myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line length, is 22 in. too short?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmf

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The beer belly holds it down

2. No....if you are committed to the harness, it doesn't matter if your arms are bent or not. There is no load on them.

3. I'm 5'7" use 28" lines, (mono's), (seat harness), per Matt P's suggestion and very rarely accidently hook in while jibing, When I do it's because I am not bending the ankles, knees, and hips in the initiation of the gybe, and since I am not going to make a clean gybe at this point anyway, the gybe gods automatically hook me in and slam me into the river.....just for fun....

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
.if you are committed to the harness, it doesn't matter if your arms are bent or not. There is no load on them.

If my arms are straight (presumably near a beam reach), I become a passenger rather than the driver. I can't instantly sheet way in or out without taking time to unhook and change stance. Even Nevin "I wanna just baaaaaaarely be able to reach my booms" Sayer changed that tune. Straight joints are also much more subject to injury from lateral forces.

I think the OP is getting the same message Guy Crib posts regarding sailing geometry questions: 'It depends". I can't imaging WSing without being able to rest my boom on the board tail until I quit falling in, which will signal the end of both my progress and my stoke. That's why I choose water sports over motorcycle and snowmobile racing ... the soft landings. If that limits my progression to the pro ranks (snicker!), so be it; at least my next quarter-million waterstarts will be easy. As a bonus, I don't have to jump into the air to hook in or out, I can actually reach the booms without having to roll my abs up like an armadillo, and I can play spontaneously in four dimensions without having to unhook. It's all about tradeoffs, and my average height, slightly short arms, and short legs are on my side. I can sit in my harness to load up the mast foot or rest my quads, stand up to maneuver or stretch my legs, everything in between, always reach the booms with bot hands, rest my booms on the tip of the tail of any board I've ever ridden, and outrun many or most no-name, ordinary recreational sailors I encounter.

That's good enough for me, and I'm belaboring it for a very specific reason: waterstarting w/o being able to rest the boom on the tail is a PITA, discourages pushing our performance envelope, slows our recreational learning curve, shortens our shred time due to fatigue, and makes me appreciate my shorter stature, which leaves me flapping in the wind when I try higher booms.

I'm sure the pros, from Matt to Guy, are right about obtaining maximum performance with higher booms and longer lines, but for some of us it cuts into the fun too much. We need to realize how few hard and fast rules there are in this sport.
wmike

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I can't imaging WSing without being able to rest my boom on the board tail until I quit falling in

I am 5'9" and have not rested my boom on the back of a board in many years since I went to the newer designs of boards. With 24" lines my boom is about 2" off the end of the board and I have no trouble water starting even when I wipe out in mast high waves in Kanaha or the swells at the Hatch or Rossy. And I fall in a lot and I have been on Medicare for 5 years. I am still experimenting with the 2" lines that Matt P. recommends.

Mike
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6'5 1/2" the only board I can rest my boom on the tail of is my Exocet Windsup Sad and it sure makes things easier, I have even thought about some sort of collapsible bracket for the back of my shorter boards but that's probably not workable.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried hooking directly into your boom? Wink
winfreak

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Blowing your mind Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Have you tried hooking directly into your boom? Wink

interesting idea Laughing

Last edited by winfreak on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing your mind Reply with quote

winfreak wrote:
the focus is on weighting the boom properly, increasing MFP (mast foot pressure) and driving the board with your feet. Sit down, relax, and enjoy the ride....

I'm too young to enjoy relaxing. Maybe when I'm 10-20 years older, if I make it that long (I'm months shy of 70), I'll get back to you. Wink
Right now if I'm not working my ass off out there, it gets bored.
bwill808

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for posting the link I am 6'2 went from 24 to 30 after reading the hyper links posted about the pro's had a way better time and better results from a intermediate level stand point. Next time i am up there i a going to buy 32's and try them.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there's always room for preference, style, location, rigging, body type, blah-blah-blah, I consider this one pretty case closed. Longer is better. More precise control, less work, more power from a smaller sail.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's

and there's

One size doesn't fit all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: