myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fair price? can i grow with it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
possum2082

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: fair price? can i grow with it Reply with quote

i'm looking at a 2004 270cm long 90cm wide mistral ntrance. used (supposedly) only 4 times and looks new. 5.7 neil pryde sail, board bag, harness and all the rigging.

he wants 750. i've been looking for a 90cm wide board for a bit now and i stumbled upon this.

also, it has a daggerboard (which i don't really use on my long board anymore).

is this a board i can grow with and is this a fair price?

thanks
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you don't use a daggerboard any more, why would you put up with it on a wide board? On a wide board, a daggerboard is strictly a beginner tool, can't do any real sailing with it down, helps it crawl upwind a bit better. Only adds a lot of weight and slows it down. Assuming you already sail a long board, ntrance will seem like a slug as soon as you learn to plane it. Why do you want a 90cm wide board, do you have the 9.0+ size sail to power it up? If your max sail size is smaller than this, don't need anything wider than 80-85, you will like the lighter easier to carry board. dhmark
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a good deal to me. Ntrance is a great board for learning the basics all the way up to and including planing, harness, footstraps, etc., and it could get you to the next level faster than your current board.

Of course, I can't make a good recommendation unless I know more about what board and sail(s) you're currently using, what level you're at, where you sail, how windy it usually is, and how heavy you are.

If your goal is to get planing then you probably need a bigger sail than 5.7, too.

possum2082

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, guys. let me give you some more info. 185lbs and have been using a 98 f2 phoenix 340 with a 7.3m2 aerotech sail in 15mph winds.

i can tack and jibe and beach start okay.

i was hoping to improve my tacking and jibing. i already have a shorter, skinnier board from a friend (it's been painted over so many times i have no idea what it is, it can be uphauled, though)

i was also hoping to have a wider board to take my son out on and my 125lb wife. every time i take out my friend's old bic nova (90cm wide), i just have a blast.

no delusions of granduer, just wanting a little fun for me and the fam and want to improve my skills a bit.

i was curious what you guys thought of the package and price.

oh yeah, i have been consistently using my harness but haven't gotten in the straps yet.
thanks
nw30

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, one the first part of your question, it's waaay over priced, people are not lined up to buy it, no matter what he says, $500 tops, he's obviously not using it.
Yes, one the second part, you could definately grow with it, at a fair price.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possum2082 wrote:
i can tack and jibe and beach start okay. ... i have been consistently using my harness but haven't gotten in the straps yet.
thanks

A tip for interpreting what you read about boards here and elsewhere and applying it to your needs: When we or the literature mention jibing, it implies planing all the way through, which you're not doing. Thus the nTrance, often praised as a great jibing platform, might be very useful to you.

Mike \m/
mrchocky

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this board (maybe not exact year, but similar age).

It's heavy, but it would be wrong to call it slow; it's not a huge novice board, and it will plane just enough for a beginner. And it's plenty big enough to practice turns.

I'm sure they paid a lot for it new, but alas, it's overpriced 2nd hand.
possum2082

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate all the insight guys...yeah, i'm not planing all the way thru my jibes! oops.

i'll let the guy sit on it another week and offer him 500 and see what he does.

thanks.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possum2082 wrote:

Good plan!

I wasn't real crazy about the Phoenix 340. Slippery unpadded deck with lots of stuff to trip on, not particularly stable, didn't track that well in light winds and didn't plane that well either.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possum2082 wrote:

Why wait? The key word in "asking prices" is "ask", and somebody may beat you to it. Unless the boom is a quality, lightly used, clamp-on aluminum boom and the mast is a good carbon (not fiberglass) mast, just tell him that at a swap meet he'd be lucky to get $60 for the boom, $60 for the mast, $80 for the sail, and $150 for the board, IMO. That's $350. $400 is a fair price, maybe $500 if the boom and mast are carbon and very lightly used.

Or am I too pessimistic with my estimates considering the Florida market?

OTOH, pristine condition and suitability matter. Much depends on your other options and how much one or two hundred bucks means to you. With no shipping costs or taxes, limited selection, hands-on inspection, and a hundred bucks to spare, maybe $600 isn't bad, particularly since you already have a 7.3. That gap is manageable, family fun is priceless, and I saw a lot of very favorable comments when I Googled the board. Just one example is at
http://www.whitecapwindsurfing.com/rental/beginner%27sSails.htm .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: