myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SW at Coyote launch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watermonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: SW at Coyote launch? Reply with quote

Looking at the sensors (only), I've been avoiding Coyote recently since it appears to be offshore-ish at the launch, despite the channel being nicely NW. Is that what's really occurring out there?
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside at 3rd Ave was suffering from WSW wind at times yesterday. A gusty pattern with wind also shifting directions quite a bit. Seems likely that the inside at Coyote was getting lots of W-WSW.

Hopefully the NW is cleaner everywhere today.....
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSW is kinda typical in spring due to there still is alot of storms in the
Pacific. This month seems like there's been more than the usual shortwaves and upper troughs that come close enough to bring in the SW winds but not enough to rain.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sail Coyote on pre rain storm fronts, SW or even S winds. Just head out to the inside cove where ASD used to be, no biggie. If it switches NW on you, you're already upwind.
If it goes SE and rain, you're just sailing in offshore winds, no biggie, like the stick and R & G.
mtnview

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SW at Coyote launch? Reply with quote

watermonkey wrote:
Looking at the sensors (only), I've been avoiding Coyote recently since it appears to be offshore-ish at the launch, despite the channel being nicely NW. Is that what's really occurring out there?

A lot of times its West outside, past the airplane landing zone. The biggest problem with SW at Coyote is it points you straight into washboard chop on the inside. Once you get outside into the more West direction you can bear off of the chop and it can sometimes be good if its not too crazy (like up and down 20-40, typical in April and May). That said, a lot of Coyote regulars head to TI or Palo Alto when Coyote is SW.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem is that when it shifts SW, the inside can shut down.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and that's why, on SW, you stay inside the little cove between old ASD and the launch...
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
..and that's why, on SW, you stay inside the little cove between old ASD and the launch...

There's not enough wind there or it's really flukey because it's off shore.
During SW shifts, the whole inside can have lulls all the way to the flight path.
Besides there's alot more mud in the cove now, than when you sailed there in the early 1990s.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the '90's, but the mid '80's.
I sailed a pre frontal SW wind, around late August, with my g/f where we planed about 90% of the time, going from normal ote launch to ASD, before ASD was there. Using a 5.0 for me, 4.6 for her, we attracted a crowd of well over 30 sailors, who just watched and wondered. A few wandered out later, after the wind got flukey and we had come in.
I taught a race clinic (with RobHartman) at the ote in the early '00's. Plenty of water to launch and sail inside the cove.
3 years ago, I launched right in front of the old ASD, and planed back to shore there easily. Plenty of water at higher tides, no water at minus tides.
mtnview

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Another problem is that when it shifts SW, the inside can shut down.

So true and it tends to be really up and down. Best SW days I've had at Coyote have all been way outside (2 miles+) and usually involve an ugly slog at the end!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: