myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Would you recommend it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicosurf

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Would you recommend it? Reply with quote

I found this board for a reasonable price. It is a 116l f2 ride 279. I am a beginner but have had several lessons. I do not want to buy a basic beginner board because I am sure I will want to change it in a short while but I also do not want an extremely difficult board. What do you think?

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.96 KB
 Viewed:  13103 Time(s)

image.jpg

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get the start package? if so, pretend that the start is a give away or throw away. the rest of the gear it comes with is the treasure. this board is good, once you've got 20-30 or so sessions behind you. again, did you get the start pkg? that's the best 1st step that one could imagine for the money.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too small/tippy for a beginner. Eventually you'll get used to it, but if you want to avoid the frustration, pain and shame get something at least 80cm wide and between 140 and 160 lt of volume lets say a modern big volume freeride board that you will use as a light wind board later. Another option for something easy to learn on and have use of it later is a WindSUP, they are lots of fun in light wind regardless of the level you are in. Third option is a long board especially recommendable if you live in a very light wind area.
Of course they are a lot more factors to consider like price, availability, storidge, transportation etc. and of course sails and masts and all the components you need that many times are more important then the board itself. For example you won't progress fast if you don't have diferent sizes boards and the same is true for the sails and other hardware .
The best case scenario will be if you can get hold of cheap used but modern equipment that you will use for a season or two going smaller and smaller every next one and then you will sell it with little loss until you start making your mind what you like and you've gained the experience and knolidge how to take good care of your stuff and then you'll be ready to buy new.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much too small for a beginner, especially in Ft Lauderdale. Athletic or not, you need more volume. Grab that GO if it's still available; you have years or decades to buy smaller stuff, but starting out with smaller stuff, especially in Florida, is a ticket to frustration, hundreds of lost breezy days, and kiting.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i don't recommend it. You need either a starter board, or a long board with centerfin.

you will struggle beyond Nightmare on Elm street and become frustrated

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
spennie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find a used Kona One. You can use it the rest of your life--I just bought one, and I'm an advanced sailor, this is my 23rd season of windsurfing. Good for learning (220 liters), good for teaching, good for small waves, good in light wind, even makes a decent SUP, albeit a bit tippy for that.

A nice floaty FSW is another good choice, say +/- 140 liters.

perevod13

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy it if it is a real bargain but you will use it later. If you plan to be dedicated to learning the sport, you will 'grow' to this board quickly enough. Since this board is probably too technical now, and especially if you are over 160 pounds, find a cheap, large-volume (130 liters at least but the bigger-the better) old school board to master the basics (including the beach start at least). This is what I did. I bought an old o'brian board for $40 and sold it after a few months. It was 125L but I could uphaul the sail comfortably.

Sails, masts, booms, etc., should be as good as you can possibly get them as you will keep on using them until they fail. And always sail in shallow water.

Also, if you buy this board and when you decide to try it, it needs some wind for stability. If you try to use it on a light-wind day, it will be a great balancing exercise. And you are guaranteed to be dragged downwind, keep it in mind.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to take exception with the folks who keep saying,
"buy the advanced board, and save it until you get good enough to use it".
That board is too small to learn on, and storing it in your garage until
you might be able to use it will just clog up your garage, and cause
marital strife. Another good deal will come along, there are plenty of
good used boards out there. Of course, there's always a price, where
it might be tempting (like $50).

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: