childish as it gets.

Mike \BFF/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: