myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crossy saturday 5/25/2013 Reply with quote

buzzwordbrad wrote:

i don't sail crissy much and yesterday was a rare exception. so please what is the proper procedure when you see a kite racer flying at crissy straight downwind at full speed out of control/no way to stop/depower, no room to navigate, overtaking everyone, toward the beach where everyone jibing/crashing/slogging/no wind. well i tried congratulating them on how "forward-thinking" they were being, but i'm open to other ideas for the future.

At Crissy kiters or windsurfers coming toward the beach have right of way because they are on starboard. But if you are also on starboard, and the kiter/windsurfer is overtaking, or in any case (you are on port or starboard) if there is a risk of collision they do not have the right of way (especially if they are the faster vessel as it appears to be your case). Just to say this more clearly: overtaking vessels do not have the right of way, they must give way.

As far as departing from the beach: any vessel at a dock or shore must give right of way to an approaching vessel, in the sense that it should not leave dock or shore if a vessel is approaching. Somehow kiting schools have posted exceptions to this rule (that apply only to kiter-to-kiter interaction, and the fact that for a kiter being on shore is more dangerous than being on water). Possibly as a result I have experienced many occasions in which I am approaching the beach at Crissy and a kiter just takes off (on port side!) crossing my path: they do not have right of way in this case.

In general the number of kiters has decreased significantly at Crissy in the last couple of years, with the exception of racer kites that are still present in sizable numbers. Fortunately kiters tend to get out when the wind is lighter (Saturday there were almost no kiters until 4-4:30) and often stay way upwind toward the north tower (which is kind of suicidal, but that is a different story), or south toward the yacht club when there is a kite race.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"kiters have decreased significantly...", where did they go?
windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Amazingly warm wind today. 4.7 was the call and used by all of the sailors out. Blowing 25 with gusts to 30 mph.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timwnitram wrote:
"kiters have decreased significantly...", where did they go?

I think Ocean beach, or elsewhere? Crissy is a pretty bad kiting venue, you are most often forced to go off shore (toward north tower) and that is kind of "suicidal" with a kite because of the lack of floatation (see the 7 kiters rescued last year out of the gate, or last week episodes).

Personally if I ever picked up a kite I'd train at Coyote until I am ready to go to Ocean Beach ...
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"i don't sail crissy much and yesterday was a rare exception. so please what is the proper procedure when you see a kite racer flying at crissy straight downwind at full speed out of control/no way to stop/depower, no room to navigate, overtaking everyone, toward the beach where everyone jibing/crashing/slogging/no wind. well i tried congratulating them on how "forward-thinking" they were being, but i'm open to other ideas for the future. "

Funny. But I have to say, please get some perspective..

When I used to windsurf and when I was at Chrissy (I was not racing). This is EXACTLY what people said about the course racing windsurfers.. or other sailing craft of the time..

As far as Kiting going someplace else.. Chrissy sucks for kiting (and sometimes for windsurfing too). From the number's a lot of the kiters are on the coast somewhere or another.. They are probably down at Third Ave too but I don't kite in the Bay so I am only guessing..
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Waddell Creek Beach Reply with quote

Great day at Waddelll. There were some really, really good windsurfers there today.
veterduet

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Berkeley Reply with quote

Nice day at Berkekley too. But only really good windsurfers there.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R & G, got there at 6, guys finishing on 4.7's, we rig 5's and get an hour and a half well powered at the channel.
bert

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Coyote Reply with quote

4.7/110 at Coyote. Used the big board because it was flooding, WSW, and no fog bank above the City, making the wind untrustworthy. Wind was 22 when I launched and dropped to 16 within a half hour. I found good wind above the airport towards Oyster so I was planing much of the time. One other sailor out there and he sailed from Embassy Suites.
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.7 on a Firemove 110? Are you more or less than 160lbs if you don't mind me asking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 420 of 427

Jump to: