myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Concession Opportunity (foster city)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ochilton

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Concession Opportunity (foster city) Reply with quote

Here is an article written by Glenn Taylor, former concession owner at the Foster City lagoon.

Windsurfing and other watersports concession coming up for bid in Foster City.

When this concession was run in the 1980s it had better management than it has currently. Were it to have the same volumes today that it had then it would be netting well over $200,000 annually to its operator and over $70,000 to the City of Foster City, assuming former percentages. The concession is coming up for bid in December 2013 but in order that a would-be bidder have a good perspective on the opportunity those who are interested are invited to visit the Shell Blvd. side of the Ryan Park Lagoon on any Tuesday evening between 6PM and 8PM in May, June or July to to chat with (and sail with) some people who are knowledgeable about the concession. The exact location is north of the boat ramp (toward rec. center) and just south of the Boccie Ball courts. If you already are a boardsailor you can bring your equipment to test your skills. The group that meets on Tuesdays uses 12' boards with 7.5 sq. m. sails.

It takes serious mental and some physical effort to operate this concession and willingness to constantly hire and train employees. It is not a one-person job but the operator should be able to perform all the tasks required which include: Teaching Windsurfing lessons, Repairing equipment, Scheduling instructors and repair personnel, and most importanly, running promotions and maintaining a solid schedule of advertising.

OCCUPATION REQUIREMENTS: the concession operator should be energetic, imaginative, a decent sailboard sailor, who can use software {best would be they CAN WRITE IT! (MySQL + Excel could do it)} Other qualities that are very useful: total punctuality, good speaking skills, organizational skills, photography skills.

Many television shows were made about the operations of this concession in the 1980s (part of the job is to get media coverage). Several of the TV shows are on YouTube, including one made by Good Morning America (with RIAA required sound edit).
This link gives a page where the YouTube videos are linked:
http://fleet18.org/video.htm

An important part of running this concession, a part which is currently missing, is having a low-cost advanced lessons program. Knoledge of saiboat racing is crucial for conducting this program but this is a knowledge that is easily and cheaply acquired. The advanced lessons started for this concesion helped three people participate in Olympic games. Links to information about this can be found here:
http://fleet18.org/advanced-training.htm
http://fleet18.org/index.html

FC_windsurfing_concession.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.97 KB
 Viewed:  28264 Time(s)

FC_windsurfing_concession.jpg

ochilton

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective, windsurf racing may pick-up at the lagoon if promoted properly. I have been sailing with these guys for a couple of years now and pretty often I'll see the beginners want to get involved in a race, but their rental gear is so lacking there is just no point.

What I think is a big opportunity there is paddle racing, especially SUP. SUP is so hot at the moment that if a concession owner were to get organized, renting out SUP boards and arranging regular races, then I think interest would explode.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck in a time warp, might as well try an open a racquetball court.
surfskimd

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 80's the lagoon was not as shielded from wind as it is now, with those monstrous buildings blocking the wind. I lived on the lagoon in 1991-2 and windsurfed from my backyard. The sailing there now is so inferior to what is close by at 3rd ave and Coyote, that I don't really see the interest. If you want to learn how to windsurf, than I think Boardsports school in Coyote or Alameda or even Mountain Views shoreline lagoon are much better places to learn with better wind. Stand up paddle boarding there however would probably be a good idea.
trey

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Glenn Taylor?
ochilton

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, Glenn is stuck in a bit of a time warp. I'm just interested to get someone in the concession who has a bit more get-up-and-go than the existing crew there.
ochilton

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trey wrote:
Does anybody know how to get in touch with Glenn Taylor?

Check out the Fleet 18 website and look under the "Fleet Officers" link.
http://fleet18.org/index.html
naylor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Glenn move to the gorge many years ago and become a real estate tycoon?
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn and Kris are frequent sailors at Coyote and I saw them at 3rd a few weeks ago checking out the kite scene.
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the city's take is too big to operate a commercial business? A 26% take is pretty high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: