myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to recover a capsized board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joris00

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: How to recover a capsized board? Reply with quote

This is probably a really lame question, but I am still in the early learning stages...
During one of my falls, the board turned upside-down. I suppose I have put more pressure on the rail at the time I was falling into the water. The board is 150 L, no daggerboard.
I made some attempts to recover it, but I don't have much leverage while in water. Then I started rowing, but the sail has a big drag underwater. I wasn't far from the coast and maybe would have made it somehow (this is a smallish lake), but pretty soon coast guard came to the rescue... Neutral

I know the best strategy is "just don't do it", and as my skills improve, it's less likely to happen... but what are my options when it does happen? I want to be more self-reliant.

Thank you!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim to the BACK of the board.

Grab the tip of the fin and one of the back corners of the board. Or just grab both back corners of the board.

Roll it / flip it by using a circular motion.

windward1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Small Lake Coast Guard Reply with quote

Hi Joris00,

I am curious....where is this "smallish lake" that has Coast Guard services?

Regards,

Windward1
adywind

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a PFD, you'll have much more leverage. Helps tremendously with waterstarting too, when you'll need the leverage to lift the sail.
Joris00

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Smile windward1, very correct, this is not Coast Guard, just lake patrol.
MattD

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the board flips over and the mast is pointing directly down, what you want to do is rotate the board laterally until the board touches the mast, then hold onto the board's rails either side of the mast as you lean back. You might want to orient your board to a favorable position such that when you rotate the board laterally, it leans towards you rather than away. It may be slow at first, but eventually the rig will come up and the board will flip. Same deal as righting a dinghy, except you don't have a centerboard for added leverage.

I guess if you have a very wide board and short arms this might be a little difficult.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Swim to the BACK of the board.

Grab the tip of the fin and one of the back corners of the board. Or just grab both back corners of the board.

Roll it / flip it by using a circular motion.

This is what I do. It is also easier when you can lift a bit the board before rolling it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: